follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #57
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,017 Times in 1,859 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Key less is nice until the battery dies and leaves you stranded who knows where.
How would a keyless system leave you stranded? There's a physical key to lock and unlock the door, and all you have to do to start the car is hold the fob right up against the push start button to start the engine. I think it's better than wearing out the ignition or key itself when ever the key is inserted to start the engine.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:03 AM   #58
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
How would a keyless system leave you stranded? There's a physical key to lock and unlock the door, and all you have to do to start the car is hold the fob right up against the push start button to start the engine. I think it's better than wearing out the ignition or key itself when ever the key is inserted to start the engine.

Because like anything else, that is easier said than done. Yes theoretically that should work just fine. In the real world I had to have everything absolutely lined up perfectly and it took several tries and finally it worked, but it was not easy.

Just like turning on the alarm for the limited BRZ takes practice, and the pedal dance takes practice. And you're assuming everyone knows exactly how to do it and where to put the fob, which will never be the case.

You cannot wear out a keyed ignition. Cars simply don't last long enough for that to happen.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:15 AM   #59
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You cannot wear out a keyed ignition. Cars simply don't last long enough for that to happen.
You absolutely can, my roommate did it on his 300,000 mile early 90s BMW.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:55 PM   #60
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Because like anything else, that is easier said than done. Yes theoretically that should work just fine. In the real world I had to have everything absolutely lined up perfectly and it took several tries and finally it worked, but it was not easy.

Just like turning on the alarm for the limited BRZ takes practice, and the pedal dance takes practice. And you're assuming everyone knows exactly how to do it and where to put the fob, which will never be the case.

I used to do it all the time back when I sold Toyotas. Don't really need to line up the fob perfectly. Just having it against the button was enough. No one showed me how to do it, they just told me to have the key next to the button.

I wore out a key before to the point where unlocking, and locking the car was very difficult (that car did not have power door locks).
Old 05-21-2020, 03:42 AM   #61
fitcious

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Too bad you want a manual, I am thinking of selling mine.

2013 FRS
Ultramarine
Auto
44,000 miles
No accidents, clean title, title in hand
OEM spoiler, OEM Fog lights, 2017 OEM radio with navigation installed
OEM Platinum warranty for another 1 year.

MODS: TRD Exhaust, TRD Intake (not the filter, the entire intake), TRD forged wheels (The ones that came on Release series 2.0 but dark grey instead of that shiny black chrome RS2.0 had), TRD Sway bars, TRD front strut bar, TRD oil cap, TRD Shift knob), OEM clear bra installed.

Valve springs recall NOT done yet because I get paranoid that it will be worst afterwards. Never been track or raced.

It was my daily for 3 years until it sat in garage. I used to work for Toyota corporate in Torrance before they moved to Texas. I was their corporate product trainer, so the vehicle is taken care of.
fitcious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:15 PM   #62
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,323 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
You should buy the 2015 I'm selling, great shape, no accidents, reasonable price!
Old 05-21-2020, 03:40 PM   #63
Kaotic Lazagna

OP bought a new BRZ already.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaotic Lazagna For This Useful Post:
fitcious (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 04:46 PM   #64
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitcious View Post
Valve springs recall NOT done yet because I get paranoid that it will be worst afterwards.
This is a fear of mine as well. I've read some stories,and I don't trust my local Toyota dealers to work on a boxer engine. I really wish I could take it to the Subaru dealer and get it done.

I guess I'll get them done when I need to replace the clutch and waterpump(or when the engine blows up).
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Th3rdSun For This Useful Post:
fitcious (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 05:54 PM   #65
fitcious

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
This is a fear of mine as well. I've read some stories,and I don't trust my local Toyota dealers to work on a boxer engine. I really wish I could take it to the Subaru dealer and get it done.

I guess I'll get them done when I need to replace the clutch and waterpump(or when the engine blows up).
Not sure where you’re located but I hear that if the recall isn’t done, the registration cannot be renewed. Mine is coming up in August....
fitcious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:47 AM   #66
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Not sure where you’re located but I hear that if the recall isn’t done, the registration cannot be renewed. Mine is coming up in August....

Mine is coming up next month,but the recall was issued in December,2018. I had no problem re-registering my car last year,and have had other cars that were under recall,and re-registered those as well.

It's never been an issue here. The only thing that prevents getting a car registered here in Illinois is a failed emissions test,and that has happened to me before.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #67
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
That's a California thing only from what we've seen on here.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:47 AM   #68
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
That would make no difference.

It has nothing to do with it being a boxer engine. The seal used in this engine that causes the issues seen is unique to this Subaru engine. Your risk is no higher at Toyota than it is Subaru. Also, at this point all you need to do is talk to the dealer, ask who will be doing the work and how many they have done.

The risk of failure is low and if it happens, they will make it right despite the few examples on here where they didn't.

Or, you could just not do it and don't worry about it unless you live in CA. Then you always have the option to move I suppose.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Yoshoobaroo (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 10:00 AM   #69
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
It kind of *is* related to being a boxer engine though. Because it’s a boxer it has a split crank case, which no current Toyota engine design uses. So the Toyota techs aren’t used to sealing up engine blocks like this, they’re used to using gaskets which are a lot easier.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #70
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
It kind of *is* related to being a boxer engine though. Because it’s a boxer it has a split crank case, which no current Toyota engine design uses. So the Toyota techs aren’t used to sealing up engine blocks like this, they’re used to using gaskets which are a lot easier.
All other boxer engines in this recall use gaskets as well, or so I gather from what I've read here. It is only this engine that has the sealant.