follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #3081
BIOSphere

Drives: Turbocharged 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I bought a 2015 Scion FR-S a few months ago, it has 32,000 miles and recently started RPM hunting (maybe a month ago) and then the check engine and slip lights began to turn on last week (currently codes: P000A and P2757, though they seem to change frequently after I clear them). I plan to take it in and see if an ECU flash will make any difference, however my car has a MapPerformance Turbo and E-85 tune. Will the ECU flash mess up my tune? Any suggestions on things to try before an ECU flash?
BIOSphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #3082
f1rstxlas7

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Got hit by the slip light/CEL P0016 code a few weeks back and it's been a nightmare ever since. I've lost all faith in this brand and it's very clear that neither Corporate nor my local dealership wants to right this wrong at all.

Working with Toyota Corporate & my local dealership DCH Wappingers Falls Toyota has been a complete nightmare. I brought my '13 FR-S in for a diagnosis of a P0016 engine code which has affected so many of us since launch, yet Toyota refuses to acknowledge the problem. My warranty ended last November, so none of the $3000+ repair would be covered.

When I brought the car in for diagnosis, DCH Wappingers flushed my engine with new oil(without even asking first and it didn’t fix the code) and diagnosed the problem after contacting their tech service line. When I decided to take it for a 2nd opinion, my Service Advisor Tom suggested I stay with DCH because my service tech has decades of experience and he’ll be the one working on the car. However, after I got the 2nd opinion and came back to Toyota because of the supposed “decades of experiences,” Tom told me that it’d take 15 hours of work and would be split between more than 1 person to keep the repair on track. So while I appreciate getting the job done quicker, please don’t lie to your customers about the Technicians working on cars if they’re going to be rotating in and out to get them done. Tom brought me to checkout, I expressed my disdain for the experience to which he replied that he couldn’t do much, except, “give me a break on the labor.” I’ll get to that in a minute.

Tom loaned me a Toyota Sienna that was filled with garbage, which was then noted as a mistake by Toyota Corporate. According to Toyota, a loaner is only made available when parts under warranty are being repaired, but according to Toyota, this was not the case with my repair. To me, this is an admission that this repair should have been covered under warranty, but Toyota didn’t want to pay the expense of parts & labor.

Between all of these happenings, I contacted Toyota Corporate a total of 4 times to see if they’d be at all helpful. They were not. I repeated over and over again with how unhappy I was with the Toyota Brand and the dealership for unreliability. To their credit, everyone has been polite. Unfortunately, everyone at Corporate would simple re-state that “Toyota’s stance has already been noted on this matter.” Juan Ortega, a Customer Help Supervisor, assured me that the loaner was indeed a mistake and that the dealership should not have done this. I asked Juan outright if he thought I was happy with Toyota and his response was, “No.” All the while, I asked for these cases to be forwarded to Ben Carlson, the Service Manager of the dealership for review. To my surprise, not a single case was forwarded to the dealership.

When I returned to pick up my car from repair, Tom had already left for the day, and I saw that my invoice had basically stayed the same since the initial quote. Since he wasn’t at the dealership, I called him the following day and asked why he didn’t, “give me a break on the labor” like he said he would. He explained that the job only took 13 ½ hours, so the saved labor time, plus tax equaled about what I was initially quoted. First, you didn’t give me a break, your just Tech finished the job sooner than anticipated. I’m not trying to nickel and dime the dealership, I’ll be honest, I’m trying to get the entirety of this job paid for like it should have been by Toyota from the start. Second, I request to Tom that he let Ben know about my cases. He never did.

The fact that there’s so much disconnect between Toyota Corporate and DCH Wappingers has been absolutely infuriating. Corporate won’t work with the dealership and DCH won’t even contact Corporate, then the customer gets hung out to dry.

If I have no faith in your brand, then whatever.
If I have no faith in your brand and your dealerships, then ok, that’s tough.
But if I have no faith in your brand, dealership, AND your cars, then you just lost a customer for life.
f1rstxlas7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f1rstxlas7 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (04-05-2023), Marrk (07-24-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 04:31 PM   #3083
iceman666

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ / 2001 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So, we can add my 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited to the list of vehicles.

