follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-07-2015, 04:40 AM   #1
awhatzable

Drives: GTS86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I need help with selling my car on carsales.

My car is a little over 2 years old. My state doesn't require a roadworthy certificate, I was wondering if that would that put buyers off if I try selling without one?

Also, what is the best way to receive payment from a buyer? What is the process like?

Is there anything I should watch out for?

This is the first time I'm selling a car privately and I don't have anyone else around me that can help me through the process.
awhatzable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:24 AM   #2
MasonL1997

Drives: Man
Garage
Send a message via AIM to MasonL1997 Send a message via Yahoo to MasonL1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhatzable View Post
My car is a little over 2 years old. My state doesn't require a roadworthy certificate, I was wondering if that would that put buyers off if I try selling without one?

Also, what is the best way to receive payment from a buyer? What is the process like?

Is there anything I should watch out for?

This is the first time I'm selling a car privately and I don't have anyone else around me that can help me through the process.
I bought second hand recently, and my folks have sold cars on carsales before.

1st. People prefer a road worthy, just so they know the vehicle is in condition to be driven. Yeah its only a 2 year old car, but it all helps. Plus, you dont close your doors to any potential buyers. So a road worthy is definitely recommended. Especially when its not needed in your state, it helps you differ your car from the crowd.

2. Receiving of the money is ultimately up to the buyer, they may prefer a direct bank transfer, cheque, or cash. I paid cash for mine and a lot of people do prefer cash.

3. Watch out for buyers from other states! Its highly recommended to only sell to those within your state. For example, people who may be on oil riggers and wanting to buy the car and sending someone else to look at the car. It actually happens very often as odd as it sounds. Very risky business, and dont even respond to their interest if their from another state. Also, 'tyre kickers' people who just come for a look to suss out the car and waste your time, dont offer them a test drive if theyre not really interested. If theyre interested, on their first time, you take them for the drive and then if they come a second time and are keen, then offer them a test drive. But make sure you get their license details, address, name, etc. etc.

I too bought off Carsales, so best of luck with your sale mate!

Mason
MasonL1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
awhatzable

Drives: GTS86
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonL1997 View Post
I bought second hand recently, and my folks have sold cars on carsales before.

1st. People prefer a road worthy, just so they know the vehicle is in condition to be driven. Yeah its only a 2 year old car, but it all helps. Plus, you dont close your doors to any potential buyers. So a road worthy is definitely recommended. Especially when its not needed in your state, it helps you differ your car from the crowd.

2. Receiving of the money is ultimately up to the buyer, they may prefer a direct bank transfer, cheque, or cash. I paid cash for mine and a lot of people do prefer cash.

3. Watch out for buyers from other states! Its highly recommended to only sell to those within your state. For example, people who may be on oil riggers and wanting to buy the car and sending someone else to look at the car. It actually happens very often as odd as it sounds. Very risky business, and dont even respond to their interest if their from another state. Also, 'tyre kickers' people who just come for a look to suss out the car and waste your time, dont offer them a test drive if theyre not really interested. If theyre interested, on their first time, you take them for the drive and then if they come a second time and are keen, then offer them a test drive. But make sure you get their license details, address, name, etc. etc.

I too bought off Carsales, so best of luck with your sale mate!

Mason
I've head of that oil riggers scam before but I don't get how they can scam you. Can you explain ?

Also, did you meet your seller at his property or at a public area?

Last edited by awhatzable; 12-08-2015 at 10:25 PM.
awhatzable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:07 AM   #4
MasonL1997

Drives: Man
Garage
Send a message via AIM to MasonL1997 Send a message via Yahoo to MasonL1997
Quote:
I've head of that oil riggers scam before but I don't get how they can scam you. Can you explain ?

Also, did you meet your seller at his property or at a public area?
Not too sure how they can scam you to be absolutely honest with you. Not sure whether its through bank details, sending around 'a mate' and wasting time or taking the vehicle for a spin.

I met with the bloke at his property, and have done with most cars ive looked at. However, if it comforts you then just meet in a public place. But theres usually no issues having someone come around to view the car.
MasonL1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:58 AM   #5
lukey86
Built Not Bought

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86 ZN6
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Usually what they do is give you some story about buying it for a relative and how they're isolated on the oil rig and that they can't just come and get it so they want to organize to have it shipped. That's where the scam lies, they tell you that they've transferred the money to Paypal but they forgot the shipping and ask if you could pay the shipping. They even send a fake Paypal receipt to make you think you've received the money. I know this because I sold a bike on eBay once and got one of them, I decided to go along with it to find out how they actually scam people. Once I found out I sent them a barrage of abuse and reported them lol. Easiest way to avoid them is to ignore any and all emails from potential buyers and if you receive a text message make sure its a standard mobile number because they do it through text too..
lukey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lukey86 For This Useful Post:
MasonL1997 (12-14-2015)