follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #1
majixmatrix
BRZ Wannabee

Drives: 2013 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Vacuum line & coolant hoses for turbo

I just picked up a used JDL turbo kit, but also recently installed a Forester XT oil cooler which utilizes the stock throttle body coolant loop. Most people use this for their turbo coolant lines; can I route the turbo coolant & oil cooler in parallel or series with each other, and if so which would be ideal?

Also, besides the intake tube & throttle body, what do people use as a good source of vacuum for the brake booster? I know that the brake booster has a check valve but it doesn't make sense to me to reference the throttle body as it's not always under vacuum. Does the brake booster need constant vacuum?

Finally, where do most people tap in for the oil lines for the turbo?

Thanks!!
majixmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:00 PM   #2
WORKS

Drives: WORKS CARB Legal Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm not familiar with their routing, but we route our line where the hose that came from the side of the throttle body and goes to the line on the driver's rear of the engine. This shouldn't interfere with your oil cooler modification if you used the ports on the front of the throttle body.

The brake booster does not need constant vacuum. You aren't on throttle and the brakes very much. When you are fine input would be desired and the manual braking offered without the booster under vacuum is ideal, at least for me!
WORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by majixmatrix View Post
I just picked up a used JDL turbo kit, but also recently installed a Forester XT oil cooler which utilizes the stock throttle body coolant loop. Most people use this for their turbo coolant lines; can I route the turbo coolant & oil cooler in parallel or series with each other, and if so which would be ideal?

Also, besides the intake tube & throttle body, what do people use as a good source of vacuum for the brake booster? I know that the brake booster has a check valve but it doesn't make sense to me to reference the throttle body as it's not always under vacuum. Does the brake booster need constant vacuum?

Finally, where do most people tap in for the oil lines for the turbo?

Thanks!!

I'm not familiar with the Forester XT Oil Cooler but when I did some research months ago, isn't it more of an "oil warmer" than a cooler? Meaning it'll get your oil temperatures up to operating temperatures faster.

Brake Booster should be fine stock. I used that line to tap into for Boost Gauge and BOV.

Oil Line for turbo is the oil pressure. It's under the oil filter, using a T-Tap, or if you don't want to T-Tap, remove the Oil Pressure Light there (it's just a dummy indicator light on your dash)
Old 01-13-2020, 01:02 PM   #4
WORKS

Drives: WORKS CARB Legal Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
I'm not familiar with the Forester XT Oil Cooler but when I did some research months ago, isn't it more of an "oil warmer" than a cooler? Meaning it'll get your oil temperatures up to operating temperatures faster.

Brake Booster should be fine stock. I used that line to tap into for Boost Gauge and BOV.

Oil Line for turbo is the oil pressure. It's under the oil filter, using a T-Tap, or if you don't want to T-Tap, remove the Oil Pressure Light there (it's just a dummy indicator light on your dash)
It is an oil warmer and a cooler. It definitely warms the oil up quicker as the coolant temp rises much faster than the oil temperature. Also, as the coolant circulates around the oil, it cools it as the coolant temperature is lower than the oil temperature you would see on track. We've done countless track days with our and our oil temps are always within ideal operating range.
WORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:20 PM   #5
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have the same setup, if you are still stuck on this PM me with your email or contact info and I can try and send you a video or some pictures of how I have mine plumbed. But the long and short of it is I have it as follows;

[Coolant comes off the top of the block>>>>coolant inlet of center chra section>>>>>coolant outlet of center chra section>>>>barb of the XT cooler that is located further towards the driver side>>>>exits XT cooler back into the throttle body barb].
majixmatrix (01-14-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 01:27 PM   #6
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I am not sure if having the cooler plumbed after the turbo is better suited than pre-turbo...I just plumbed mine identical to two people I spoke with on different FB groups that had successfully done theirs that way for some time. I didn't want to be a gineau pig, and I do not have coolant temp issues with just a street driven car in FL climate.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:43 AM   #7
majixmatrix
BRZ Wannabee

Drives: 2013 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the input everybody! I have a better understanding of how I'm going to route the brake booster vacuum line and coolant line. Still a bit iffy on the oil line but I'll figure it out
majixmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, jdl auto design, oil, turbo, vacuum