I had approximately 97,000 trouble free miles on my car. . . And then (3 weeks ago) I brought my BRZ in for the valve spring warranty recall and normal service.

One week later: constant CEL and SL indicator lights and a couple of random "sputtering" issues at idle.

The dealership "flashed" the ECU. That "fix" worked for 24 hours.

The following week, brought my car back in, had the right oil control valve replaced. That "fix" worked for just about 1 week.

Currently having additional work done to attempt to resolve the issue.

I will keep everyone posted.

Needless to say, I am not happy.
iceman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:08 PM   #3084
xxthrillxx
Perfectly Balanced...

Drives: '13 FRS & '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman666 View Post
So, we can add my 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited to the list of vehicles.

I had approximately 97,000 trouble free miles on my car. . . And then (3 weeks ago) I brought my BRZ in for the valve spring warranty recall and normal service.

One week later: constant CEL and SL indicator lights and a couple of random "sputtering" issues at idle.

The dealership "flashed" the ECU. That "fix" worked for 24 hours.

The following week, brought my car back in, had the right oil control valve replaced. That "fix" worked for just about 1 week.

Currently having additional work done to attempt to resolve the issue.

I will keep everyone posted.

Needless to say, I am not happy.
Have them pull the oil pan and check the Oil Pick Up Tube... might just be gunked up causing these codes to pop up... thats what happened to mine, but was a bit too late

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
xxthrillxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:38 PM   #3085
iceman666

XXthrillxx,

Thanks for the suggestion. Following my most recent post, the service department replaced the right exhaust oil control valve (in addition to the right intake oil control valve previously replaced).

I have been driving for a few days and no issues so far.

We will provide an update in a week or two.
The Following User Says Thank You to iceman666 For This Useful Post:
xxthrillxx (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 01:07 AM   #3086
iceman666

So, one week from my most recent "repair" and I'm virtually certain you can add my 2013 BRZ limited to list of engine failures.

Driving home tonight, noticed a slight "whistle" from the engine (no warning lights). As I exited the highway (2 miles from home), "whistle" got progressively worse, sounds like a classic "rod knock". Car stalled out, fortunately gravity allowed me to roll into my driveway as the engine died.

Tomorrow is going to be "fun" visit to the service department at the dealership.

Just to recap: 97K+ problem free miles.
Brought my car in for the valve spring recall.
A week later, CEL and SL indicators and random idle issue: Dealer service department "flashed" the ECU
4 days later, CEL and SL indicators and recurrence of random idle issue: Dealer service department replaces right intake oil control valve.
1 week later, CEL and SL indicators, Dealer service department replaces right exhaust oil control valve.
1 week later, almost certain catastrophic engine failure (to be confirmed once I have my vehicle towed to the dealership in the morning).

More to follow. . .
Old 08-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #3087
SLVRSRFR

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT, 2007 WRX Wagon 5MT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've posted in this thread before, but not sure how long ago.

Long story short, summer 2017 at 110k km on my 2013 BRZ (June 2012 build date) I got the dreaded P0018 with CEL, "slip" light, and full limp mode. I was only 10k out of my warranty (and still within the time period), so after having the car diagnosed at my local dealer, and being told what the repair bill would cost, and being told that I would receive no coverage from the dealership, I approached Subaru Canada about the issue, not expecting them to do much for me but figuring I had nothing to lose.

After about 2 weeks of deliberation, Subaru Canada offered to cover the cost of all parts involved, and give me a discount on the labour. So what was initially thought to be a $3k repair bill, ended up being about $500 out of my pocket. Got the car back with no CEL, no limp mode, happier than a pig in shit. I was told the ECU, camshaft assembly, OCV's, and a couple of other small parts were changed. They had the car for 2 days and paid for my rental as well. Subaru Canada told me this was "goodwill" and there would be no warranty on the replaced parts.

