follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-07-2020, 05:17 PM   #29
AKITA

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Halo
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just found this post by Steve, maybe the color it's blinking can tell us something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Imobiliser kills ignition

Your model might be different to ours
Flashing lock symol on dash, when key ir fob in car and you try to start key symbol will go green if ok, red if incorrect or no code, yellow if fob battery weak or signal low

With key models transponder chip is in plastic key head

If it got just a metal key your snookered, you will need dealer to code in new complete key, or find someone who knows how to bypass imobiliser
AKITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:18 PM   #30
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02maher View Post
Hello everyone,

I am trying to start my 2013 manual Gt86 for a couple of weeks at least now.

After 3 days sitting in the car park since I last used it, I came back to find that it wouldn't start... But it did crank only once very briefly when I attempted to turn the key all the way very fast, then nothing.
At first I thought it was the battery then I checked the starter and the wiring and the fuses/relays, tried pushing it and jump starting with cables attached to 2 running cars even.... nothing, no crank.

I just realised yesterday after alot of researched that the anti theft shouldn't blink when the key is turned to the on position.

So now I'm looking at my immobiliser issue here, and by the way the key unlocks and locks the car remotely. Also the steering wheel unlocks with the key.

I left the battery unpluged for a night but still.

I had an engine light coming and going a while ago P0390 for the camshaft position sensor but that shouldn't be the issue here.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated

Thanks
Yeah
It sounds like maybe it might be an immobiliser issue.
You didn't steal the car did you?
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 06:30 PM   #31
02maher

Drives: Gt86 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKITA View Post
a lot of people keep mentioning battery.. I think it has been significantly tested. (in fact I would say careful on the 2 car jumping.. some mechanics would say that's dangerous for the electronics.. and rather should be trickled charged from a car or device then tried to be started.. but hey what you gonna do in a pinch)

Has starter been tested to even work? maybe the pinion is wedged.

and if the starter does work... I gotta start looking at the immobilizer issue like you are pointing too.. because that much charge on teh battery should turn it maybe not start, but with the jump definitely should crank good. Alternator is not really the hurdle even if it's the culprit to the battery. I'm wondering too, you said you turned the key really fast and so I have to wonder if it is something in the ignition cyclinder got wonkered and set off anti theft. Since you replaced battery, I don't think its the key fob itself but could be for some reason (a wonkered key can do this)

If the ignition cylinder is wonkered like you say, Can it switch on the radio the lights the AC like it does went I turn the key? Also my wheels unlock with the key.I checked again all the fuses are fine both in the box and the ones next to the clutch.

there is no communication to the immobiliser as long as the anti-theft is still flashing right?

I couldn't go out really the whole month of April due to the lockdown so I set it as a challenge to fix my issue myself, I guess I will take it to a mechanic next wotking day
02maher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:10 PM   #32
02maher

Alright so the mechanic said the problem is the key �� , it turned out that somehow my key is missing the transponder chip. I didn’t know anything about that and I surely don’t know how it’s not there anymore. I realised that my key cover isn’t the original so the previous owner might have placed the chip in another location in the car which I didn’t find.
So the solution apparently is to find the immobilser itself (not the immobiliser amplifier) and to reprogram it. It should be behind the dashboard in the middle like this picture shows that I found the another post but he didn’t find it so far... any ideas where and how to find this immobiliser?

Old 05-12-2020, 08:57 PM   #33
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Alright so the mechanic said the problem is the key �� , it turned out that somehow my key is missing the transponder chip. I didn’t know anything about that and I surely don’t know how it’s not there anymore. I realised that my key cover isn’t the original so the previous owner might have placed the chip in another location in the car which I didn’t find.
So the solution apparently is to find the immobilser itself (not the immobiliser amplifier) and to reprogram it. It should be behind the dashboard in the middle like this picture shows that I found the another post but he didn’t find it so far... any ideas where and how to find this immobiliser?

Take it to a dealer. There is nothing you can do to reprogram it.
And there is no way they took the chip out and hid it anyplace and put a different cover on it. Give us a pic of the inside of the key.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #34
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Garage
Considering everything else that was tried it sounds to me like a neutral safety switch.
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:24 PM   #35
02maher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Take it to a dealer. There is nothing you can do to reprogram it.
And there is no way they took the chip out and hid it anyplace and put a different cover on it. Give us a pic of the inside of the key.
You’re probably right, I’ve been going to so many places and called many locksmiths, only a couple of them know subaru systems and the one that tried to reset the immobiliser today with his Professional tools was trying for an hour and a half with no success.

The thing is I talked to the dealer and they told me that they will have to replace many components including the ECM, they didn’t tell me how much it would cost but I’m estimating it’s gonna be 500 to a 1000usd.

Or instead of that I can buy the whole system from scraps. I found an frs imported from usa Manual also. This car starts and have other issues. So If I buy it’s key+ignition coil+ECM+ECU and fit it in my car then it would start without key programming Correct?

My car is a GT86 and this one an FrS both from 2013 and same key system.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:48 AM   #36
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
You’re probably right, I’ve been going to so many places and called many locksmiths, only a couple of them know subaru systems and the one that tried to reset the immobiliser today with his Professional tools was trying for an hour and a half with no success.

The thing is I talked to the dealer and they told me that they will have to replace many components including the ECM, they didn’t tell me how much it would cost but I’m estimating it’s gonna be 500 to a 1000usd.

Or instead of that I can buy the whole system from scraps. I found an frs imported from usa Manual also. This car starts and have other issues. So If I buy it’s key+ignition coil+ECM+ECU and fit it in my car then it would start without key programming Correct?

My car is a GT86 and this one an FrS both from 2013 and same key system.
You didn't learn your lesson from jacking the first car?

(J/K hahaha)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 07:08 AM   #37
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109442
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
02maher (05-19-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 09:00 AM   #38
02maher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post

This guy said the quote from the dealer was 4800$! wow... I'm not sure about going to the dealer anymore.

I emailed him, hoping for the best

Tags
anti-theft, flashing, immobiliser, immobilizer, nostart