follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2013, 02:10 AM   #1
YDNA

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
KWV3 owners, did anyone remove the helper springs?

Was thinking about removing the helper springs just to sit a little bit lower so the wheel gap isnt as big. Has anyone done this yet?
YDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:29 PM   #2
iFunner

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I installed mine today and my mechanic decided not to use them because they would not fit unless preloaded the spring. Any other owners with KWs done this?
iFunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:41 PM   #3
Lincoln Logs

Drives: #337 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YDNA View Post
Was thinking about removing the helper springs just to sit a little bit lower so the wheel gap isnt as big. Has anyone done this yet?
Running the shocks that low will put them outside of the ideal ride height. Not recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFunner View Post
I installed mine today and my mechanic decided not to use them because they would not fit unless preloaded the spring. Any other owners with KWs done this?
What ride height were you trying to set the car to? "Preloading" the spring might be necessary to get that ride height but there is nothing wrong with that. These shocks are adjusted by moving the spring collar so that sounds normal.
Lincoln Logs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lincoln Logs For This Useful Post:
Tokay444 (04-19-2018), wparsons (04-03-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 11:01 PM   #4
iFunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Logs View Post
Running the shocks that low will put them outside of the ideal ride height. Not recommended.

What ride height were you trying to set the car to? "Preloading" the spring might be necessary to get that ride height but there is nothing wrong with that. These shocks are adjusted by moving the spring collar so that sounds normal.
I was just trying to set it to the recommended settings but even then it's a low drop about 1.4 inches around 1 finger gap. The helper springs fit in the back but not in the front. could it be my camber plate? Might have to go to another shop to check the measurements...
Old 04-03-2018, 12:11 AM   #5
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
One doesn't measure recommended drop / best working range for suspension by measuring wheel gap :P.
For our already relatively low cars with relatively low suspension travel reasonable drop to not fsck up suspension geometry too much is within 1". KW may have some specific recommended settings. Have you consulted specs? Installation manual?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Tokay444 (04-19-2018), wparsons (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 01:00 AM   #6
TOPEC

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I was just trying to set it to the recommended settings but even then it's a low drop about 1.4 inches around 1 finger gap. The helper springs fit in the back but not in the front. could it be my camber plate? Might have to go to another shop to check the measurements...
camber plates will add to the stack height depending on the design. the KWV3 are meant for OEM style top hats/camber plates where the top of the strut mounts past the strut tower where as some other camber plates have the strut mount flush with the strut tower adding height. which camber plates r u running?
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:15 AM   #7
Roadcone
StreetKart

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
you should sell your V3's and buy a set of racelands.
Hyper4mance2k (04-06-2018), Tokay444 (04-19-2018), wparsons (04-03-2018), x808drifter (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #8
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
It shouldn't be too difficult to get a decent drop out of the V3s and still remain within recommended specs. Unless I did something horribly wrong (it was my first time working with coilovers), I actually had to set them to the MAXIMUM height of the recommended range to prevent the car from being too low for my tastes. I'm running Raceseng Camber plates up front which have a "minimal stack height."

Note the shadows make the car seem a bit lower than it actually is in this photo. There is a gap between the tires and the top of the fender. As there should be!

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
iFunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
camber plates will add to the stack height depending on the design. the KWV3 are meant for OEM style top hats/camber plates where the top of the strut mounts past the strut tower where as some other camber plates have the strut mount flush with the strut tower adding height. which camber plates r u running?

I’m still new to coilovers altogether but currently the ride is fine but might be a bit soft in front. Should I be worried about not having the helper springs in the front? It will just unsettle if I lift the car up right?

I’m running camber plates from feal coilovers so it looks like this:
Old 04-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #10
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
If you remove them to get the car lower, be sure to measure the amount of bump travel left at your desired ride height. It might be very little...

The only thing the helpers do is keep the springs seated at droop. This is because the shock has more travel than the main spring. They're not completely necessary, but a good idea, otherwise the spring has the opportunity to rattle around or get wedged in at an angle after it comes unseated.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jamal For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (04-06-2018), Tokay444 (04-19-2018), Tristor (04-19-2018), wparsons (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
The only reason to remove the helper springs to go lower is if you're already bottomed out on the spring perches.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 01:18 PM   #12
iFunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
If you remove them to get the car lower, be sure to measure the amount of bump travel left at your desired ride height. It might be very little...

The only thing the helpers do is keep the springs seated at droop. This is because the shock has more travel than the main spring. They're not completely necessary, but a good idea, otherwise the spring has the opportunity to rattle around or get wedged in at an angle after it comes unseated.

Thanks guys I’ll have a shop double check the install. It wasn’t installed since there was basically no room for the helper spring and we were already at the maximum (highest) height of the recommended settings. We also didn’t want to add preload to the main spring. Would I have to preload the main spring in order to get some room to install the helpers?
Old 04-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #13
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YDNA View Post
The helper spring is pretty thin when fully compressed, you're not going to get that much more drop. They're there to keep the spring properly seated at full droop. Without them you could have the spring become unseated over a big bump and not settle right after.

Short answer, don't do it unless there's enough tension on the main spring at full droop to keep it from becoming unseated.

Quote:
Thanks guys I’ll have a shop double check the install. It wasn’t installed since there was basically no room for the helper spring and we were already at the maximum (highest) height of the recommended settings. We also didn’t want to add preload to the main spring. Would I have to preload the main spring in order to get some room to install the helpers?
There will absolutely be pre-load on the helper at full droop, that's the point. I don't have my new upper mounts yet, but looking at mine without upper mounts it looks like at the lowest recommended setting there would still be a bit of pre-load on the helper, at the highest recommended setting there would be some pre-load on the main spring.

Don't second guess the instructions, KW knows what they're doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Tristor (04-19-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #14
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Uh, I don't get what is going on here. You have the height turned all the way up? why are you not lowering the perches then to make the car lower?

Maybe you need someone more familiar with adjustable coilovers doing this.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jamal For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (04-06-2018), Racecomp Engineering (04-03-2018), Tristor (04-19-2018), wparsons (04-18-2018)