Less than a month later, on my way back from my cottage, I'm doing about 130km/h on the highway, and the slip light flashed quickly, while the CEL stayed on solid. I absolutely panicked, knowing what I had just gone through. Hooked up to my friend's OFT the next day and got...P0351. This code had never appeared before the P0018 repair was completed.

I should mention that my engine is bone stock with the exception of a drop-in filter, and axle-back exhaust. I should ALSO mention that yes; my car does fall into the scope for the valve-spring recall, but because of the horror-stories I've heard about it, I have not had that recall performed yet, and the recall came out LONG after this light started popping up.

Well, again long story short, that light has been coming on and off sporadically for the better part of 2 years now. I tried swapping coils; code stayed on the same coil. Tried heat wrapping the head; code kept coming back. Car seems to acting completely normal otherwise; I feel no misfires, no lack of power, no hesitation or bogging, and my fuel economy appears normal. I do not abuse this car; I barely ever shift above 4k rpm, but this light seems to have a mind of its own. I will sometimes go days without it, and then other times, it will pop up over and over again every day. It seems to reset itself every 3 drive-cycles, but always eventually comes on again, whether it's days or merely hours later. The slip light always flashes quickly when the CEL first comes on, and sometimes the CEL will just stay on by itself, but other times, the slip light will turn on and off like a bloody strobe light as I'm driving along, seemingly random as well. Again, no limp mode or misfire feels present. There was one time where I had cruise control on while on the highway on a longer drive. All of a sudden the cruise kicked out as the light came on, and my cruise was no longer working. Other times, if the light comes on when I'm NOT using cruise control, the cruise control is still available and working.

I finally had the coil replaced (with a slightly used coil I will admit) a couple of weeks ago, simply for the fact that I'm tired of this stupid light coming on and off.

Less than 5 minutes after pulling out of my shop's driveway with the "new" coil...the light came back. I called the shop right away, went back, he re-scanned, and STILL got P0351. The next day, the light turned off by itself, and was off for 4 whole days before it popped up again last night on my way home from work. My car is now at around 185k km (yes I drive a lot) and really hasn't had any other engine-related issues besides the P0018, and this. I am no longer taking my car to a Subaru dealer since I am so far out of warranty, but he is a very reputable local performance shop that works on a lot of 86-chassis cars.

I am baffled by what to do next, and my shop hasn't had much experience with this issue before. What should I plan to do next? Plugs? Another coil replacement, but maybe brand-new this time? Search for potential issues with the harness?

Again, my car is driving and acting totally normal despite the light, so I haven't had much urgency in getting this fixed until the light started to genuinely bother me, but should I be worried about further potential damage or issues?

Thanks all. I have a major love/hate relationship with this car and this certainly isn't helping.

Last edited by SLVRSRFR; 08-23-2019 at 12:59 PM.
SLVRSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:19 PM   #3088
xxthrillxx
Perfectly Balanced...

So, contrary to popular belief. SUBARU will complete the J02 service recall to your vehicle regardless of SALVAGE TITLE, AND even if your engine was swapped aka from another donor vehicle (FA20)...

I just got my car back from Subaru Pacific... my BRZ has salvage title and a swapped engine from an AUTO. Needless to see i am good!

Just thought id share the info. Lots ignorant info floating around, hope this clears it up if you were on the same boat as me.

Old 06-12-2020, 01:40 AM   #3089
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVRSRFR View Post
I've posted in this thread before, but not sure how long ago.

Long story short, summer 2017 at 110k km on my 2013 BRZ (June 2012 build date) I got the dreaded P0018 with CEL, "slip" light, and full limp mode. I was only 10k out of my warranty (and still within the time period), so after having the car diagnosed at my local dealer, and being told what the repair bill would cost, and being told that I would receive no coverage from the dealership, I approached Subaru Canada about the issue, not expecting them to do much for me but figuring I had nothing to lose.

