follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
69gtojeff, CT86, gravitylover

Old 01-15-2020, 03:13 PM   #393
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezmoondo View Post
Glad to hear that you are fine with it. Unfortunately I am located in So Cal so Concord is a little far for me. Thank you for the information though.
Might be worth the trip to drop it off on a weekend and pick up the next week. You can then tell them no rush and to get it done correctly as you'll be giving them plenty of time to deal w/ it. Would be way less hassle than having a failure.

other option... sell your car out of state!
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:09 PM   #394
yfz450chuck

Drives: 14 FRS coils, intake, exhaust, tune
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow27 View Post
Vehicle Mileage: 42,756
Vehicle Make: Subaru
Mileage After Recall Performed: ~1600 (44,350)
Symptom(s): I was coming home from work and lifted off the gas as I approached my exit off ramp. Oil light flickered for a couple seconds, then came on solid followed immediately by CEL, followed by stall. Very bad knock on restart. Drove a few hundred feet to a safe area despite it sounding awful.
Failure: Spun bearing
State: WA
Is Dealership Offering Repair: Not even sort of, quoting $13k. Subaru won’t even authorize an engine tear down and want to charge labor if I want that, but seems unlikely they will change their mind even if I find anything. Oil pan was pulled and there were some threads in the pickup but no massive sealant blockage.

You would think for a company that bases their entire brand around people loving their cars they would be willing to entertain the idea of fixing a problem to keep a customer happy.
what dealer? i am taking mine in monday to vancouver toyota.
yfz450chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #395
Snow27

Drives: ‘13 BRZ Limited SWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfz450chuck View Post
what dealer? i am taking mine in monday to vancouver toyota.
Sorry for the slow response... As I have a Subaru I dealt exclusively with them, and the dealership which did the recall/refused to fix it was not one in the PDX area. I did hear from one of the techs at **** Hannah there was at least one issue with an FR-S that had the recall done at Vancouver Toyota, but I think it was not recent. I sincerely hope you haven’t had any issues.
Snow27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:38 PM   #396
Schmidte50

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Vehicle Mileage: 39,500
Vehicle Make: Scion FR-S
Mileage After Recall Performed: 34,800
Symptom(s): Rough idling, engine stalls, car shaking, knocking sounds, various check engine codes (P000B)
Failure: 2,000 miles after the recall, engine issues occur. It was stated that the short block needed to be replaced. This was paid for by the previous owner. 200 miles after the short block was replace the vehicle still had mechanical issues. It was then stated that the oil control valve needed to be replaced. This was also paid for by the previous owner. 4,000 miles after the recall, metal fragments are found in the oil. It is stated that the engine will need to be dissembled for inspection and that the car may need a new engine. All of this not being covered by the dealership.
State: Michigan
Is Dealership Offering Repair: No, all repairs after the recall and future repairs are subject to the owner. Vehicle is out of warranty.

Prior to the recall their is no mechanical issues listed in the car’s service history. After the recall numerous issues become present. Really hoping the Nunez v.s. Subaru case works in our favor. Dealerships are not recognizing that the recall has caused engine problems.

I am new here and added my scenario to the spreadsheet. Thank you for starting this forum. Cheers
Schmidte50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Schmidte50 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 08:53 PM   #397
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidte50 View Post
Vehicle Mileage: 39,500
Vehicle Make: Scion FR-S
Mileage After Recall Performed: 34,800
Symptom(s): Rough idling, engine stalls, car shaking, knocking sounds, various check engine codes (P000B)
Failure: 2,000 miles after the recall, engine issues occur. It was stated that the short block needed to be replaced. This was paid for by the previous owner. 200 miles after the short block was replace the vehicle still had mechanical issues. It was then stated that the oil control valve needed to be replaced. This was also paid for by the previous owner. 4,000 miles after the recall, metal fragments are found in the oil. It is stated that the engine will need to be dissembled for inspection and that the car may need a new engine. All of this not being covered by the dealership.
State: Michigan
Is Dealership Offering Repair: No, all repairs after the recall and future repairs are subject to the owner. Vehicle is out of warranty.

Prior to the recall their is no mechanical issues listed in the car’s service history. After the recall numerous issues become present. Really hoping the Nunez v.s. Subaru case works in our favor. Dealerships are not recognizing that the recall has caused engine problems.

I am new here and added my scenario to the spreadsheet. Thank you for starting this forum. Cheers
Welcome to our forum, Schmidte50 -

Too bad you couldn't have introduced yourself under more favorable circumstances -

Was the previous owner the dealership (or person) that you bought the car from?

Does your car have any major power modifications?

Come back.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:53 PM   #398
Schmidte50

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Welcome to our forum, Schmidte50 -

Too bad you couldn't have introduced yourself under more favorable circumstances -

Was the previous owner the dealership (or person) that you bought the car from?

Does your car have any major power modifications?

Come back.
I know :/

I purchased the vehicle from a “third party agent”. The vehicle was listed for sale by a Toyota dealership only 200 miles prior to the agent selling me the vehicle. They either ditched the car to the agent because of the corona shut down or they were aware that more issues were to come and they didn’t want to be affiliated.

Prior to the dealership/agent having the vehicle for only a few hundred miles, a separate individual owned the car. He was the one who took the car in for the recall and had to pay out of pocket for engine problems shortly after. Unfortunately there is still lingering issues that I am finding out about as the new owner.

