follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #43
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Hi, unless I'm misunderstanding your post, there are some things that might need clarification:

1) As speed increases, drag coefficient becomes exponentially more important, not less important.
I think you're reading the equation little differently , what I meant to say was ; the power to overcome the drag (Pd) is a lot more dependent to the speed than the drag coefficient (Cd), considering all things being equal..when we start changing things like cars everything start changing (tq, power delivery, gearing, weight, surface area ..etc)

Quote:
2) We're making broad assumptions based on power/weight ratios, but ignoring engine flexibility/area under the torque curve/gearing when comparing 2 cars.
that what I was trying to say in my initial post that's the exact reason why power/weight ratios and the HP figures alone cannot be the indicators of the real world performance

Quote:
Assuming we have two cars, exact same shape power curves, exact same power to weight ratio, exact same drag coefficient, same drive layout, we can say the following:

- The heavier car will be at a disadvantage compared to the lighter car because the heavier car will have to overcome greater inertia, which at some power point will create traction issues. High powered heavy car can't put the power down.

- The heavier car will have an advantage at higher speeds because force required to overcome the inertia and the associated traction problems will become less of an issue, and drag will become more of an issue. Given equivalent drag coefficients, the heavier/higher powered car will pull away
that's actually the complete opposite and the reason why lighter cars (again all else being equal) need more down force to put the power down whereas with the heavier car drive shaft and axle does that for you

Quote:
That said, the FR-S is ligther AND has a lower Cd than most cars with equivalent power to weight ratios. Where the Jackson SC (and all other gear/bet driven centrifugal compressors) fall down is the power curve. They build boost on a slightly exponential curve relative to engine speed. The power is all on the top end, unless you have some fancy variable ratio drive to spin up the compressor at lower RPM's.
that may become a disadvantage or advantage depends on the application, all things being equal, area under the TQ curve is always desirable and I think no can argue about that .. the problem is "all things are not equal"

Quote:
This is why you see positive displacement supercharger kits making around 240-250rwhp easily matching & possibly outpacing centrifugal kits making 270-280rwhp. More area under the curve - especially important on street driven cars.
again depends ..see above
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #44
Yoda

Drives: Crystal Black BRZ(Sophia)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Hi, unless I'm misunderstanding your post, there are some things that might need clarification:

1) As speed increases, drag coefficient becomes exponentially more important, not less important.

2) We're making broad assumptions based on power/weight ratios, but ignoring engine flexibility/area under the torque curve/gearing when comparing 2 cars.

Assuming we have two cars, exact same shape power curves, exact same power to weight ratio, exact same drag coefficient, same drive layout, we can say the following:

- The heavier car will be at a disadvantage compared to the lighter car because the heavier car will have to overcome greater inertia, which at some power point will create traction issues. High powered heavy car can't put the power down.

- The heavier car will have an advantage at higher speeds because force required to overcome the inertia and the associated traction problems will become less of an issue, and drag will become more of an issue. Given equivalent drag coefficients, the heavier/higher powered car will pull away.

That said, the FR-S is ligther AND has a lower Cd than most cars with equivalent power to weight ratios. Where the Jackson SC (and all other gear/bet driven centrifugal compressors) fall down is the power curve. They build boost on a slightly exponential curve relative to engine speed. The power is all on the top end, unless you have some fancy variable ratio drive to spin up the compressor at lower RPM's.

This is why you see positive displacement supercharger kits making around 240-250rwhp easily matching & possibly outpacing centrifugal kits making 270-280rwhp. More area under the curve - especially important on street driven cars.
That.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:31 PM   #45
glamcem

Keep in mind, area under the curve is also responsible for catastrophic failures since it will add more stress when car is constantly under boost which also responsible for heatsoak snd overheating.., it sure feels nice though I have to agree... LS engine creates over 300 wtq on idle, go try race one :P

For my purposes making the peak boost at around 6500-7000 rpm (vs 3500-4000 rpm) seems more logical since it will do a better job mimicking a bigger displacement NA engine (think like a high revving inline 6)

If our engines didn't cost as much as $3500-4000 things could've been different of course
Old 08-21-2015, 06:05 PM   #46
Yoda

You just have to find a kit that fits your driving style. I for one don't really like revving all the way up to get the power I need. I thought it would be cool but I tried driving like that for a week and just not my style. I find myself hovering around 3-4k and that is where I want the power so when I press the gas I go. I don't street race or drag or even track so that top end power is wasted on me. Too many people are concerned with peak power imo.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yoda For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (08-21-2015), DAEMANO (08-21-2015), juliog (08-21-2015), SuperDave (09-01-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #47
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I find myself hovering around 3-4k and that is where I want the power so when I press the gas I go. I don't street race or drag or even track so that top end power is wasted on me. Too many people are concerned with peak power imo.
if that's the case I think you got the wrong car :/ A WRX would be a lot better choice for what you described above

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glamcem For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-21-2015), juliog (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #48
jaycee842

Drives: FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
This is in a straight line, with stock wheels and tires, from a roll.

You have to remember that while every car listed has more power and torque, the FRS/BRZ is a much, much lighter car, in some cases, 1000+ lbs lighter.

It's the exact reason a ND Miata is faster than an FRS, stock for stock, with only 155hp.

I drove the new 2016 Miata a couple days ago for about 30 miles. It was a blast to drive. Couldn't stop giggling. ☺️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaycee842 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaycee842 For This Useful Post:
Sleepless (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #49
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Awesome review. Thank you.