After about 2 weeks of deliberation, Subaru Canada offered to cover the cost of all parts involved, and give me a discount on the labour. So what was initially thought to be a $3k repair bill, ended up being about $500 out of my pocket. Got the car back with no CEL, no limp mode, happier than a pig in shit. I was told the ECU, camshaft assembly, OCV's, and a couple of other small parts were changed. They had the car for 2 days and paid for my rental as well. Subaru Canada told me this was "goodwill" and there would be no warranty on the replaced parts.

Less than a month later, on my way back from my cottage, I'm doing about 130km/h on the highway, and the slip light flashed quickly, while the CEL stayed on solid. I absolutely panicked, knowing what I had just gone through. Hooked up to my friend's OFT the next day and got...P0351. This code had never appeared before the P0018 repair was completed.

I should mention that my engine is bone stock with the exception of a drop-in filter, and axle-back exhaust. I should ALSO mention that yes; my car does fall into the scope for the valve-spring recall, but because of the horror-stories I've heard about it, I have not had that recall performed yet, and the recall came out LONG after this light started popping up.

Well, again long story short, that light has been coming on and off sporadically for the better part of 2 years now. I tried swapping coils; code stayed on the same coil. Tried heat wrapping the head; code kept coming back. Car seems to acting completely normal otherwise; I feel no misfires, no lack of power, no hesitation or bogging, and my fuel economy appears normal. I do not abuse this car; I barely ever shift above 4k rpm, but this light seems to have a mind of its own. I will sometimes go days without it, and then other times, it will pop up over and over again every day. It seems to reset itself every 3 drive-cycles, but always eventually comes on again, whether it's days or merely hours later. The slip light always flashes quickly when the CEL first comes on, and sometimes the CEL will just stay on by itself, but other times, the slip light will turn on and off like a bloody strobe light as I'm driving along, seemingly random as well. Again, no limp mode or misfire feels present. There was one time where I had cruise control on while on the highway on a longer drive. All of a sudden the cruise kicked out as the light came on, and my cruise was no longer working. Other times, if the light comes on when I'm NOT using cruise control, the cruise control is still available and working.

I finally had the coil replaced (with a slightly used coil I will admit) a couple of weeks ago, simply for the fact that I'm tired of this stupid light coming on and off.

Less than 5 minutes after pulling out of my shop's driveway with the "new" coil...the light came back. I called the shop right away, went back, he re-scanned, and STILL got P0351. The next day, the light turned off by itself, and was off for 4 whole days before it popped up again last night on my way home from work. My car is now at around 185k km (yes I drive a lot) and really hasn't had any other engine-related issues besides the P0018, and this. I am no longer taking my car to a Subaru dealer since I am so far out of warranty, but he is a very reputable local performance shop that works on a lot of 86-chassis cars.

I am baffled by what to do next, and my shop hasn't had much experience with this issue before. What should I plan to do next? Plugs? Another coil replacement, but maybe brand-new this time? Search for potential issues with the harness?

Again, my car is driving and acting totally normal despite the light, so I haven't had much urgency in getting this fixed until the light started to genuinely bother me, but should I be worried about further potential damage or issues?

Thanks all. I have a major love/hate relationship with this car and this certainly isn't helping.

Change the plugs , if that doesn’t fix I would change all coils versus just one ........ I have a Brz and a bugeye , my bugeye used to pop a third cylinder misfire that didn’t get fixed till changing all four ignition coils instead of just one good one .......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:33 AM   #3090
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey everyone

I'm unearthing this monster of a topic for a friend who's having an issue on his 86.
He got the recall done in France, at what we thought was a competent shop (the mechanic used to work at Subie and swapped the motor on his turbo impreza, so he knows his boxers).

Anyway, shortly after the recall, the car started having idle issues every other time, with the idle jumping up & down and him having to keep the throttle open to prevent the car from stalling. Also got a CEL code P0391 once, but the issue kept showing after he cleared it, these times with no CEL at all. The problem can get so bad that the car can stall while in gear at lower revs.

His mechanic looked at the car and couldn't pinpoint the issue, so they had a "national engineer" come to the dealership, re-opened the block with him present, and found none of the typical post-J02 oiling issues which are so common. They're now considering replacing the whole VVT system on the driver's side, but this might be an out-of-pocket expense for him since it's hard to link the issue with a problem during the recall.

