follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do you worry about scratches under the front bumper?

I have one, but its not visible; but it drives me crazy. Am I being OCD? Should I just let it go, or cover it up when I get home? I have touch up paint.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
MVJ1975
Automatic Hooligan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I pulled too far into a parking spot the week after I got the car and scratched up the bottom of the bumper. It annoyed me for a bit, but out of sight, out of mind.

I don't pull all the way forward in spots now. The car's small enough that you don't need to.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
Kimsey47

Drives: 2016 STI DGM
Thanked 1,460 Times in 662 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake View Post
I have one, but its not visible; but it drives me crazy. Am I being OCD? Should I just let it go, or cover it up when I get home? I have touch up paint.
Dude, I'm in the same boat... I was SUPER pissed to get that blimish on my car when it happened! I've learned to live with it though since it isn't visible! I'm sure if I got it repainted I'd be scratching it again. If I did anything I'd probably just try putting something else protective but it probably wouldn't help...
Old 10-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
jm1681

Drives: MKVI VW GTI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Where I live, it's impossible NOT to scrape under your bumper. I've hit twice so far, and as someone said, out of sight out of mind.

They're WAY the hell under there, and I'm not bringing my car to shows; I don't care.
jm1681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
not only is my lower bumper scraped but ive already got decent scratches from hitting/swallowing pylons

zero fucks given

danthedirt (10-18-2012), ExWhyZer0 (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
jstn

Drives: '15 Vortech Supercharged
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Meh. I have the same scratch, you can't even see it. Autocross is probably going to make it a little bit janky under there anyway eventually. I just walk through the grid and count all the cars with zip-tied front lips and cracked fender liners and then I don't feel so bad about it.
jstn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jstn For This Useful Post:
Tomzilla (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
ExWhyZer0

Drives: Whiteout FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Ha at first I thought I stumbled into the twilight zone cause this has been my main concern since yesterday -_-.
ExWhyZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
SkitterSkotter

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I did the same thing last week, I was raging so hard about it because I've tried to keep my car in good condition. It sucks, but as states, it's out of sight and out of mind. Certainly I'm not happy about it, but it's whatever. I think I'm going to save up and get a carbon lip to cover up any imperfections my bumper has at the moment. Get mad about it but use it as a lesson not to do it again.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
Meh. I have the same scratch, you can't even see it. Autocross is probably going to make it a little bit janky under there anyway eventually. I just walk through the grid and count all the cars with zip-tied front lips and cracked fender liners and then I don't feel so bad about it.
At the autocross events here in Huntsville many of the S2000 owners put blue masking tape around the corners of thier bumpers to minimize those types of chips. I'm not really sure of how successful that is but I'm likely to try it at my next event.

As far as curbs go... I'm more afraid of snagging under the bumper and pulling loose the bolts that hold on the air dam. (I did this in my BMW) Because of this I park a minimum of six inches away from curbs when pulling in forward.

Scott
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
At the autocross events here in Huntsville many of the S2000 owners put blue masking tape around the corners of thier bumpers to minimize those types of chips. I'm not really sure of how successful that is but I'm likely to try it at my next event.

As far as curbs go... I'm more afraid of snagging under the bumper and pulling loose the bolts that hold on the air dam. (I did this in my BMW) Because of this I park a minimum of six inches away from curbs when pulling in forward.

Scott
it's super effective, the majority of Pylon damage is from the fact that 99% of the pylons are dirty as fuck, full of dust and grime that scrapes your paint whenever they make contact.

the other problem is that when you side-swipe a pylon at a high enough speed you get the rubber burn marks that have a permanent effect on your paint.

i'm an idiot that's been forgetting his masking tape when i went out, and i'm not a big enough asshole to borrow someone's tape to use on an entire bumper, so i took the bullet and got some scratches.
naikaidriver (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
naikaidriver

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Asphalt
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
it's super effective, the majority of Pylon damage is from the fact that 99% of the pylons are dirty as fuck, full of dust and grime that scrapes your paint whenever they make contact.

the other problem is that when you side-swipe a pylon at a high enough speed you get the rubber burn marks that have a permanent effect on your paint.

i'm an idiot that's been forgetting his masking tape when i went out, and i'm not a big enough asshole to borrow someone's tape to use on an entire bumper, so i took the bullet and got some scratches.
Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely be using it then on my next outing!

Scott
naikaidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake View Post
If you've already got the touch up paint, why wouldn't you cover up the scratch?

On a related note, I pulled into a parking lot over the weekend and forgot there was a concrete bar at the front of the space. Luckily the lip just barely cleared, but I would have been upset if I had scratched it.
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #13
luscious

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
meh. I don't care. I knew going in it was bound to happen...as well as the plethora of little nicks and scratches that are inbound over the years.

It's my daily driver.....it's just going to happen. Fretting about it would be a colossal waste of energy.
luscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely be using it then on my next outing!

Scott
keep in mind ONE thing though, make sure your bumper is initially clean and free of dirst/dust

otherwise you'll be scrubbing the dirt into the paint when you apply the masking tape making it only worse

same goes for applying car numbers, either make sure your car is clean/waxed or put your numbers on your window