follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 10:03 AM   #3123
Moto-P

Drives: Many types of cars in R&D.
Thanked 3,058 Times in 568 Posts
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust86 View Post
“It was difficult to achieve a good balance using a very big inline 6 engine. But for that goal, BMW, had even done a late-development redesign once at great expense.
They just felt our goals were worthy enough, to lower center of gravity further by dropping the engine to a plane that was previously deemed too difficult.
BMW just came though like this for many things, to get this car done right. They felt it, and we were adamant about it.”

Does this mean dry sump?!?!
If it did, I’ll be shocked, and I’ll turn my house upside down to get inline.
Lol. But seeing the Porsche as a “target” hey, let’s cross fingers.

Still I’m not done with the 86 yet either though...
the 2017 Cusco car here at the office is fantastic too.
Consulting Member at Cusco, OEM+, RS-R.
www.club4ag.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
Trust86 (07-24-2018), Ultramaroon (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #3124
Moto-P

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Working with other OEMs to tweak their own platforms?
Tada and his team have the coolest jobs ever.
I’m not sure if you like his job. He’s traveling to far corners of the Earth not only for R&D but to see all the screaming kids telling him about A80 like he doesn’t know. And trying to make things work with hundreds of people and 5,000 pieces of a car readying to be made with an advanced factory assembly lines. He is home 1 day a month... for the last decade, between this and 86 previously...

Think about that. It takes a pretty extraordinary person to love what he goes through. But yes, he is very special.
www.club4ag.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (07-24-2018), SuperDave (07-25-2018), Ultramaroon (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 10:11 AM   #3125
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
Nothing comes cheap when it comes to cars. But I’m suspecting the 4 cylinder A90 would come in at well under $50k and 6’s inside of $60k mark...
You reported that Tada said that the 4 cylinder model would be for target markets like those that have limits or taxes on engine size. What is your take on the 4 cylinder coming to NA where we do not have those limits but where some would appreciate a more economical A90 model?
gymratter (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #3126
Moto-P

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
The Boxster and the Cayman are the automaker's standard and everyone wants to get some publicity by mentioning these cars.

Anyway, I wish good luck with the new car. I am sure that the BMW fans will buy the new Z4, since there is some time without a model offering in this area. After all the new car is in its heart a BMW product. Let's hope Toyota will get some consumers too requesting more power mainly in the NA market. It won't be easy since the car is manufactured in Austria and the brand is supposed to be Japanese, but let's see how the things will work out ...
I’m sure Toyota thought about the feasibility long before sticking a billion bucks into the project. . If anything the reason A80 is rare today is because that didn’t sell well when it was new. Toyota isn’t vamping up the line to crank out these cars in huge volumes, therefore... unless we as consumers respond otherwise. Then again the 86/BRZ sort of doubled the expected sales than planned, so who knows. I’m sure Toyota has scalability too to meet whatever the demand maybe.

Also I don’t think the Cayman was mentioned for promotional reasons. Because they’ve actually beaten the 911 CarreraS with it already in testing,haha. But I’ll let you win if the marketing guys at Toyota USA puts the word “Porsche” in any of their brochures lol.

I’ll tell you a story though. When Tada san initially told BMW that they wanted to target the Porsche, BMW told the Toyota people, “there’s the door, and Porsche is 80km West, that way... They can help you”
It took a while before BMW said “let’s do this” to Tada san.

Whatever that meant, engineers in Germany don’t take Porsche’s lightly.
And that each firm in Germany have a very adamant method and indenting to making and preserving a brand unique.
www.club4ag.com
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (07-24-2018), gymratter (07-24-2018), krayzie (07-24-2018), new2subaru (07-24-2018), nikitopo (07-24-2018), SuperDave (07-25-2018), Ultramaroon (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #3127
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
You reported that Tada said that the 4 cylinder model would be for target markets like those that have limits or taxes on engine size. What is your take on the 4 cylinder coming to NA where we do not have those limits but where some would appreciate a more economical A90 model?
good question, i was about to ask the same question. someone over at SupraMKV made this comment. also i believe Tada has said they may only offer the 4 cyl in a few selective markets.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/chi...with-bmw.1344/

Quote:
The way it is written makes it sound like its not coming to the US.

costs of a larger engine can be prohibitive in ownership (Europe) or registration costs (Japan).
Old 07-24-2018, 10:34 AM   #3128
Moto-P