I personally don't care how my car drives for DD. I treat my DD as driving from last track/canyon day to next track/canyon day. haha
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:35 PM   #50
autograph

Drives: 6MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCorBUST View Post
Your overall cost with those other cars would be much higher, so to me at least, the comparison doesn't make any sense. You could just as easily throw a GT350R into the mix, spend the same money and get great results, but it would cost you something like 2.5x more overall.

I have the Perrin system, and its nice and quiet. Quiet enough that people have asked me if the car is even on, if the car has stalled, or if I plan on getting a full exhaust. And thats with already having uel headers, a full exhaust, and of course the JR SC.

Last year, I walked away from an RS5 from a dig and an M6 from 55 on a similar setup. With my current JR setup, I think I could do it again.
the evo is the most expensive of the ones mentioned, starting at 34k, GT at 32k, 370z at 30k, WRX 26k, FRS 25k (all before fees and taxes of course). there is a 9k gap between the highest and lowest in that list, we're not talking about 60k to 70k cars. and while the other cars in the list do cost more, they also come from the factory already having more power and all of them being faster in stock form than a stock FRS. all of them are in the 25-35k price range

I'm guessing you have the perrin resonated?

Last edited by autograph; 08-21-2015 at 06:57 PM.
autograph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autograph For This Useful Post:
glamcem (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 07:08 PM   #51
Phantobe

Drives: 14 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
if that's the case I think you got the wrong car :/ A WRX would be a lot better choice for what you described above

Quite a bold statement to tell someone that they bought the wrong car, being only given a small bit of criteria. >_>

2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S
2000 Integra LS - SOLD
Phantobe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phantobe For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-21-2015), JS + BRZ (08-21-2015), Yoda (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 07:16 PM   #52
Yoda

Quote:

I can see how you might think that but I love this car. The light weight and how easy it is to toss around and the rwd. Just want the power band to be a bit different but that will be fixed one I go FI next year. My first rwd car and I am not leaving.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yoda For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (08-21-2015), JS + BRZ (08-21-2015), Phantobe (08-21-2015), why? (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 09:15 PM   #53
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantobe View Post
Quite a bold statement to tell someone that they bought the wrong car, being only given a small bit of criteria. >_>
since when speaking from personal experience considered as making bold claims?

he already mentioned his type of car he prefers in his initial post, the thing is what he is looking for is the exact weak spot of our cars ( "mid range punch" vs "mid range torque dip" in ) ..so my "bold" statement still prevails stock vs stock,

it's not like I was judging his preference on an RWD or AWD ..
if you read the whole thread we were initially talking about why Rotrex SC'd BRZ/FRSs and why they cannot keep up with the EVO, WRX/STI, 350Z/370Z ..

I personally don't care who likes what type of car (RWD vs AWD, coupe vs roadster vs sedan) , I was just pointing the facts

I repeat "you can never, I mean never hang with a bolt on Evo with a Rotrex SCd FRS/BRZ" ..now that's a bold statement written in bold (no pun intended) but I still don't care b/c it's a fact
Old 08-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #54
SPCorBUST

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by autograph View Post
the evo is the most expensive of the ones mentioned, starting at 34k, GT at 32k, 370z at 30k, WRX 26k, FRS 25k (all before fees and taxes of course). there is a 9k gap between the highest and lowest in that list, we're not talking about 60k to 70k cars. and while the other cars in the list do cost more, they also come from the factory already having more power and all of them being faster in stock form than a stock FRS. all of them are in the 25-35k price range

I'm guessing you have the Perrin resonated?
Those are all more expensive. Yes they have more horsepower. So does a GT350R. So does a GTR. I don't think comparing more expensive vehicles in a dollar-to-dollar comparison is an apples-to-apples comparison, but whatever floats your boat.

Anyhoo, I think the comparison is off-topic to your original post. I mainly meant to chime in that if you're looking for more power and wanted to quiet it down, there are some things you can do.

And yes, I do have the Perrin, its a 2.5 system but for the life of me I can't recall if it's resonated or not. I had a TopSpeedAuto catback before that, and it sounded great but it was so loud that I received complaints.
Setup 5: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Built Motor
Setup 6: JR C30 HBP, DW 700, DW 300, 3bar, FlexFuel, Delicious, Closed Deck Built Motor
SPCorBUST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPCorBUST For This Useful Post:
autograph (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 09:35 PM   #55
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
I repeat "you can never, I mean never hang with a bolt on Evo with a Rotrex SCd FRS/BRZ" ..now that's a bold statement written in bold (no pun intended) but I still don't care b/c it's a fact
I beg to differ. Your experience, clearly, varies from mine.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:42 PM   #56
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I can see how you might think that but I love this car. The light weight and how easy it is to toss around and the rwd. Just want the power band to be a bit different but that will be fixed one I go FI next year. My first rwd car and I am not leaving.
Dude,,, I am not judging your preference or anything ..
I was just talking about the power delivery and the mid range characteristics of our cars that's all

of course RWD is fun, of course being lightweight is something you cannot replace easily but those were all out of the scope of our initial conversation

the thing you said you want in a car is not here, that's all I am saying

..FA20 engine is a high revving NA engine designed to be driven hard all the way up in the power band (just like the NC2-NC3 Miatas) so anytime I hear "limited RPM to 6800rpm " thread I just wanna cry especially with a Rotrex that is also designed to be revved up to the sky..

all that said, if you ask me which one is a better car (BRZ VS WRX) or all the others cars in that list (including the ones I owned in my signature), I would still say the BRZ .. since it's the best car I've ever owned, even with its BS mid range and torque dip, with FI it's better but power delivery still cannot be as healthy as other cars that don't have this problem ..
The Following User Says Thank You to glamcem For This Useful Post:
Yoda (08-21-2015)