follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 01:46 AM   #1
jau

Drives: 2013 frs raven
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post T1R B52 Street and Track Coilover Review

Hi guys and girls, I have installed T1R B52 Coilover with Cusco control arm two days ago. (Big thanks to Ben and Jacky in A&J Racing) Today I am writing a review of this coilover.

Description
T1R offers 44mm piston MONOTUBE tube design for maximum dampening ranges for street and track. T1R also offers camber, 30 way rebound adjustable, ride height/stroke and spring preload adjustable for wide range suspension setting and tuning. Made out of CNC machined chromoly steel (with rust-proof coating) built for heat dissiapation and to reduce unsprung weight. Comes with front pillowball uppermount , adjust wrenches and necessicity hardware for installation. SAE9254 Cold forming springs are equipped with the damper kit.

Why T1R?
-It is track proven coilover at low cost
-It remains the comfort for DD
-It is rebuild able
-wide range of height adjustment

My Set up
-custom spring rate, 10k all around
-custom alignment with corner balanced
-ride height about 1 finger gap all around
-Cusco rear lower control arm

First impression:

Before installing the coilover, I was running with my OEM suspension and I really like the stiffness of the oem shocks, it gives me a sporty ride but also remain the comfort for DD.

After installing the T1R B52 coilover with the cusco lower control arm, the steering response is surprisingly good comparing to the oem suspension. Also the steering becomes very sensitive as i can feel every bump on the road, which i like it very much. Currently my rebound is at the softest setting for running in the coils, it is slightly softer than the oem shocks. I will be switching to a stiffer setting once I run in my new coils.

I will be going on a track event in the beginning of august, I will be keep you guys update of my feedback with the T1R B52 coilover on a track :happy0180:

The Following User Says Thank You to jau For This Useful Post:
Dezoris (09-01-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 02:44 AM   #2
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Cool Ben is a good guy, just too busy sometimes it seems. I am very suprised at your choice of spring rates, you must really like to feel everything that is friken stiff man!

WHO is actual maker of the T1R anyhow?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
jau

The T1R products are made by AJR
Old 07-12-2013, 03:54 AM   #4
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,339 Times in 4,125 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jau View Post
The T1R products are made by AJR
AJRacing do not make their own coilovers/struts. One can see "MAX" in the pic so I am guessing they are Powered by MAX. It is quite possible the valving is to AJR's specifications though.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
jau

Update:
So I went to the Ridge Motorsport Park with my T1R B52 Coilover. I am using Toyo R888 tires.

In the morning, I was figuring out the lines and braking zone as I am new to this car. I found that the frs has a hard time to pass any car in the passing zone but I loved the way it handles on every corner. My overall impression of the T1R coilover with the alignment set up is very well balanced and neutral on the track. The car does not have too much under or oversteer which i like it very much.

At the end of the day, my best lap time is 2:04 at the ridge, which is 2 seconds faster than my previous car (Acura TSX). I was very impressed how well this car did on the track with my current setup. I will definitely bring my frs back on a track again someday this year.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to jau For This Useful Post:
junior_reyez (02-11-2014)
Old 08-28-2013, 03:23 AM   #6
Anorexic 86
Trim the Fat & add Boost

Drives: sometimes I fly
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
^^^Function and form^^^

Look at that contact patch!

Bravo

Wheel (size/offset) and tire specs?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
jau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorexic 86 View Post
^^^Function and form^^^

Look at that contact patch!

Bravo

Wheel (size/offset) and tire specs?
Thanks

I am running 18 x 9.5 +40 with 255 35 18 tires
Old 08-30-2013, 04:49 AM   #8
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
So to fit those wheels on your car how low are you and what were your final front and back camber and toe settings?

Also any rubbing and did you have to roll the fenders?
Old 08-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Cool Ben is a good guy, just too busy sometimes it seems. I am very suprised at your choice of spring rates, you must really like to feel everything that is friken stiff man!

WHO is actual maker of the T1R anyhow?
These are just rebranded, marked up price Megan (or some other cheap Taiwanese brand, I can't remember) coilovers.

Because titanium.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:57 AM   #10
jau

Quote:
So to fit those wheels on your car how low are you and what were your final front and back camber and toe settings?

Also any rubbing and did you have to roll the fenders?
I am running about 1 finger gap all around, front camber -3 and rear -2.2, toe 0 front and rear.

I did not do any fender work, front doesn't have any issue. But It was rubbing the rear bumper tab in the beginning, but no more rubbing after the track day, lol. the tire shaved off part of the bumper tab and rear bumper still holding strong.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:05 AM   #11
jau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
These are just rebranded, marked up price Megan (or some other cheap Taiwanese brand, I can't remember) coilovers.
It is possible they manufactured the coilovers in Taiwan. But they are pretty good coilovers in my opinion, and it does the job on the track.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
-3 up front wow was that to ensure to clear or avoid rubbing issues up front or just personal preference? How does it handle on street in this setup?
Old 09-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #13
jau

Quote:
-3 up front wow was that to ensure to clear or avoid rubbing issues up front or just personal preference? How does it handle on street in this setup?
-3 up front wasnt the purpose to avoid rubbing issues, it was personal preference for track set up .

it handles great on a street, it doesnt have much under or over steer like i was on the track, turn in is still very sharp even with alot wider tires. But the car does hydroplane quite often in the rain coz of the r compound tires and the -3 camber
Old 09-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jau View Post
It is possible they manufactured the coilovers in Taiwan. But they are pretty good coilovers in my opinion, and it does the job on the track.
Your 1st post 'opinion' here is an advertisement.

AJR doesn't make these, they pick whatever is cheap off of a site like Alibaba.com and put their name on them. They posted up here a while ago with some coilovers for this car that were just Impreza ones, because they fit. They had screwed up spring rates and tried to explain that it didn't matter because the struts were inverted and made the rate less, which is an unbelievably stupid and ignorant statement.

They also were trying to get away without being a paying sponsor when they did it.

So if AJR is now buying a real 86 design for Bor Chong or Megan or K-Sport and relabelled them, that's a tiny improvement. If you want a cheap coilover, skip these T1R and save money by buying straight from the Taiwanese manufacturers.

Because titanium.

Closed Thread