follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2020, 08:51 PM   #113
bmacfrs

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So how much grease do you put in a joint?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2020, 12:52 AM   #114
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacfrs View Post
So how much grease do you put in a joint?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I pack the outer joint to fill the the cup (joint installed) basically flush with the cup, nothing in the boot. I pack the inner cup about 1/3rd full before I put the joint in it and then add a bit more but it’s not packed totally full and definitely nothing extra in the boot.

Im not particular enough to measure the grease first for a perfect, exact amount.
BatStig (02-23-2021), bmacfrs (06-03-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 09:01 PM   #115
rice_classic

Update

Update from Previous race weekend:
I found out that there was an error in the timing/scoring from the Pacific Raceways Majors event 2 weeks ago. While I did finish 2nd place on Saturday - I did in fact - resent the track record by 1.3 seconds! Previous was 1:36.1 and the new is 1:34.8.

Axle update
The breather tubes where perfect and only a smidge of grease found its way out which suggests what I suspected - that I use too much grease.

Last weekend update and videos:
Last weekend was the double regional. Saturday was the rain dance and Sunday was flat out in the dry. I think either I or Totemo reset the T4 track record here but we have to wait for official results to post. Totemo set down a SMOKIN' qualifying pole position of a 1:57.0 - ZERO T4 cars managed a 56 that weekend.

In this race video - we lined up on grid with our slicks gambling that it would stay dry. It did not as you can see and Totemo and managed to retain 1st and 2nd while searching for grip.

In race #2 on Sunday it was dry. Totemo on pole with A7s and I went out on my R7s - planning on being rough on my tires for the entire race. The black RX8 that passes me is technically a T4 car but was not entered in T4 that weekend - it was also driven by a professional driver. Knowing that I wasn't competing with him, I did not attempt to stay too close because he felt it necessary to kick up rocks every chance he got. Maybe OK in the pros, but in club racing, it's consider unsportsmanlike. I wish I had my rearview adjusted better because Totemo was relentless. Maybe he'll share his footage.
mistople (06-08-2020), NoHaveMSG (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 09:33 PM   #116
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,248 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Congrats on the track record. That is a HUGE margin. Looking forward to watching the videos. I like seeing what you share. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:36 PM   #117
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
1:57.0 with a 55mm restrictor plate and minimum 2950 weight That's badass.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:57 AM   #118
Totemo_Hayai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'll post my video in a few days, Monday through Wednesday is pretty busy to accommodate COVID changes. I'll also update my build thread with some information that might be helpful for those interested in slightly lower cost builds. It's still expensive, just not as expensive.
Rampage (06-10-2020), treedodger (06-11-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 12:43 PM   #119
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,298 Times in 992 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Great thread...making me think about re-purposing my HPDE car to a T4 car...
Old 06-14-2020, 02:02 AM   #120
Totemo_Hayai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Here is Sunday's video. My car will not downshift into 2nd gear this season so I gave up on using it, except for the last lap where there was nothing to lose buy attempting to use it. I also need to figure out how to not get passed at the start.

NoHaveMSG (06-14-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #121
rice_classic

The Road so Far...

So as it stands, I have learned some valuable things this year.

1: The SCCA is an interesting organization to race with as they rarely penalize avoidable contact and when they do it has to be A) egregious and usually only results in B) a wrist slap. So if want to go racing, which I highly recommend, just keep in mind that the SCCA does nothing to deter bad behavior so get to know the guys you're racing with and learn who is and who isn't dangerous and drive accordingly. Or, focus on racing with other organizations like ICSCC or LuckyDog.

2: These cars like high octane. 100 Octane tuning found us 1 to 1.5 seconds because it lifts the entire dynograph line across the board.

3: Axles - proper grease and a vent solved the issue.

4: Due to the routing of our exhaust system - we add lots of heat to our differentials and the fluid needs to be changed often or something like a Greddy Diff cover should be used (I just installed mine). The same goes for transmission - change the fluid every 2-3 race weekends.

5: A restrictive exhaust has as surprising negative net loss on power. My straight through TF Works Race exhaust exceeded a sound ordinance with a local racing club, so I had to run my quiet exhaust (Tanabe Concept G) and it was like I effectively gave up 5whp. Which is too bad because I really really like the Tanabe exhaust and sound note. BTW: both of these exhausts are for sale as I switched to something else.

Pacific Majors race in May:
1st race = 2nd place (T4 track record, 1:34.885)
2nd race = dnf (broken axle)

The Ridge double regional:
1st race = 2nd place
2nd race = 1st place

Portland Majors race in July:
1st race = 3rd place and contact (twice)
2nd race = 1st place by .002 of a second.

