follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Gps360

Drives: 2003 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
LED Headlight Kit

I am wondering anyone installed one of those LED Headlight Kit to either to the headlight or DRL? (please google search for Cree Led headlight kit)

The led kit basically contains 2 big yellow Cree led bulbs, electrical cooling fans and ballasts for each bulb. This kit is made in China and they are very bright after installed.

My concern is whether they will get extremely very hot and able to melt the headlamp housing.
Gps360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
KI_ZN6

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Currently, we do believe HID xenon headlights are superior as low beam driving lights. LEDs, by and large, serves well as a cosmetic upgrade and mainly for daytime use (as seen with BMW, Audi, Lexus, VW, etc. utilizing LED daytime technologies and designs on their newer cars).

LEDs and HIDs, when not well-designed and thoughtfully engineered, can easily overheat and damage electrical components (depending on the circumstances).

We would suggest running either halogen or simple LED upgrades in the meantime until the LED headlight kit technology is well-tested and that long-term tests have been conducted, as well as taking care of the bugs and design flaws before they are rolled out.
KI_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
Gps360

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI_ZN6 View Post
Currently, we do believe HID xenon headlights are superior as low beam driving lights. LEDs, by and large, serves well as a cosmetic upgrade and mainly for daytime use (as seen with BMW, Audi, Lexus, VW, etc. utilizing LED daytime technologies and designs on their newer cars).

LEDs and HIDs, when not well-designed and thoughtfully engineered, can easily overheat and damage electrical components (depending on the circumstances).

We would suggest running either halogen or simple LED upgrades in the meantime until the LED headlight kit technology is well-tested and that long-term tests have been conducted, as well as taking care of the bugs and design flaws before they are rolled out.
Agreed.

As I know those Cree LED kits produce extremely hot temperature; otherwise, the cooling fans will not be needed.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Lverasky
RedBunny w/ Wing

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
I got my LED DRLs light bulb and HID kit for the headlight from @KI_ZN6 since last January and it is still working as great as until now.
KI_ZN6 (10-08-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
KI_ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gps360 View Post
Agreed.

As I know those Cree LED kits produce extremely hot temperature; otherwise, the cooling fans will not be needed.
You may want to consider an HID kit for your daytime running lights/high beam lights if you want something bright. HIDs are 3 times brighter than halogen bulbs
Old 10-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Gps360

Quote:
You may want to consider an HID kit for your daytime running lights/high beam lights if you want something bright. HIDs are 3 times brighter than halogen bulbs
HID for DRL? Isn't the DRL and High beam shared the same bulb (9005 HB3)? I believe the DRL consumes less voltage and may cause the HID to flash if I am doing this route.

I may consider using those regular Cree / Led bulbs as you suggested. I don't want to melt the headlamp housings.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
F1fletch

Drives: 13 FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Bringing back this thread because I never found a definative answer to whether anyone has run the LED CREE Bulbs in either Low Beam or DRL/High Beam Applications. They seem well designed (but will they fit). I realize they get hot but the tiny fan helps keep the heat sink cool.
F1fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #8
sshole
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
A plug and play LED "bulb" will not work well as a low beam replacement. What manufacturers such as Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, etc have done is developed an LED headlight system that works with both reflector and projector optics to create usable patches of light output. This is why they need more LEDs to create a similar output to either halogen or HID.

2 LEDs using reflectors for low beam output

2 LEDs in projectors and 1 LED in reflector for low beam output

Replacing your halogen bulb with something like the following will lead to bad times
sshole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sshole For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
Diode Dynamics

Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1fletch View Post
Bringing back this thread because I never found a definative answer to whether anyone has run the LED CREE Bulbs in either Low Beam or DRL/High Beam Applications. They seem well designed (but will they fit). I realize they get hot but the tiny fan helps keep the heat sink cool.
They aren't going to be as reliable as an HID conversion or a simple LED bulb replacement. The cooling fans tend to fail early on and the LEDs will fail soon after.

Additionally, these LED headlights haven't been designed in a way that utilizes the housings properly. They don't give nearly as much usable light output as an HID conversion, and aren't 360-directional in most cases.

HIDs will still be brighter and provide more usable light output. Feel free to PM me if you would like more information about these LED low beam kits.

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
Diode Dynamics

Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sshole View Post
A plug and play LED "bulb" will not work well as a low beam replacement. What manufacturers such as Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, etc have done is developed an LED headlight system that works with both reflector and projector optics to create usable patches of light output. This is why they need more LEDs to create a similar output to either halogen or HID.

Replacing your halogen bulb with something like the following will lead to bad times
This LED bulb is a perfect example. Notice how it's flat and has only two large LEDs?

That's not going to project light onto the road very well

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
KI_ZN6

Talking

Quote:
We recommend using simple replacement LEDs for daytime running lights (DRLs) or go with an HID Kit if you want maximum brightness. A relay harness will be required to run an HID kit for the DRLs while the LED counterparts will be a simple plug and play.

Send us a PM or email us if you have any questions about lighting upgrades
Old 02-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #12
F1fletch

Drives: 13 FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I see what DD is getting at with his point, but I believe not all LED bulbs are created equal and there seem to be bulbs out there that would at least deliver the same lumens if not more than the stock halogens. I personally do not want HID's. My goal has always been full LED bulbs throughout the car. I won't argue that HID's are the best for the money and project light as well or better than anything. LED is moving quickly and I believe we are going to see some pretty good designs that will compete with HID as a plug n play option if not now, soon.

hid powerhouse seems to have a couple of good options for drl/hi- beam. Now if you guys can test and sell a couple of low beam options that would be great.
F1fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to F1fletch For This Useful Post:
KI_ZN6 (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #13
KI_ZN6

Quote:
I see what DD is getting at with his point, but I believe not all LED bulbs are created equal and there seem to be bulbs out there that would at least deliver the same lumens if not more than the stock halogens. I personally do not want HID's. My goal has always been full LED bulbs throughout the car. I won't argue that HID's are the best for the money and project light as well or better than anything. LED is moving quickly and I believe we are going to see some pretty good designs that will compete with HID as a plug n play option if not now, soon.

hid powerhouse seems to have a couple of good options for drl/hi- beam. Now if you guys can test and sell a couple of low beam options that would be great.

If you need a specific color output, please contact us via private message or email and we would be happy to assist you and provide you with the options that would best fit your needs and preferences
Old 02-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #14
Acree

Drives: 13 CSB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:

Thank you thank you thank you thank you... This response should be required reading for every single forum member before they're allowed to post.