follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 05:03 PM   #15
Cop

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I am most interested in learning how to improve as a driver, what products / configurations work from an objective standpoint, and checking out other people's builds.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cop For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (12-02-2015), MisterSheep (12-03-2015), Racecomp Engineering (12-03-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #16
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop View Post
I am most interested in learning how to improve as a driver, what products / configurations work from an objective standpoint, and checking out other people's builds.
Too bad Vivid doesn't sell a driver mod hahahaha

That is a interesting point you make I like it! Becoming a better driver will shave more time at the track then most parts will. Plus a alot of people dont realise how capable our cars really are and that its the driver holding them back.
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
vividracing (12-03-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 08:36 PM   #17
CARBONGT86

Drives: 13 carbon accents Blk
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
P[U][/Quality can be achieved at a fair price let's face it .Car parts whether it be the twins or any make for that matter are basically the same components and have been produced the same way with the same materials used for quite some time. I have had the luxury of being around a shop that builds the 427 Shelby Cobra from the ground up fabrication and all and now they are building the 1965 Daytona Shelby top speed 220mph And there is quality there and most importantly safety incorporated .Also was made aware of the production costs of parts for Hondas Since I have a friend who was an engineer for Honda up in Allison Ontario.Once Again I get it its business profit needs to be made but at what margins /mark up .Example I bought a Tomei El Header a year ago $650 Canadian and Seibon Carbon Fiber trunk $450 cNd .Now $899 and $1000 These parts have been out for time so the R&D cost should be paid for and Yes I know the CND dollar is lower But Seriously .Oh well it's like gas prices in Ontario $ 1.04 a litre when Oil is under $39.00 a barrel we just accept it and become accustomed to it and vent singularly but never unitively that's us Canadians.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #18
ottoyu34

Drives: Mazda3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post

That is a interesting point you make I like it! Becoming a better driver will shave more time at the track then most parts will. Plus a alot of people dont realise how capable our cars really are and that its the driver holding them back.
Another good point. Fortunately, I did realise that I want to gain the skills to pilot a fast car at its limit comfortably. I decided HPDE and Autox is where it would benefit me.

I was able to catch much more capable cars with my Mazda3 on the track & scoring some good times against miatas at Autox. But there's a certain extent and limitation. So I decided to keep my Mazda as a daily commuter and the adventures will carry on with my new FRS.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:30 PM   #19
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

I am also intrested in why I can order some JDM parts from japan and it cost me $640 CAD and from a US vender it is just over $1000CAD ?? Where does all that markup come from hahaha!

Edit: I should also say the US vender I checked out was NOT Vivid racing. so don't think I am trying to bash you guys hahaha!!
Old 12-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #20
GeorgeJFrick

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited LR
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Having the part VS Utilizing the part.
The vendors can't sell us seat time.
So most people want cheap over quality.

It's far easier to be social over cheap parts than to buy nice parts that don't get used. What we really want is available, legal, seat time. It's incredibly hard to find.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:25 PM   #21
kbye

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I am also intrested in why I can order some JDM parts from japan and it cost me $640 CAD and from a US vender it is just over $1000CAD ?? Where does all that markup come from hahaha!

Edit: I should also say the US vender I checked out was NOT Vivid racing. so don't think I am trying to bash you guys hahaha!!
The answer is not straight forward and does not apply to every vendor out there but there are a lot of reasons why.

1. Foreign exchange: the US dollar has been quite strong this year. The CAD/JPY rate has not fluctuated nearly as much as the CAD/USD or JPY/USD.

Very basic example:
Consider 2014, when 1USD = 1CAD = 95 JPY.
A 95,000JPY exhaust costs $1000 USD and $1000 CAD.
Now in 2015, the rates are 1 USD = 0.75CAD = 123 JPY.
That same 95,000JPY exhaust now costs $772 USD and $1030 CAD.

