follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-31-2016, 08:41 PM   #85
johl

Drives: toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I would also love to hear that comparison. Also include what you use the car for ie. Daily or track or weekend fun please
Old 11-01-2016, 05:27 PM   #86
FRSTRM
Baby LFA

Drives: Baby LFA
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Sure! While moving from close to 200 WHP to 288WHP (297WHP with high boost setup) was spectacular, I didn't really realize what "boost" was until upgrading once again to a 321WHP turbo setup. The SC give you decent, while somewhat unreliable, power, but you really don't get that boost feel. Driving the turbo for the first time, I loved the straight power curve, so smooth, and I loved the power - however once I "hit boost" I knew there was no turning back.

Driving the SC I loved it, the whine was great, the power was good, but I also never wanted to push it much because the kit was so unreliable and I just had so many issues. The turbo kit I drive with no concerns whatsoever and even though the power is only 30WHP increase or so, it's not all numbers. It's hard to explain until you drive the kit yourself.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Care to share about the supercharger feel vs the turbo?
FRSTRM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSTRM For This Useful Post:
Yoda (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 05:30 PM   #87
FRSTRM
Baby LFA

Garage
I did purchase a 2006 350z earlier this year as a daily driver and winter beater, but the FRS has been my daily since I got the car back from PTuning haha.

I will be racing it once again in the spring, but for now it's a show car/daily until the winter comes roaring in and then it will be back to the Z while the FRS hides in the garage.

So the official use for the FRS now is race/weekend fun, but I would see absolutely no issues dailying it if I didn't have my Z to keep the miles down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johl View Post
I would also love to hear that comparison. Also include what you use the car for ie. Daily or track or weekend fun please
Old 11-01-2016, 05:32 PM   #88
FRSTRM
Baby LFA

Garage
I can't speak to stock since I only had the kit installed with my N1 setup, but I could not tell any audible differences between the two, the SC was actually a bit louder.

but also keep in mind the N1 kit is a bit loud to begin with. I'm pretty sure I've heard the V1 kit installed on a pretty quiet exhaust setup and it did not impact it much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's86 View Post
That makes me very happy
I've had an obnoxiously Loud 4 banger eclipse for a long time and I don't exactly want that in my next car. If I can keep the car as quiet as stock, or close to that quiet, I'd be very happy
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSTRM For This Useful Post:
Joe's86 (02-02-2017)
Old 11-01-2016, 08:04 PM   #89
Yoda

Drives: Crystal Black BRZ(Sophia)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSTRM View Post
Sure! While moving from close to 200 WHP to 288WHP (297WHP with high boost setup) was spectacular, I didn't really realize what "boost" was until upgrading once again to a 321WHP turbo setup. The SC give you decent, while somewhat unreliable, power, but you really don't get that boost feel. Driving the turbo for the first time, I loved the straight power curve, so smooth, and I loved the power - however once I "hit boost" I knew there was no turning back.

Driving the SC I loved it, the whine was great, the power was good, but I also never wanted to push it much because the kit was so unreliable and I just had so many issues. The turbo kit I drive with no concerns whatsoever and even though the power is only 30WHP increase or so, it's not all numbers. It's hard to explain until you drive the kit yourself.

Cheers!
Thanks for the reply. It has been an internal battle I have been having as this is the kit of my dreams vs wanting put the coin down for it. I am 3/4 the way saved up for it but the boost itch is real. Looks like I better wait for it so I have no regrets. Why not treat yourself to the best
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 06:32 AM   #90
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:

Cheers!

Was that the KW kit?

What rpm, approximately, do you start to make more power than the supercharger kit makes?
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #91
Freddy@PTUNING

Drives: Honda S2000 & Acura RSX Type-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Freddy@PTUNING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
no regrets. Why not treat yourself to the best
That is exactly how we feel.
Freddy@PTUNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:10 PM   #92
Freddy@PTUNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Was that the KW kit?

