follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 08-02-2017, 11:54 PM   #15
Lust

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
I would have the dealer fix that shifter spring sooner than later.

Now back to opticoating.
Yup I've already made record of it with the dealer. I'm driving it over as soon as my car is ready for pickup. Also planning to get a clear bra done for the front bumper and possibly the hood + fenders. Need to find a way to preserve the carbon fiber because I have to park my car in the street. Probably going to opticoat the rest
Lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:02 AM   #16
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,239 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Please tell me you are painting the CF.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:25 AM   #17
Lust

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Please tell me you are painting the CF.
It seems like I may have to.
Lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:47 PM   #18
BaatLuk

Drives: Evo X
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you had to choose between a clear bra and Opticoat, would you choose a clear bra over Opticoat? It seems a clear bra would provide stronger protection against rock chips and scratches and should last longer than 5 years? I plan to regularly wash, clay, and wax my car. Dropping $1.5-2k on both clear bra and Opticoat on a $26k car just doesn't seem rationale.
BaatLuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:45 AM   #19
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaatLuk View Post
If you had to choose between a clear bra and Opticoat, would you choose a clear bra over Opticoat? It seems a clear bra would provide stronger protection against rock chips and scratches and should last longer than 5 years? I plan to regularly wash, clay, and wax my car. Dropping $1.5-2k on both clear bra and Opticoat on a $26k car just doesn't seem rationale.
I couldn't justify the cost of Xpel so I went with just Opticoat Pro. As I stated earlier I only paid $400.00 for Opticoat Pro. My car sits 24/7 in the hot sun so the UV protection was more important to me. Easier to maintain car with Opticoat Pro. Claying & waxing wouldn't be needed as much if it's ceramic coated. In between washes you can use Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer. It can be applied on your car while it's still wet or after drying off your car. Applying after rinsing will aid in the drying process.

Rock chips and scratches IMHO comes with the territory of owning a sports car or any other car. If you got tons of $$$$ to burn & do a lot of highway and freeway long distance driving then get Xpel and Opticoat Pro. Just my 2 Cents!

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:55 AM   #20
BaatLuk

I was quoted $1700 for Xpel or Suntek from one of the reputable shops here in OC. Anyone know where I can find a reputable shop that would do it for around $800 in SoCal? I can't justify paying 6.5% of the value of the car for a clear bra. That'd be like paying $60 for a screen protector on an iPhone.

BTW, anyone here without a clear bra? How are your bumper and hood looking? Honestly all my previous cars never had a clear bra and they look OK (just a few minor rock chips) after years of driving in the Midwest.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:19 AM   #21
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
BTW, anyone here without a clear bra? How are your bumper and hood looking? Honestly all my previous cars never had a clear bra and they look OK (just a few minor rock chips) after years of driving in the Midwest.
I don't have a clear bra. I don't drive much on the freeway. So far no rock chips on my hood yet....

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86geek For This Useful Post:
BaatLuk (09-27-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #22
BaatLuk

I plan on taking the car for some road trips but I never tail gate people and usually keep very long distance between my car and the one in front of me. I'll do the painter's tape too if I don't end up getting a clear bra.

Any other prices paid?
Old 10-08-2017, 03:34 AM   #23
phenoyz

Drives: 2011 Honda Fit Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Auto Salon Works in Belmont. Guys name is Andrew and he works out of his house. Great guy. He has a 5 star rating on Yelp. He has done lots of peoples car on this forum. Here you can see what he did for me. Package was $850.

http://autosalonworks.blogspot.com/2017/04/swift-thursday-subject-curts-16-scion.html
Hello
How do you contact him?

Thanks
phenoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #24
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
If I had one, my cars paint would be flawless right now. Damage is only on front bumper. I kind of wish I did it when I got the car.
It's past the point to fix it so I'll probably just wait a few years and repaint then put the bra on next time around.
It's not terrible since you can't see any damage unless your eyes are a few feet away from the paint but if you are picky about paint as I am, I'd get the clear bra.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote