follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-14-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
Lakitu

Drives: 2017 Halo 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Smell on hands after driving?

Is it normal to have some strange burnt smell on your hands after driving a manual car? The smell on my hands is most prominent when the AC has been running and lingers on my hands for hours after driving. I've been driving a new 2017 manual 86 for about 9 months and its been a consistent thing, no matter how hard or gently I drive the car. I drive for 80 miles total or roughly 3 hours each day on commute. Car has about 15k miles.

I've also noticed ever since I've owned the car a brief and faint smell of some kind of heated/hot/lightly-burning of material I can't describe that comes through the AC vents whenever I let the car engine break, or if I let off the throttle while going at speed, or randomly while upshifting between 3-4-5th, depending on how messy the shift was and engine rpms. I believe this is the smell that is absorbed into my hands. The smell is annoying because even if I wash my hands it's still there. Could this be clutch related?

Also, and unrelated, about a month ago I've noticed a cricket sound coming from the engine after maybe 20 minutes of driving. It doesn't seem like a belt squeal or squeak, but more like a high pitch cricket that match the speed of each piston. Under the hood, I place my ear over the engine area, the sound is loudest on the right side of the car and directly over the right side intake manifold. The cricket sound goes away at higher rpms, and most noticeable at idle. Is there something wrong?

Last edited by Lakitu; 09-14-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Lakitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:14 PM   #2
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakitu View Post
Is it normal to have some strange burnt smell on your hands after driving a manual car? The smell on my hands is most prominent when the AC has been running and lingers on my hands for hours after driving. I've been driving a new 2017 manual 86 for about 9 months and its been a consistent thing, no matter how hard or gently I drive the car. I drive for 80 miles total or roughly 3 hours each day on commute.

Also, about a month ago I've noticed a cricket sound coming from the engine. Not like a belt squeak, but high pitch crickets that match the speed of the engine rotations. Is there something wrong?
Hey so first the cricket sound it completely normal and nothing to worry about. It's from the high pressure fuel pump. Try looking up "crickets ft86club" on google and you will get plenty of info on that. This forum already has too many threads on the subject but in the end it's nothing mechanically wrong and just a characteristic of these cars.

As for the smell no that's not normal, what I suspect is going on is your HVAC system is on "air from outside" and your getting air from fumes on the highway/what your driving near and that is being sucked into your AC and then applied to your hands. I suggest you first check your cabin filter in the glove box make sure that looks okay or get a new better one than what comes with the car (I'm a fan of that FRAM one with the baking soda). Next if that filter looks ok then try doing your commute with air on "cabin air recirculate" and see if you still get that smell. Also wash your hands.

Last edited by DandoX; 09-14-2017 at 01:44 PM.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
hmmmm........

First off, maybe the "cricket sound" is the HPFP just doing it's thing, that you hear from time to time.

As far as the smell, no, your hands shouldn't smell funny after driving a MT car.

Maybe the smell is mildew in the A/C ductwork ......?? If it is, you might reduce the smell by shutting off the A/C (but keep the fan running) a few minutes before you shut down the car.

If you wash your hands and the smell is still there ....... unless you have been messing with catfish bait ....... I reckon you need to use a stronger soap .....

A burning clutch smell is very distinctive ........ it smells like ...... well ...... burning clutch.

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Cole (09-15-2017), wrh3 (09-16-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Is it normal to have some strange burnt smell on your hands after driving a manual car?
Not usually. This car has a lot of odd quirks, but this is one I've never heard before.

Quote:
I've also noticed ever since I've owned the car a brief and faint smell of some kind of heated/hot/lightly-burning of material I can't describe that comes through the AC vents whenever I let the car engine break, or if I let off the throttle while going at speed, or randomly while upshifting between 3-4-5th, depending on how messy the shift was and engine rpms.
That IS normal. It will likely continue for several thousand miles, but eventually it either fades or you get used to it.

Quote:
Also, and unrelated, about a month ago I've noticed a cricket sound coming from the engine after maybe 20 minutes of driving.
Also 100% normal. It's coming from the high pressure fuel pump, and it will vary with temperature and what gas you use. It doesn't signify any problem with the pump other than making an irritating noise. There have been revised fuel pumps in the past to try to correct it, but they didn't fix it. People have tried running ethanol-free gas, gasoline additives and even ashless two-stroke oil added to the gas tanks without any of them providing a consistent fix.