This is the Portland July Majors SATURDAY race. I'm in contention for 2nd place as the Mazda3 was too far ahead in first. On the last lap, Totemo's brakes failed and I thought he turn down toward the apex, so when I turned in I was not expecting to meet up with him.

This is the Portland July Majors SUNDAY race. I get shuffled back to 5th or 6th right at the start but then the RX8 decides to drive into the red FRS taking one contender out. The FRS rejoins the race and later has an incident with the RX8 - so now I'm by myself setting better-than-qualifying times only to catch 1st and 2nd place on the last 3 laps - and I'll let you enjoy the finale. Make sure you watch until the very end though - I included a little treat from someone else's camera while waiting for scales.

"The Drama Llama"

Totemo and I are now qualified to compete in the National Runoffs event at Road America in October. That is still the plan, we hope you'll cheer us on.

Comparing our times and efforts to those in the PacNW and pulling from other result data - we are hopeful to find our selves somewhere close to the top 10 if we do well.

Many of the guys and gals that race at the very front (or win) at the Runoffs are very well funded or have race shops (Dynasty, Jackson, Leverone etc). I am neither of those, so my results at the runoffs should be indicative of what anyone else could do with a moderate budget and an extra bay in their garage, and I hope many folks will see some level of hope in that.
AllThePeat (08-05-2020), bmacfrs (08-01-2020), Code Monkey (08-03-2020), DarkSunrise (08-01-2020), femaledog (08-04-2020), Ghost of Akina (08-03-2020), KR-S (08-02-2020), new2subaru (08-03-2020), NoHaveMSG (08-01-2020), Opie (08-03-2020), Pat (08-02-2020), Racecomp Engineering (08-03-2020), Rampage (08-06-2020), strat61caster (08-03-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 11:21 PM   #122
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,572 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Lol wtf was all the drama about at the end of that last video?

Fantastic finish btw!
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:06 PM   #123
rice_classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Lol wtf was all the drama about at the end of that last video?

Fantastic finish btw!
The drivers were in the STU class, a CRX and FRS. Apparently they've been in a very tight points battle that is very meaningful to the both of them and they have a history with each other that came to ahead at scales when they came together during the race.

This could have easily been nipped in the bud early in the season, however, when the sanctioning body takes a completely hands off approach to penalizing poor driving and avoidable contact - this behavior, this outcome, is inevitable.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #124
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
The drivers were in the STU class, a CRX and FRS. Apparently they've been in a very tight points battle that is very meaningful to the both of them and they have a history with each other that came to ahead at scales when they came together during the race.

This could have easily been nipped in the bud early in the season, however, when the sanctioning body takes a completely hands off approach to penalizing poor driving and avoidable contact - this behavior, this outcome, is inevitable.
Just curious - do you know which of the two was driving poorly in that instance - the CRX or the FR-S driver, or both of them?

Also, did SCCA actually hand out penalties to the other red FR-S driver or the RX-8 driver? Even an organization that lax should recognize that there was clearly some dangerous driving there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:48 PM   #125
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,248 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I wouldn't want to be on the track at all with the driver of the red 86. That was hard core Bush league stuff right there. Hell, depending on the reaction of SCCA I wouldn't want to participate in any of their events. I'm a pretty patient, tolerant guy, but when it comes to unsafe, malicious driving I have no tolerance.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:01 PM   #126
rice_classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S View Post
Just curious - do you know which of the two was driving poorly in that instance - the CRX or the FR-S driver, or both of them?

Also, did SCCA actually hand out penalties to the other red FR-S driver or the RX-8 driver? Even an organization that lax should recognize that there was clearly some dangerous driving there.
CRX and STU FRS drivers were not from the PacNW so I don't know them. I didn't see video and only overheard half the story so I really can't say who did what on track.

The black RX8 and the Red FRS received reprimands. Nothing beyond that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I wouldn't want to be on the track at all with the driver of the red 86. That was hard core Bush league stuff right there. Hell, depending on the reaction of SCCA I wouldn't want to participate in any of their events. I'm a pretty patient, tolerant guy, but when it comes to unsafe, malicious driving I have no tolerance.
I generally agree but those drivers have a history and from what it sounds like, it's a history of the FRS being on the receiving end of fixing body work and lack of penalties ever being issued. This was likely building for some time.

Nonetheless - it would NEVER have happened if the SCCA would actually penalize drivers for avoidable contact and No, reprimands are NOT penalties.