2. Slow market reaction to foreign exchange. FX is so volatile, shops are hesitant to change prices so quickly. If you are constantly adjusting your prices up/down you will lose money. You want to sell for higher than the price you imported it.

3. Vendor contracts. For official suppliers usually there are suggested msrps and prices to adhere to.

4. Customs and shipping costs. The price usually includes the cost of importing it into the US. Buying from Canada, you are paying for customs/shipping twice, effectively.

5. Warranty and support. Official suppliers will have this, if you import parts yourself you are on your own. This is fine for a TRD oil cap but some people are not as comfortable with a supercharger kit or suspension, for example.
The Following User Says Thank You to kbye For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 01:35 PM   #22
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbye View Post
The answer is not straight forward and does not apply to every vendor out there but there are a lot of reasons why.

1. Foreign exchange: the US dollar has been quite strong this year. The CAD/JPY rate has not fluctuated nearly as much as the CAD/USD or JPY/USD.

Very basic example:
Consider 2014, when 1USD = 1CAD = 95 JPY.
A 95,000JPY exhaust costs $1000 USD and $1000 CAD.
Now in 2015, the rates are 1 USD = 0.75CAD = 123 JPY.
That same 95,000JPY exhaust now costs $772 USD and $1030 CAD.

2. Slow market reaction to foreign exchange. FX is so volatile, shops are hesitant to change prices so quickly. If you are constantly adjusting your prices up/down you will lose money. You want to sell for higher than the price you imported it.

3. Vendor contracts. For official suppliers usually there are suggested msrps and prices to adhere to.

4. Customs and shipping costs. The price usually includes the cost of importing it into the US. Buying from Canada, you are paying for customs/shipping twice, effectively.

5. Warranty and support. Official suppliers will have this, if you import parts yourself you are on your own. This is fine for a TRD oil cap but some people are not as comfortable with a supercharger kit or suspension, for example.
Thanks! Those are all very good points. I never thought about paying duty twice!

Yeah I knew about the warranty issue and that is one reason I do like to get things from vendors I know and trust. The parts I ordered today are just bling anyways haha.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #23
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

But I do; coaching drivers is what I do full time now. PM me if you're interested; I fly all over the country for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #24
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
I am always most interested in suspension and what different setups at setting will yeild which results.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:37 PM   #25
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
But I do; coaching drivers is what I do full time now. PM me if you're interested; I fly all over the country for it.
Oh man good to know!! Maybe oneday but for now I am just an enthusist.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #26
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJFrick View Post
Having the part VS Utilizing the part.
The vendors can't sell us seat time.
So most people want cheap over quality.

It's far easier to be social over cheap parts than to buy nice parts that don't get used. What we really want is available, legal, seat time. It's incredibly hard to find.
Most people have to drive 4+ hours to get to their closest track

Los Angeles is a great example. Street racing is rampant here, but all the legal venues have been shut down in lieu of things that "make more money". E.g. Irwindale Speedway was closed, permanently, after the last sold-out Formula Drift event. A strip mall will be taking its place.

The closest drag strip is 2 hours away from LA.
strat61caster (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 01:40 PM   #27
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Most people have to drive 4+ hours to get to their closest track

Los Angeles is a great example. Street racing is rampant here, but all the legal venues have been shut down in lieu of things that "make more money". E.g. Irwindale Speedway was closed, permanently, after the last sold-out Formula Drift event. A strip mall will be taking its place.

The closest drag strip is 2 hours away from LA.
Oh man I know the pain! They closed our track years ago. Now it is a 3 hour drive to a track or a one time $10,000 members fee to use a new track thats ~1.5 hours away if they ever build it
Old 12-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #28
CSG Mike

Quote:
Oh man good to know!! Maybe oneday but for now I am just an enthusist.
Enthusiasts are who I coach, not pros, usually. People who are looking to dramatically accelerate their learning curve.
go_a_way1 (12-03-2015)

Closed Thread