You can sometimes get it to go away by using a particular brand of gas, but you'll have to find the one that your car likes. I generally find mine doesn't chirp (or does it with less volume or frequency) if I use Shell or Chevron gas. Sam's Club gas is a virtual guarantee of very loud crickets in my car. I'm convinced it has to do with the additive packages the different brands put in their gasoline.

However, keep in mind that even if you find a gas station that provides gas that doesn't chirp in your car, the stations change blends throughout the year with the changes in season, so what works now may not work a few months down the road. Mine generally likes summer gas but chirps on winter gas when they cut it with butane.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
8RZ (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #5
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
I've heard several people complain about the new material used on the MY17 steering wheels. Not specifically about smell, but I could see that softer material soaking up odors more easily.

People have complained about the new steering wheel tearing/ripping apart IIRC.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:46 PM   #6
Lakitu

Garage
I am so happy to hear there's nothing wrong with my brand new car. Thanks a ton guys!
@extrashaky - regarding the smell, I'm 100% certain this is related to the burning smell on my hands. What exactly is the cause of this smell, if you know? I feel like it is just some manufactured layer of clutch plate material or something that is burning off. Or is it something else? Do other manual cars have this feature?

Thanks again!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
My 17 still smells like a hot slot car after it warms up. As has been said, the cricket is normal but you are the first (I think) to notice a 17 doing that. I get a hint every now and then, but nothing compared to my 13.

Yes, the stock steering wheel material sucks. I don't know who thought a slick material was a good idea.

I'll sniff around mine in a bit and let you know.

Added: I read somewhere that the refrigerant used these days can cause a smell.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #8
Lakitu

Garage
I don't think it could be mildew in the AC ducts, I thought the same a few months ago so I swapped out the cabin air filter with a brand new one, and then sprayed lysol into the vents with the AC off and just the fan running, which is supposed to kill any fungus but that did not resolve the smell issue. And I think in that case it would be a more consistent smell, but the one I have is only when doing certain things, like letting off the throttle and engine braking, or a few seconds after changing a shift. If I'm sitting idle, I never smell anything weird.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:15 PM   #9
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
What exactly is the cause of this smell, if you know?
I suspect it's just the clutch breaking in. Most manual cars have a clutch smell after a clutch replacement. This one seemed to last longer than I would have expected, but all my previous manual cars were bought used and were well broken in before they got to me.

There are a lot of odd things that are actually "normal" for these cars. A few things may have changed with the new model year, but read this thread (especially post 13):

Things you should know after buying a BRZ?
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:38 PM   #10
paulca

Drives: Toyota GT86 Coupe Red (UK)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Exhaust sealant burning?

Green goo burning? (You guys get the green goo don't you?)

Both perfectly normal. My 2017 smoked in traffic on the way home from the dealership.

Exhaust sealant needs to bake in, it's left uncured from factory. It has a harsh arid smell that "smells like it would sting your eyes".

The green goo smells sickly sweet and chemically when it boils on whatever part of the engine bay gets hot enough.

I'm not sure why you would smell these from your hands and not from the car though. Does the steering wheel or gear stick smell of anything if you sniff them close up?
Old 09-14-2017, 02:00 PM   #11
Myriad

Drives: 2017 86, 2012 Tundra, 1999 Integra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I also drive a 2017 86 manual and have noticed none of these things. No bad smells, or crickets, or scratches, scuffs, rattles or creaks--coming from an 18 year old car to something so clean and new without any flaws is absolutely astounding. It never ceases to amaze me!

Myriad
Myriad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Myriad For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 04:59 PM   #12
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
No smell, OP, but I did pass people like a mofo.

Time for a trip to the dealer just in case some some funk is in your HVAC system.

Last edited by PetrolioBenzina; 09-14-2017 at 05:09 PM.
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:29 PM   #13
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
There are so many jokes I could make about smelly hands after touching the stick...
Cal3000 (09-15-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 07:01 PM   #14
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There are so many jokes I could make about smelly hands after touching the stick...
........ "the" stick ........ that implies your stick .......

wanna tell us about where your stick was, that made it smell soo bad ......??

humfrz
humfrz is online now   Reply With Quote