I have the vehicles service history. It is completely stock, no mods. No issues listed at all prior to the recall. Nothing but routine maintenance and inspections.
humfrz (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 10:30 PM   #399
humfrz

Quote:
I know :/

I purchased the vehicle from a “third party agent”. The vehicle was listed for sale by a Toyota dealership only 200 miles prior to the agent selling me the vehicle. They either ditched the car to the agent because of the corona shut down or they were aware that more issues were to come and they didn’t want to be affiliated.

Prior to the dealership/agent having the vehicle for only a few hundred miles, a separate individual owned the car. He was the one who took the car in for the recall and had to pay out of pocket for engine problems shortly after. Unfortunately there is still lingering issues that I am finding out about as the new owner.

I have the vehicles service history. It is completely stock, no mods. No issues listed at all prior to the recall. Nothing but routine maintenance and inspections.
YIKES! That's quite an assorted history, lots of people have had their hands under the hood.

I reckon if it were my car, I'd take it into a different dealer and ask them to get it running better - then sell it.
Old 07-17-2020, 10:44 PM   #400
Schmidte50

Quote:
YIKES! That's quite an assorted history, lots of people have had their hands under the hood.

I reckon if it were my car, I'd take it into a different dealer and ask them to get it running better - then sell it.
I’m going to wait to see how the lawsuit on this recall turns out and continue to file complaints with Toyota/Subaru. I don’t see the lawsuit going well in Subaru’s favor. I’m fortunate enough to be working from home and have another car at the moment.
humfrz (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 12:02 AM   #401
humfrz

Quote:
I’m going to wait to see how the lawsuit on this recall turns out and continue to file complaints with Toyota/Subaru. I don’t see the lawsuit going well in Subaru’s favor. I’m fortunate enough to be working from home and have another car at the moment.
Well, "hang in there" -
Old 08-25-2020, 03:13 PM   #402
Ebrake79

Drives: 2013 Subaru brz white
Vehicle Mileage:63,xxx
Vehicle Make:subaru brz
Mileage After Recall Performed:les than 30 miles after recall
Symptom(s): sluggish and knocking and stalling
Failure: unknown at this time
State:Florida
Is Dealership Offering Repair:waiting on result
Ebrake79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:57 PM   #403
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Vehicle miles: 138k
Miles after recall work done: 16k and 13 months
It choked and started banging away 2 seconds later getting off an exit ramp at ~30mph - terrible rod knock
Dealer told me to go away so did SOA
Old 08-28-2020, 04:37 PM   #404
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Vehicle miles: 138k
Miles after recall work done: 16k and 13 months
It choked and started banging away 2 seconds later getting off an exit ramp at ~30mph - terrible rod knock
Dealer told me to go away so did SOA
Well, that just plain sucks -

Your experience just reinforces my decision NOT to have the recall work done on my 2013. I only drive it about 4,000 miles a year. If they screw up my engine, it may be 4 years until the damage messes it up.

So, what are you going to do?
Old 08-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #405
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well, that just plain sucks -

Your experience just reinforces my decision NOT to have the recall work done on my 2013. I only drive it about 4,000 miles a year. If they screw up my engine, it may be 4 years until the damage messes it up.

So, what are you going to do?
Well, I'm looking for a motor out of a rear end wreck because it will be easier and is a lot fewer labor hours than replacing the block. There are some cheap short blocks out there but the 15 (or more) labor hours is cost prohibitive and the potential for screwing up the rebuild has me worried. If the Subaru engine tech can screw it up what's to say someone else won't also then I'm back in the same position again at some point. I have a guy that's absolutely confident he can get it right though so maybe...

I'm not sure how to go about finding the engine I need. I figure I have a few weeks to figure it out because the insurance is paid through to November anyway so I have a little bit of time. I'm not against the idea of buying a complete car that's wrecked and pulling the motor myself, even though I've never done anything like that, if I can find one cheap enough. Then I can send the remaining hulk off to a recycler and make a few bucks off parting it out too. It's all going to be a learning experience. The other option is selling it off cheap and just getting out of it and moving on which would be the least financially painful, there are some folks in the area that want it for a track car build.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:04 PM   #406
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Well, I'm looking for a motor out of a rear end wreck because it will be easier and is a lot fewer labor hours than replacing the block. There are some cheap short blocks out there but the 15 (or more) labor hours is cost prohibitive and the potential for screwing up the rebuild has me worried. If the Subaru engine tech can screw it up what's to say someone else won't also then I'm back in the same position again at some point. I have a guy that's absolutely confident he can get it right though so maybe...

I'm not sure how to go about finding the engine I need. I figure I have a few weeks to figure it out because the insurance is paid through to November anyway so I have a little bit of time. I'm not against the idea of buying a complete car that's wrecked and pulling the motor myself, even though I've never done anything like that, if I can find one cheap enough. Then I can send the remaining hulk off to a recycler and make a few bucks off parting it out too. It's all going to be a learning experience. The other option is selling it off cheap and just getting out of it and moving on which would be the least financially painful, there are some folks in the area that want it for a track car build.
IMHO, in your situation, that would be your best option.

Good luck!

Tags
fa20, failure, recall, spun bearing, subaru, toyota, valve spring