follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2021, 03:24 PM   #1
RennHL

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 base
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Greddy T518Z Turbo

Hello all,

I am looking to install a Greddy T518Z turbo kit as stated in the title. My engine is stock, just have some Crawford manifold spacers.
I want to make sure that I have all the parts I need to get the turbo installed and tuned.

First off the impossible question... can my stock engine handle the boost?
You don't have to answer that, I know there are so many thinks to look at when answering this question, and in the end it could last years or it could ast days.

I was wondering if I will need an aftermarket MAF sensor? I think that I saw Ecuteck needs a 4 bar MAF sensor ? Is this true ?
If so if anyone has installed this kit and got a senor please let me know which one you got.

Also I don't have a Ecuteck tune yet but it seems like that is the best tuner for the 86/BRZ/FRS.

Do I also need an aftermarket oil pan ? I read that somewhere and was not sure if it was correct.

Any additional information about turbo kits that people have run into while installing or maybe problems that had after install would be muchly appreciated.
Thanks !
RennHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 03:29 PM   #2
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RennHL View Post
Hello all,

I am looking to install a Greddy T518Z turbo kit as stated in the title. My engine is stock, just have some Crawford manifold spacers.
I want to make sure that I have all the parts I need to get the turbo installed and tuned.

First off the impossible question... can my stock engine handle the boost?
You don't have to answer that, I know there are so many thinks to look at when answering this question, and in the end it could last years or it could ast days.

I was wondering if I will need an aftermarket MAF sensor? I think that I saw Ecuteck needs a 4 bar MAF sensor ? Is this true ?
If so if anyone has installed this kit and got a senor please let me know which one you got.

Also I don't have a Ecuteck tune yet but it seems like that is the best tuner for the 86/BRZ/FRS.

Do I also need an aftermarket oil pan ? I read that somewhere and was not sure if it was correct.

Any additional information about turbo kits that people have run into while installing or maybe problems that had after install would be muchly appreciated.
Thanks !
As with anything in life, there are no gaurantees but you can do things to mitigate risk. The general consensus is to stay below 300whp. You should have access to high quality fuel, get an oil cooler, install a catch can/s, consider larger injectors if running e85, consider an e85 flex fuel kit, and get a good tune by a good tuner. Also you will likely have to change your clutch sooner rather than later. Do all of these things and you have greatly reduced the likelihood your engine will blow, but risk is never zero.

You have to weld a drain to your pain OR you can get an aftermarket pan with a predrilled hole.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:47 PM   #3
RennHL

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 base
Appreciate the quick response,
How would I size my fuel injectors, I see there is any range from 450-2100CC injectors.
What does a Flex Fuel kit actually do for the car? I guess i'm still a little confused about the MAF sensor and if I need one or not, also my car is automatic :/
RennHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 05:34 PM   #4
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RennHL View Post
Appreciate the quick response,
How would I size my fuel injectors, I see there is any range from 450-2100CC injectors.
What does a Flex Fuel kit actually do for the car? I guess i'm still a little confused about the MAF sensor and if I need one or not, also my car is automatic :/
Most seem to just do 700cc injectors which will give you plenty of headroom. I'm assuming you mean map sensor? Plenty of people seem to have 3bars in their builds, but check with your tuner.

Flex fuel allows you to run e85 and will accomodate varying levels of ethanol in the fuel and adjust fueling as needed. This is useful if you have e85 near you. e85 is cool because e100 has a VERY high effective octane in direct injection engines (160), thus this will reduce the chances of preignition/detonation (you can also make a lot more power with ethanol as timing/boost can be pushed)

Do you have a tuner yet? Or are you still in the tentative planning stages?
Old 04-30-2021, 10:49 PM   #5
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Do you already have a kit or have a used one lined up? This kit is discontinued.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:53 AM   #6
Pippoemme

Drives: Toyota GT86 2016
T518Z and ECU tuning

Hi all,

I installed the T518Z kit 6 weeks ago, then I got stuck with the process of ECU tuning, for reasons independent of my will.

So my car actually just roughly climbs up to 4000 rpm then stops.... what a pity.

No tuner with experience on GT86 seems to be available in my area (Sicily-Italy) so I must deal with tuners who provide the iterative e-tune procedure only (the tuner sends me a tentative tune file, i upload it and record some logs while testing the car, then I send the logs to the tuner by email and he sends me back a tune file update).

Could someone of you please tell me where did you get your ECU tuning and if he provedes the e-tuning service?

Also someone sharing tune files for GT86 with whatever turbo kit would be of help, in case i cannot unlock my current situation.

Many thanks in advance,

Giuseppe
Pippoemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:50 AM   #7
Thefalls

Drives: Corolla GT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I think its better you post in the Software Tuning section.

There is someone from Italy who regularly posts there.
Thefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:19 PM   #8
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippoemme View Post
Hi all,

I installed the T518Z kit 6 weeks ago, then I got stuck with the process of ECU tuning, for reasons independent of my will.

So my car actually just roughly climbs up to 4000 rpm then stops.... what a pity.

No tuner with experience on GT86 seems to be available in my area (Sicily-Italy) so I must deal with tuners who provide the iterative e-tune procedure only (the tuner sends me a tentative tune file, i upload it and record some logs while testing the car, then I send the logs to the tuner by email and he sends me back a tune file update).

Could someone of you please tell me where did you get your ECU tuning and if he provedes the e-tuning service?

Also someone sharing tune files for GT86 with whatever turbo kit would be of help, in case i cannot unlock my current situation.

Many thanks in advance,

Giuseppe
Have you considered having @CounterSpace Garage tuning your car remotely? They've tuned more of these than anyone else in the world, the vast majority of them remotely.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 03:52 AM   #9
Pippoemme

Drives: Toyota GT86 2016
thank you Thefalls, thank you CSG Mike,

I'll try both ways for finding a solution,

hope to post some good news about the subject sooner or later,
cheers,

Giuseppe
Pippoemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:04 PM   #10
Krazyyykevin

Drives: 2020 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Have you considered having @CounterSpace Garage tuning your car remotely? They've tuned more of these than anyone else in the world, the vast majority of them remotely.

I agree with mike, i did a remote tune through CSG for my turbo build and it went flawlessly
Krazyyykevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forced induction, greddy, install, maf sensor, turbo