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
I think there’s a very good chance it will be here in the USA:
1. It isn’t a Scion so there no need to be mono-priced
2. The market of the USA is all about value
3. There always a select group who’d actually prefer a light car with a lighter engine choice.
4. The dealers would probably want the MSRP to start low.
5. BMW certifies the same engine types so the cost of Federal registration and testing is reduced than if it was a dedicated engine.
6. We want them too!
7. It fits right in the middle between the Inline-6 Supra and 86-Limited in prices.
8. Does not compete with any Lexus product at this time.
9. We like more toys. Lots more toys.
www.club4ag.com
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (07-24-2018), Rampage (07-24-2018), stevesnj (07-24-2018), ZDan (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #3129
Moto-P

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Of course. There is no admonishment or criticism when I say this but everything he says is tempered by working for Toyota.
But he was pretty frank about explaining the details and challenges of working this collaboration, much more so than SUBARU deal with 86/BRZ project.
And he commended BMW for a lot of things too.
Something any PR conscious person would probably not mention if they were overly concerned with the subtitles of their business card and income as a high ranking manager of a mega-firm project...
www.club4ag.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moto-P For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (07-24-2018), krayzie (07-24-2018), Ultramaroon (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #3130
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
i think we also have to keep in mind that the US is a different market vs the rest of the world. a lot of Americans have the mind set of "the bigger the better". its also worth noting that the US is the only market where the TT A80 Supra outsold the NAs. i believe it was like 6,977 GTEs to 4,262 GEs.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:56 AM   #3131
BRZer86
Wattya

Drives: 2018 Subaru WRX - Limited - 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Cayman’s seating position was the target for ZN6.

Cayman’s handling and capability was a target to beat for the A90 Supra.

There’s a difference here.
That had to be challenging to meet or beat considering they're two completely different layouts. Front engine vs. mid-engine.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:02 PM   #3132
BRZer86
Wattya

Drives: 2018 Subaru WRX - Limited - 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
i think we also have to keep in mind that the US is a different market vs the rest of the world. a lot of Americans have the mind set of "the bigger the better". its also worth noting that the US is the only market where the TT A80 Supra outsold the NAs. i believe it was like 6,977 GTEs to 4,262 GEs.
Good point. Also, remember when the US market frowned upon hatchbacks, which the status quo seems to have shifted over the course of the last decade.

2013 Subaru BRZ - Limited - 6MT - WRB: Sold

2013 Subaru BRZ - Limited - 6MT - DGM: Sold
Old 07-24-2018, 12:43 PM   #3133
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
I’m not sure if you like his job. He’s traveling to far corners of the Earth not only for R&D but to see all the screaming kids telling him about A80 like he doesn’t know. And trying to make things work with hundreds of people and 5,000 pieces of a car readying to be made with an advanced factory assembly lines. He is home 1 day a month... for the last decade, between this and 86 previously...

Think about that. It takes a pretty extraordinary person to love what he goes through. But yes, he is very special.
Part leader, spokesman, rock star, engineer, he is the face of this generation's sporting side of Toyota. It's a huge task and honor to perform in such a role.

Let's also not forget the unnamed members of his team. I couldn't sustain his, or his direct reports' positions but I truly admire the work they all do.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:58 PM   #3134
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
I think there’s a very good chance it will be here in the USA:

Honestly I'm looking more forward to the 4-cylinder than the 6. Less weight, better weight distribution, way less $$$...

Quote:
9. We like more toys. Lots more toys.
Yes! So how about this:
2-seat FT86 with rear wheels moved 10" forward. Instant 2600 lb. 50/50 sports car! Why not?!
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (07-24-2018)
Old 07-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #3135
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I think a Dual clutch trans over the manual would seal the deal on a future purchase for me. I love a manual but I like technology and fast shifts. I've been driving a manual for a long time in many cars. Time to grow with the times, for me.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
Old 07-24-2018, 01:30 PM   #3136
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
..in some ways the car is shaping up to be pretty exciting but I still do not understand how they could benchmark Porsche and lack a manual option from the get go? I thought Porsche drivers could care less about paper specs and were into the intangibles.. I fail to understand the "not as fast as an automatic" rhetoric, manual drivers don't really care about that! Then on top of that, from their benchmarking they decide to go with a ZF8 instead of a DCT..

I get TCs have come along way, but with the way everything has been positioned, it ain't like the A90 is going to be a straight line monster like a C7 Vette, which we all know has 7 gears you can row....and neither is it going to be a lightweight fighter like the 4C which has died rather quickly probably owing to the fact that it too didn't have a stick to offer.

will be interesting..

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose