follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
FRSNewb

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Headlight Failure

So this morning when I went to turn on my boomerang lights in my Spec-D headlights, in addition to my switchbacks I have installed as well, I heard a 'tick' in the steering column area and now they won't turn on at all when I turn the headlight control arm on (to the first spot). My HID headlights turn on though when I turn the knob (to the second spot) as normal.

Ever since I installed them a year ago I've had zero issues until this morning, and I use them very frequently as DRLs as it's either I run them or my super bright HID lights during the evening/morning hours. I checked a couple of the fuses on my break at work and the ones I checked seemed fine. My dashboard lights also function normally. The switchbacks I know have power to them because they function normally as turn signals, they just aren't receiving the signal to turn on as DRLs basically.

Was wondering if anyone had some thoughts what it might be? Seems like something minor

Last edited by FRSNewb; 06-03-2015 at 02:06 PM.
FRSNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
FRSNewb

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
I've posted this a bunch but I had the same thing happen.

You can't use Techstream yourself to re-enable the DRL (I tried). You have to go through the dealer. My friend works at one and he brought out the techstream laptop for me.

Basically theres a setting for the headlights that is either "Halogen" or "HID" (don't think its called HID but its something like that). After replacing the BIU this must get reset to "Halogen" - We have the HID headlights. All they have to do is switch that option back over and your DRL will function normally (take it off the Halogen setting).

Found the above from another thread, curious if this might be the issue? Im getting my taillights replaced tomm at the dealers so I could ask them to try this.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #3
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
My DRL went out when the BIU in my car was faulty. When they replaced the BIU, they didn't change the settings for my car and left it basically in the FRS headlight setting, which wouldn't activate my DRLs. Sounds to me like yours just went out kind of like mine did. I'd ask them to run diagnostics on it, because in order for that setting to be switched in techstream you literally have to go in and change it. I'm guessing something shorted out or you blew a fuse, did you check the fuse panel in the car for any fuses out?

Usually a click or pop is a fuse blowing out, but I heard that same type of noise and thats when my BIU took a crap on me lol. Start with checking the fuses first.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #4
FRSNewb

Garage
Quote:
My DRL went out when the BIU in my car was faulty. When they replaced the BIU, they didn't change the settings for my car and left it basically in the FRS headlight setting, which wouldn't activate my DRLs. Sounds to me like yours just went out kind of like mine did. I'd ask them to run diagnostics on it, because in order for that setting to be switched in techstream you literally have to go in and change it. I'm guessing something shorted out or you blew a fuse, did you check the fuse panel in the car for any fuses out?

Usually a click or pop is a fuse blowing out, but I heard that same type of noise and thats when my BIU took a crap on me lol. Start with checking the fuses first.

I'll check all the fuses when I get home from work (only managed to check a few on my break after trying to find a pair of plyers) and I'll update from there..
Old 06-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #5
FRSNewb

Garage
Quote:

checked the fuses and none of them are blown; thinking it could be the BIU.

Wondering if the dealership will replace it under warranty for me...
Old 06-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #6
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
they may...but they have to diagnose it and see if its that first. But I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't because you have a different setup from stock. I just realized you have an FRS and i'm not entirely sure of the stock configuration on your model (I have a brz with stock DRL's)
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #7
FRSNewb

Garage
so I went to the dealership to have my taillights changed (due to condensation - warranty repair due to recall) and turns out my taillight fuse was blown also thus rendering my running lights inactive. Once it was replaced, the lights work again. Feel pretty good knowing it was as simple fuse, one I never even thought to check that caused the problem; saved me from a pretty pricey repair!
Old 06-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSNewb View Post
so I went to the dealership to have my taillights changed (due to condensation - warranty repair due to recall) and turns out my taillight fuse was blown also thus rendering my running lights inactive. Once it was replaced, the lights work again. Feel pretty good knowing it was as simple fuse, one I never even thought to check that caused the problem; saved me from a pretty pricey repair!
What caused the fuse to go?
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:53 PM   #9
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Likely water causing a short in the tails...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:39 PM   #10
FRSNewb

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
What caused the fuse to go?
not sure exactly; first time I've ever blown a fuse in this car, but could have been a short due to the condensation issue