follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2020, 02:09 AM   #29
ScratchMB
Banned

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
Why the hostility? I've seen one person trolling so far but the rest have been pretty helpful from what I can see. I understand the frustration but screaming at everyone who is trying to help is the best way to dissuade other people from helping you.

Paging @Tcoat.
It’s frustrating, I specifically said a specific part of it, a couple people replied with helpful stuff then everyone started talking about the dust boot cover which I mentioned wasn’t the part I was looking for.
The more people comment the less likely someone who actually knows how to fix it will actually mention how to fix it, because he’s gonna think, oh with 50 comments someone definitely solved the problem.
I searched everywhere for answers to this fix and they’ve all been deadends cause everyone just veers completely off topic talking about stuff unrelated.
I believe it could be the floor shifter control shaft, collar bushing where the rod connects to the transmission.

So far I’ve replaced the shifter springs, and the rear shifter bushing.
The shifter itself isn’t part of the problem since the play comes from the floor shifter control shaft, which could make sense if the bushings are shot cause that would give it wiggle room, the shifter moves in only side to side, forward and backward, but that shaft moves in all directions, the shifter show less play because it doesn’t go up and down.
Even the slightest amount of wiggle room, like I’m talking 1/4cm would still probably show 1/2inch of play due to the length of the rods and wish the way shapes and math and shit work, long bar make big difference on pivot point.
The shaft being held on one end is the pivot point, and long shafty boi moves more the longer the rod.
ScratchMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:14 AM   #30
ScratchMB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
Enough play at its resting position I'm usually just banging gears, which at 130,000 miles any way that I can get into the next gear change efficiently is good enough until I probably get a new transmission. I can "aim" it to slide it into gear nicely but thats rare. There's enough play that I can almost miss entirely.

If a $20 rubber boot bushing and some alignment tweaks is all it takes then that would be awesome. Still can't get my console apart by myself lol.
I hope it’s an easy fix, I am completely blown away that all the millions of people who have these cars and no has a solution.
My shift lockout plate is basically welded to my damn center console cause I tightened the screws too much when I changed my shifter, they didn’t have a set torque value so I’ll probably just cut them whenever I need to.
It’s extremely easy to disassemble your interior for the shifter.
The best way to yank off those panels that are on the sides of the center in the foot wells is to grab them from the back where the kind of move a bit.
Old 06-17-2020, 02:47 AM   #31
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Not millions but hundreds of thousands, from which 95% never touch mechanically by themselves above tire pressure check at gas tank. Also i'm guessing that those that actually do or shops that do some work there, usually do so by procedures in service manuals, while DIYer might have skipped something simple but nevertheless causing described issue. And from those that do that job themselves or from actual service or dealership techs .. probably only relatively small fraction is on this forum and visit here regularly and often and read all threads including this. I can understand your frustration, but blaming world/other owners and so on won't get you moving . Don't rely on forums always providing solution and in timely fashion at that, keep googling around, search for service manuals/procedures for hints in parallel, ask techs you know in person and so on. Wish you luck with all that to get issue solved sooner, don't give up easily but also don't expect that forum will help always, quickly by your expectations, and without some portion of friendly trolling you should take with smile, not anger
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-18-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 07:46 AM   #32
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Keep digging we'll figure it out! The shifter play looks exactly like mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchMB View Post
grab them from the back where the kind of move a bit.
The issue I have is popping the the change tray out from behind. I reached through and tried maybe 20 times, eventually missed and sliced my finger pretty deep and gave up.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:50 AM   #33
radroach

@KR-S 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
SHE FEELS LIKE A LAM BOR GEE KNEE WHEN I OPEN THE OL GIRL UP N GET THE CARBON OFF ER VALVES IF YA KNOW WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT

HEY GEORGE,
YEAH, I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKIN' ABOUT. (WINK) I CLEAN THE CARBON OFF MY VALVES DAILY. THE WIFE, NOT SO MUCH HAHA.
HOW IS THE OL' GIRL DOIN? HAVENT SEEN YOU SINCE THE RICHMOND REUNION.

-DAVE

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Life is a highway, I'm gonna drive it all night long."
Old 06-17-2020, 08:00 AM   #34
radroach

@Turdinator the play in gear or neutral was not there before I had the transmission dropped for a new clutch. I was also told it was normal by my installer.