What rpm, approximately, do you start to make more power than the supercharger kit makes?
It makes more power literally everywhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to Freddy@PTUNING For This Useful Post:
Calum (11-02-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #93
Joe's86

Drives: 99 eclipse RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I can't speak to stock since I only had the kit installed with my N1 setup, but I could not tell any audible differences between the two, the SC was actually a bit louder.

but also keep in mind the N1 kit is a bit loud to begin with. I'm pretty sure I've heard the V1 kit installed on a pretty quiet exhaust setup and it did not impact it much!
How's the drone on long drives?

How are you're oil/coolant Temps holding up? I'm not sold on the lamina cooler. I can't remember if someone asked you that or not, so ignore it if someone has. (I hate when people re-ask the same questions bc they're too lazy to read everyone else's post)

Also, I'm surprised you track the 86 and daily the 370. I would think most people would do the opposite and spend more money on upgrading the z. Twin turbos on that thing would be insane

Last edited by Joe's86; 11-03-2016 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Typo
Joe's86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #94
Freddy@PTUNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's86 View Post
How's the drone on long drives?

How are you're oil/coolant Temps holding up? I'm not sold on the lamina cooler. I can't remember if someone asked you that or not, so ignore it if someone has. (I hate when people re-ask the same questions bc they're too lazy to read everyone else's post)

Also, I'm surprised you track the 86 and daily the 370. I would think most people would do the opposite and spend more money on upgrading the z. Twin turbos on that thing would be insane
*350Z

Have you not been to the track lately? I think you will see way more 86s at the track/autox than 350Zs. I too, would rather track an 86 than a 350Z.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #95
enivid

Drives: WRB JR BRZED
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
In Utah, we have around 4 86's at the track and 20 350z's
enivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 03:06 PM   #96
Freddy@PTUNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by enivid View Post
In Utah, we have around 4 86's at the track and 20 350z's
O RLY?!?!
Old 11-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #97
Joe's86

Drives: 99 eclipse RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy@PTUNING View Post
*350Z

Have you not been to the track lately? I think you will see way more 86s at the track/autox than 350Zs. I too, would rather track an 86 than a 350Z.
Haha I have never been to the track, nor have I driven a 350 (70). But if I had both cars and money to spend, I THINK I'd rather work on improving the Nissan. But again that comment is being formed on very very little first hand experience. . Just my thoughts I go back and forth on whether I want a 370 or an 86 especially since I plan on spending 11k on performance upgrades for the 86 to achieve the same power as the z. Yes the z weighs more so the power to weight ratio will be better on the 86, but it'll be close. . I know the ptuning kit is top notch for reliability but it's still a non-boosted motor getting boosted.

Oh I dunno what to think., anyone with both the z and 86 care to give any input so that i don't keep rambling on about my daily internal battle?
Joe's86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:12 PM   #98
MattTheGinge

Drives: Series.Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I have been eyeing this kit for a while, after reading almost every thread about every higher end kit (turbos and sc) I originally came to the conclutuon to go with the Jackson racing supercharger, I was almost dead set on that but I knew the power levels would be limited, and then I finally decided on this setup after reading what everyone has said about them. I have driven both sc and turbo cars and I'd have to say that this car deserves a turbo. I've actually only driven an 86 a handful of times and even my safty conscious mother could tell you it lacks in power. I can't speak for the kit itself but what I can speak for is my research, because I know someone reading this down the road will be in the same boat as me, reading the forums and reading reviews, and this is what I have set my heart (and bank account) on for my future mods. I'm actually budgeting this kit into the price of the series.blue I'm going to look at and hopefully buy tomorrow. Ptuning will be the proud owner of a decent chunk of my bank account very soon
MattTheGinge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MattTheGinge For This Useful Post:
Freddy@PTUNING (11-08-2016), FRSTRM (11-14-2016), kanundrum (11-07-2016)

Tags
garrett, ptuning, tial, turbo, turbosmart