follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2015, 09:36 PM   #15
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhatzable View Post
Would people still pay good money online for car with this much damage outside ? Every other gt86 I see on carsales seem to be in top condition.
I'm not too sure on value myself. Look for whatever is the Aussie equivalent of KBB and check there. Also, replace your damaged tire.

Regarding your desire for a new color and auto transmission, my recommendation to you would be to look elsewhere. This is still not worth it.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
awhatzable (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 10:03 PM   #16
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do you have a backup car to use in between the time you private sell the old car and until you can get into your desired twin? If so you will get more money doing a private sale then via a dealer trade in.

I'll assume there is <insert random really good reason> for swapping to an A/T, not that there is anything wrong with that. Hell I love my A/T to bits.

Whichever way you decide to get rid of the old car, if looking to get a better price for your car, it might be worth going round to a few panel beaters and get some quotes to fix up your paint chips.

Ironically I just got back from an Auto One store who do custom mix touch up paint and am getting some made for my Crystal White Pearl. I crunched one of the front fangs on a small concrete barrier and tore off a few chunks of paint down to the black plastic of the bumper. Sounds worse than it is, but I can relate to the desire to keep the car clean and blemish free.

If on a budget then that is also an option for you. You can pop your bonnet and check the compliance plate for your paint code and get a quote for some to be mixed up for you to touch up with.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:05 PM   #17
STZ

Drives: '15 WRB BRZ Sport-tech
Quote:
Would people still pay good money online for car with this much damage outside ? Every other gt86 I see on carsales seem to be in top condition.
The issue here isn't what it's "actual" value is. Some minor cosmetic scratches don't really hurt the car's real value. However, if I were to buy a used car and I saw those scratches, I would think "wow the owner isn't careful with his car/doesn't care about his car/is bad at driving and hits curbs, he must also do stuff like overrev/bog the engine/stall frequently" and probably move onto the next just to get peace of mind.
STZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STZ For This Useful Post:
KR-S (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 10:15 PM   #18
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Drives: 2013 BRZ DMG
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ok. I've labeled the damages in red
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
I'm not too sure on value myself. Look for whatever is the Aussie equivalent of KBB and check there. Also, replace your damaged tire.

Regarding your desire for a new color and auto transmission, my recommendation to you would be to look elsewhere. This is still not worth it.
KRS is right. 5000aud/3.5k is asking too much. A 10k mile frs would cost atleast 22kwhile a 40-50k miles frs would cost 18k in the US. (Im assuming this isnt in Kilometer) Even if it is kilometer the price would be off by atleast 3k or more based on miles.
BlackJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackJesus For This Useful Post:
KR-S (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #19
1Cor10:23

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S (M/T)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
All your damage is on plastic components (except for wheel). You could have that all replaced with new and painted for probably 25% of the price difference between the two, let alone the 30K difference in mileage.

No way I would do this.
1Cor10:23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1Cor10:23 For This Useful Post:
KR-S (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #20
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Note that the guy is in Australia. They use the metric system there.

So 46K is actually about 28,600 miles there. OP's 11k is about 6,800.

That's still a 21,800 mile difference, which is still huge.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:03 PM   #21
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Drives: 2013 BRZ DMG
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
Note that the guy is in Australia. They use the metric system there.

So 46K is actually about 28,600 miles there. OP's 11k is about 6,800.

That's still a 21,800 mile difference, which is still huge.
6k Frs usually cost 23-25k
while a 22k miles cost 19k-20k
Still a good 3k+ in pricing. Not sure how pricing goes in AUS tho. Auto trans only cost about 1k more. This dealer is trying to make a decent profit from OP. Best bet is ask for an even trade in.
BlackJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:28 PM   #22
zman

Drives: scion frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had the same story but I wanted a manual. I would pass on that deal. Put up ads on your local classifieds im sure a lot of people would love a manual instead of auto(me). And if you do decide to trade with a dealer but look for a car with the same milage as yours