No it is not acceptable. I've seen even old-ass AE86's with tighter action (though it was worked on)
Old 06-17-2020, 09:04 AM   #35
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,305 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchMB View Post

There’s my sloppy ass shifter, I seriously can’t stand how bad it is, it’s insane
Watch your own video...problem is the Reverse Lockout Plate is way out of adjustment. It's way to far the the left. Put the car in 1st gear, then loosen the 4 reverse lockout plate bolts. Slide the plate to the right until it is barely touching the reverse lockout plate, then tighten the bolts.
Attached Images

soundman98 (06-18-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 09:37 AM   #36
ScratchMB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
Watch your own video...problem is the Reverse Lockout Plate is way out of adjustment. It's way to far the the left. Put the car in 1st gear, then loosen the 4 reverse lockout plate bolts. Slide the plate to the right until it is barely touching the reverse lockout plate, then tighten the bolts.
Bro, it’s not the reverse lockout, it’s not the shifter and it’s not the ball part on, it’s the part I have circled in blue on my earlier post.
Reading is hard.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:39 AM   #37
ScratchMB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Not millions but hundreds of thousands, from which 95% never touch mechanically by themselves above tire pressure check at gas tank. Also i'm guessing that those that actually do or shops that do some work there, usually do so by procedures in service manuals, while DIYer might have skipped something simple but nevertheless causing described issue. And from those that do that job themselves or from actual service or dealership techs .. probably only relatively small fraction is on this forum and visit here regularly and often and read all threads including this. I can understand your frustration, but blaming world/other owners and so on won't get you moving . Don't rely on forums always providing solution and in timely fashion at that, keep googling around, search for service manuals/procedures for hints in parallel, ask techs you know in person and so on. Wish you luck with all that to get issue solved sooner, don't give up easily but also don't expect that forum will help always, quickly by your expectations, and without some portion of friendly trolling you should take with smile, not anger
The purpose of that comment was to waste my time, I don’t care about positivity and all that shit, yes you are right about the thousands and whatnot of people not working on their cars.
Also people shouldn’t be on forums commenting if they don’t know shit, why hop on here and give input if you have no clue what’s going on.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:41 AM   #38
ScratchMB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
@Turdinator the play in gear or neutral was not there before I had the transmission dropped for a new clutch. I was also told it was normal by my installer.

No it is not acceptable. I've seen even old-ass AE86's with tighter action (though it was worked on)
Yea the play is infuriating, mine wobbles the worst in 5-6th gear for some reason, like I can have it in one of those gears and with all the play in it I can move it to the 3-4th gear positions, it’s insane.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #39
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
radroach's video is not normal. Pretty sure that is what the OP is talking about. Look how much play he has when in gear.
Well I guess my shifter is not normal too. Because it has at least as much play as in either video.
The car does have 174,000 miles on it but the play doesn't bother me at all.
My other car is a '02 GTI. Now that car has outrageous slop in the shifter. But it still doesn't bother me. It's just the way it is.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #40
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Oh. If polite words doesn't get through to cool down swearing at others, then i'll remind of
Quote:
1) Respect. By far the most important rule here. Basic rules of real life apply here - show each other respect and you will get respect as well. Don't bash someone else here because you feel like it. Disrespectful, derogatory or insulting attitudes or remarks will not be tolerated. This applies to all corners of the site - including posts, profile visitor messages, and thread tags.
3) Disagree, don't attack. Disagree on topics, but try to leave it at that. Just because you don't like someones opinion on the car's engine, doesn't mean you should call him and his mother all sorts of names. Debates are always welcome, but don't go out of your way to insult and flame someone. Please consider if you would say to someone's face the same thing you are posting.
At least this is from rules by owners of this forum, so even if you have your own view of to what forum members should do or not do at forums in general, it would be nice to stop pissing off most, if nothing else, then at least by egoistical reasoning of such acting possibly pissing off someone that can actually help too, even if you don't care about "all that shit".
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-18-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #41
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Well I guess my shifter is not normal too. Because it has at least as much play as in either video.
The car does have 174,000 miles on it but the play doesn't bother me at all.
My other car is a '02 GTI. Now that car has outrageous slop in the shifter. But it still doesn't bother me. It's just the way it is.
That is more play then my 200K mile Nissan Xtera with a 2 foot long shifter
Old 06-17-2020, 11:36 AM   #42
ScratchMB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
That is more play then my 200K mile Nissan Xtera with a 2 foot long shifter
Lol facts my man, it’s insane xD