follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 08-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #407
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
"The GR Yaris is a homologation car; it wouldn't surprise me if there were design considerations made to this car that wouldn't be applied to a street car.
Given the car can vary between 100% rwd to 100% fwd I am suggesting the "quality" of rotation is variable."

Yes, this is the cool, meaningful bit. I wonder what the power distribution setup was like in that video. Because, while one can only tell so much from a video, it sure looked and sounded like it plowed a lot. Well....like most other street cars, I guess.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:49 AM   #408
Galerion

Drives: Toyota GR Yaris
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I think this video until the 8:10 mark does a good in giving insight into the topic of "rotation". That being said this is no GT 86. The car is built for grip and comes from the factory with some very good rubber. You certainly shouldn't expect the ass to get out of line on every single corner that you take.

I also just ordered mine. High Performance version in Pearl White. Non-committal delivery date is April 2021. So the big waiting game has begun
Galerion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Galerion For This Useful Post:
JD001 (08-10-2020), nikitopo (08-10-2020), why? (08-14-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #409
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galerion View Post

I think this video until the 8:10 mark does a good in giving insight into the topic of "rotation". That being said this is no GT 86. The car is built for grip and comes from the factory with some very good rubber. You certainly shouldn't expect the ass to get out of line on every single corner that you take.

I also just ordered mine. High Performance version in Pearl White. Non-committal delivery date is April 2021. So the big waiting game has begun
Well done. Any ideas on numbers available/sold?
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #410
Galerion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
Well done. Any ideas on numbers available/sold?
My dealer said he already sold a few. I also heard somewhere there have been over 6000 preorders already which is pretty good when you consider that there will be only 25000 and that at this point in time you have buy it blind just like I did.
The Following User Says Thank You to Galerion For This Useful Post:
JD001 (08-10-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 03:32 PM   #411
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Yeah, that looks much more interesting now. He was countersteering in places. Nice. My hope has been renewed.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:08 AM   #412
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
JD001 (08-13-2020), why? (08-14-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 05:19 AM   #413
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
which is pretty good when you consider that there will be only 25000
I thought I had read that it was a "production" car. That is, there is no hard limit on the number of cars produced.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:01 AM   #414
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I appreciate it's impossible to separate the marketing spiel from reality. Impossible.

But having said that it was said of the modern GT40 that Ford designed a race car first then made it road legal as opposed to the other way around.

The GR Yaris is a homologation car; it wouldn't surprise me if there were design considerations made to this car that wouldn't be applied to a street car.
Given the car can vary between 100% rwd to 100% fwd I am suggesting the "quality" of rotation is variable.

Design considerations yes, but after the fiasco of idiots crashing FRS in the first week of the car being out I would not be surprised if the car had tons of understeer dialed in to make sure no one does something so moronic. I also would bet there are ways to easily fix it.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:22 AM   #415
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I thought I had read that it was a "production" car. That is, there is no hard limit on the number of cars produced.
Every production car has a limit on how many are produced, doesn't it?

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:10 AM   #416
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Every production car has a limit on how many are produced, doesn't it?
Gordon Murray says there are going to be 100 T.50 street and 25 track T.50 cars made. That is, a set, fixed number of cars.

Toyota does not announce how many Camrys they are going to build.
My post was suggesting the GR Yaris was closer to the Camry non-announcement than the Murray fixed number announcement. That is, The GR Yaris is not a "limited" production run.

The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 08:28 AM   #417
nikitopo

Quote:
That is, The GR Yaris is not a "limited" production run.
It is NOT a limited production car and there is not any relationship with homologation. The days a manufacturer had to produce a street car "close" to the rally specifications is over for decades. Toyota was using for at least 2-3 years a Yaris WRC car without having a Yaris AWD production model. I would say that the 25000 number is a threshold to mark the model either successful or not in terms of margin performance and internal targets.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:33 AM   #418
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
It is NOT a limited production car and there is not any relationship with homologation. The days a manufacturer had to produce a street car "close" to the rally specifications is over for decades. Toyota was using for at least 2-3 years a Yaris WRC car without having a Yaris AWD production model. I would say that the 25000 number is a threshold to mark the model either successful or not in terms of margin performance and internal targets.

I've read a few articles saying Toyota has to build 25,000 cars to meet homologation.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:14 AM   #419
nikitopo

Quote:
I've read a few articles saying Toyota has to build 25,000 cars to meet homologation.
This was more a marketing driven decision and not so much an engineering driven decision. You can check the complete details below. Here is an excerpt:

Ask any current designer for the best base model for a World Rally Car and they’ll take you to the base model found up and down supermarket car parks.

What they won’t ask for is the marketing-driven, gen z-focused hot road car which comes in almost as wide as a current World Rally Car. It’s true. Ogier’s car in Sweden this week was based on a road car 1510mm wide. Elfyn’s Yaris in 12 months will have come off a hot hatch 1805mm wide – that’s only 70-mil narrower than the Yaris WRC.

One rival designer admitted this had caused the odd bit of head scratching.

“You want the narrowest car possible,” they said. “That gives you as much room as possible to work to the maximum width – that’s where the freedom is. Starting with a very wide road car could potentially compromise the World Rally Car.”

https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/toyot...earned-so-far/
Old 08-13-2020, 03:20 PM   #420
Galerion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
The new WRC car is based on the GR Yaris though and not the normal one therefore it requires homologation.

In the footnotes of this official article from Toyota they also mention that.

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/to...RfDOXL8.mailto

The car will be in production for a year and 25.000 will be built. That's why Toyota has given people the option to reserve one. Once they are all accounted for it's done.
25.000 is still plenty though. I don't think there will be too many people disappointed that they can't get one. Besides all the people in NA of course.

It will certainly not be the same situation as with my Yaris GRMN which is so rare most people have never seen one before.
The Following User Says Thank You to Galerion For This Useful Post:
why? (08-14-2020)