Sent from my iPhone using you know what
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:58 PM   #23
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJesus View Post
6k Frs usually cost 23-25k
while a 22k miles cost 19k-20k
Still a good 3k+ in pricing. Not sure how pricing goes in AUS tho. Auto trans only cost about 1k more. This dealer is trying to make a decent profit from OP. Best bet is ask for an even trade in.
I wouldn't trade for a car that has more miles, though. What happened in those 46,000 kilometers? For all we know, the dealership might actually be trying to sell him a lemon, and apparently, Australia's lemon laws over there are near non-existent.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:18 AM   #24
awhatzable

Drives: GTS86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Do you have a backup car to use in between the time you private sell the old car and until you can get into your desired twin? If so you will get more money doing a private sale then via a dealer trade in.

I'll assume there is <insert random really good reason> for swapping to an A/T, not that there is anything wrong with that. Hell I love my A/T to bits.

Whichever way you decide to get rid of the old car, if looking to get a better price for your car, it might be worth going round to a few panel beaters and get some quotes to fix up your paint chips.

Ironically I just got back from an Auto One store who do custom mix touch up paint and am getting some made for my Crystal White Pearl. I crunched one of the front fangs on a small concrete barrier and tore off a few chunks of paint down to the black plastic of the bumper. Sounds worse than it is, but I can relate to the desire to keep the car clean and blemish free.

If on a budget then that is also an option for you. You can pop your bonnet and check the compliance plate for your paint code and get a quote for some to be mixed up for you to touch up with.
Is it possible to have a new white paint blend in with the old ? I thought it would be near impossible since the original paint fades overtime and the difference in weather.

How did your paint job go ?Any pictures ?
awhatzable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:45 AM   #25
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Quote:
Is it possible to have a new white paint blend in with the old ? I thought it would be near impossible since the original paint fades overtime and the difference in weather.

How did your paint job go ?Any pictures ?
I'm still in the process of getting it mixed up / ordered. That aside my car lives in a home or work garage and is kept washed / polished and otherwise show room condition. I'll certainly know better once I try applying the touch up paint, but in the end we are only talking about some small nicks needing a touch up.

Were the damage anything more I'd of got a panel beater to sand it down and respray the spot along with a larger area to blend it all in. Having Crystal White Pearl I hear its less of a pain to match than SWP is.

Also have you considered one of those mobile detailers? Some will do minor paint repair including resprays in your driveway.
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:33 AM   #26
Cedars
Banned

Drives: gt86
Hi guys im new here but with a bit of knowledge in buying and selling used cars. From my experience its not really the model that counts but the mileage, the auto has a lot of mileage on it compared to yours, you have no idea if that car was used for drifting or has had any accidents either. Your car has 11k on it its basically still new. Those denys can be fixed with touch up paint and then theres the tire, if its a cosmetic tear there is no real danger but if u are worried about it exploding while ur on the road then maybe invest in new tires, 11k is not a lot but they are almost 3 years old so it may be a good idea to invest in 4 new tires ( ive had a tire blow out in a honda crx once at 150kms per hour, and that wasnt very funny) dont overlook the tires, that can get you into big trouble. As for manual to auto im a manual freak myself and believe this car was born to be a manual but its a matter of what you prefer. To cut a long story short, go with a low mileage car, your manual is 3 times less mileage it would be a shame to let her go for something with higher mileage.
Cedars is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cedars For This Useful Post:
KR-S (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 07:21 AM   #27
slicktop

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS 2JZ-GTE/V160 swapped
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Remember that the dealership is a business and they will only offer you something if it benefits them. If you're cool with taking a hit because you want an automatic transmission, then so be it. Their "perfect" car was likely touched up. Cars with that many miles, this quickly, would have had blemishes more like yours.

Just my thoughts.

2013 Scion FRS
2JZ-GTE/V160 Swap Build Thread
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:28 AM   #28
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Don't do it.

Why?

Your car has fewer miles. Damage is light and cosmetic. Financially does not make sense.
And lastly ... in the world of enthusiasts cars ... Manuals are becoming rare. Cherish it now because the world is heading towards automatics and self driving cars.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote