follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-08-2017, 08:57 PM   #1
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sandwich plate

So I was attempting to install my innovative oil pressure / temp sensor gauges and I learned that, damnit , I need an adapter for the galley plug (just learned what a galley plug is too, lol). This lead me to sandwich plates. I haven't found much information on them, but it sounds like they are a plus for fi. So I have been looking for one to buy that is fairly cheap. I didn't want to spend another 100-200 after buying the 2 gauges. I can and likely would upgrade to a better one, but I want to get the gauges installed before I throw the turbo kit in.

Benefits of a sandwich plate?
Cons?

My main question is would it be a bad thing to trim the lip on the oil filter holder (ugh lack of better word)?

I am finding very few 86 compatible plates or I am uncertain if they would actually fit. It sounds like the main issue is the lip on our cars. Or is there a bang for buck method or plate out there? Was hoping to spend less than $70 for now.

The perrin option seemed good until someone with the same gauges showed that the temp sensor doesn't fit it. I do want to use the temp sensor on the gauge so ignoring it is not an option (picky, picky).

Thanks in advance and sorry if the answer is out there. None that I've read had the info I am looking for.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2017, 04:12 AM   #2
toyubie

Drives: none
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I really wouldn't trim that lip off... Main issues seem to be leaks but if you make sure everything is seated properly and don't get a cheap plate you shouldn't have any problems.

The TRD plate is always an options but there are similar designs like this one for $95 that sounds solid:

Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
It's awesome, no leaks whatsoever. The GReddy plate also came with 2 o-rings but you're only supposed to use the one that fits the base plate it screws down onto.

The Blitz was zero fuss and no compromises as it was designed for the GT86. The ports are aligned so that the temp/pressure probes won't contact anything around the oil filter. I'm assuming the TRD is similarly designed
I'd rather spend an extra $30 than cutting that lip off.
toyubie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toyubie For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 05:10 AM   #3
Pointmutation

Drives: 2016 ZC6
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
I am finding very few 86 compatible plates or I am uncertain if they would actually fit. It sounds like the main issue is the lip on our cars. Or is there a bang for buck method or plate out there? Was hoping to spend less than $70 for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyubie View Post
I really wouldn't trim that lip off...

The TRD plate is always an options but there are similar designs like this one for $95 that sounds solid:

I'd rather spend an extra $30 than cutting that lip off.
I use the TRD sensor adapter. Works well. Also, Japanparts has that for much cheaper. But factoring exchange rate at time of purchase and adding in shipping, it's still probably around $100. Other sources, non-US bases, like those in Japan, tend to sell that TRD adapter plate cheaper too. But I haven't seen any at a sub $70 price after shipping.

I agree with Toyubie, I'd spend the extra $30 and not cut that lip off.

How much is the adapter for the galley plug? If you're going for cheap, just use that spot and the idiot oil pressure sensor spot for your temp and pressures.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #4
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Thanks everyone. I figured trimming it wouldn't be a good idea and have opted against that.

I have bought a cheap plate for now. I will see how it does. If it's crap, oh well. I will remove it and suck it up to get an oil cooler with a sandwich plate instead of paying 1/4 of an oil cooling kit just for the sandwich plate.

Thanks for the posts/info/insights.