The car is one of the first 86's sold here (a 2012), with around 40-50k miles, bone stock.

What do you guys think of this? I have to be completely honest and confess that I didn't read all 221 pages of this thread , but I also didn't find anything obvious that would answer the question.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:30 PM   #3091
John K

Drives: 2013 Scion Fr-S
Add mine to the list unfortunately. Had my 2013 Fr-S for about a year and a half. Just came back from deployment two weeks again and mine went into limp mode. Checked the codes and it was showing P0019.

Figured it was a fluke from not being driven for some time due to the wife driving her car but I did have her drive it every two weeks.

Did some digging figured it was a simple reflash fix maybe started even looking into some tunes. Out of curiosity started digging more and more and I find this thread.

Mines a 2013 Fr-S with 72k miles on it. I bought it with 56k miles in June of 2018. Next step is to see if I can go to the same dealership I had do the valve spring recall and see if I can get them to pay for parts and labor but I’m not sure how far I’ll get.

My car began doing this recently and will sit at 600rpm then dip to 500-550 and almost stall then go back up. Didn’t think anything of it until it went into limp mode then I got worried. Any suggestions from anyone will help regarding the car, dealing with dealerships/big Toyota etc. Seems enough of us are having this issue but Toyota seems to keep trying to pass it off.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:43 PM   #3092
xxthrillxx
Perfectly Balanced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
Add mine to the list unfortunately. Had my 2013 Fr-S for about a year and a half. Just came back from deployment two weeks again and mine went into limp mode. Checked the codes and it was showing P0019.

Figured it was a fluke from not being driven for some time due to the wife driving her car but I did have her drive it every two weeks.

Did some digging figured it was a simple reflash fix maybe started even looking into some tunes. Out of curiosity started digging more and more and I find this thread.

Mines a 2013 Fr-S with 72k miles on it. I bought it with 56k miles in June of 2018. Next step is to see if I can go to the same dealership I had do the valve spring recall and see if I can get them to pay for parts and labor but I’m not sure how far I’ll get.

My car began doing this recently and will sit at 600rpm then dip to 500-550 and almost stall then go back up. Didn’t think anything of it until it went into limp mode then I got worried. Any suggestions from anyone will help regarding the car, dealing with dealerships/big Toyota etc. Seems enough of us are having this issue but Toyota seems to keep trying to pass it off.
If you havent done the recall... definitely time to do it.... if you have done it and then you are getting this code, it could be that one of your OCV are not getting oil which could be due to a clogged oil pickup tube. Dont push the car until it is resolved... this happened to my BRZ and i unfortunately was too late.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:46 PM   #3093
John K

Drives: 2013 Scion Fr-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthrillxx View Post
If you havent done the recall... definitely time to do it.... if you have done it and then you are getting this code, it could be that one of your OCV are not getting oil which could be due to a clogged oil pickup tube. Dont push the car until it is resolved... this happened to my BRZ and i unfortunately was too late.

Good to know. Going to bring it into them as soon at the codes pop up again but as far as I know there is no recall for any of those parts is there? The only recall I was aware of was the valve springs which was done I’d say January of 19. If that’s the recall you’re talking about it’s done, but if you’re aware of another regarding the OCV or cam please let me know.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:58 PM   #3094
xxthrillxx
Perfectly Balanced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
Good to know. Going to bring it into them as soon at the codes pop up again but as far as I know there is no recall for any of those parts is there? The only recall I was aware of was the valve springs which was done I’d say January of 19. If that’s the recall you’re talking about it’s done, but if you’re aware of another regarding the OCV or cam please let me know.
Okay good if the valve spring service was done, you are good.

However, i would take it back to them to the oil pan and check the oil pick up tube.

It is not uncommon that the dealer uses too much sealant on the timing cover and it drips down to the oil pan causing these codes after thr J02 service.

In a best case scenario, hopefully it really just is a bad OCV.