follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Exage
GL 86!

Drives: Maybe FR-S... maybe not
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Testing a Rebuilt Engine

[u2b]asaiCp2kz0U[/u2b]

A little movie I shot on my 3gs Iphone. It's easier from me to hold the phone upright instead of sideways with one hand so too bad. At about 0:26 a nut came off of the coolant gauge holding bracket and scared my shop partner hahah.

Decided to post this because someone here might find it interesting, and to show that I'm not some mindless posting robot.

The engine is a late 1980s' Cummins N14M STC: 14L (855cid), turbocharged (Holset HX60), 4-stroke, 24 valve, strait-six diesel engine producing 440bhp @1800rpm, max torque is not stated but it's estimated around 1280lb-ft. Idle at 700rpm, high idle (gas term redline) at 2300rpm.

Background: Engine was rebuilt as part of the first year of a post secondary course. She didn't really work when we (I work with a classmate) got her. Full fuel was a rolling 600-400rpm with white smoke out the stack and instantly died at idle. She had done this for 2 previous years.

It was torn down until only the block, crankshaft/mains, flywheel, flywheel housing and rear crankshaft seal were left on the engine cart. Crankshaft alone weighs 300lb. so you can understand why we didn't remove it. Internal components were measured and the engine was re-assembled (correctly I might add).

This video is of our test run of her hitting rpm specs with minor exhaust and front gear cover oil leaks. The major problems of it's previous performance were: Incorrectly timed camshaft and no O-rings on fuel injectors 2 and 3 with incorrect O-rings on the rest of the fuel injectors.

Hope you enjoyed this, and if you have any questions... feel free! I have a bunch of pictures of her apart if you're interested!
Exage is offline   Reply With Quote