follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2018, 08:30 AM   #2185
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Very late response but, it's also the area or jurisdiction in which the car is located.

In my area, a few teens under the age of 16 drove their parents shelby (unlicensed kids mind you) flipped it over into someones yard and sadly all four of them passed away. It really effected the community negatively, there were of course vigils and services and it was sad for everyone involved. The local high school where the kids went even had a memorial made for them. The father who the car was registered to was charged with a bunch of things and is spending some jail time now due to the outcry.

Police and "moms" have have taken issue with sports cars in my area now. In fact a few moms took issue with a legal car show that had a permit and had a very large turnout every year. It takes place in the main street into town the same time every year and they tried very hard to get it banned because it may entice young people to drive aggressively. In the end, the people in charge of the car show made a concession and shortened the length of the show.

Several of my friends and I have been pulled over in sports cars several times on separate occasions since then, every time asking for license insurance, registration and leaving with no ticket and the officer saying he was either checking safety equipment in the car or some other "reason". It may very well be because the cars draw attention to themselves, but it never used to happen this frequently.

I truly believe some jurisdictions target the car community because where they go there are a few bad eggs that have ruined it for literally everyone. We haven't really taken issue with it because we can see why they do it after what happened. But I can assure you before that event we had 0 issues with meet ups and cruising around together, in fact several times we were encouraged to meet up in front of local shopping centers. Imho it's definitely based on police and communities perception of the car community.....
As with any subject it is tagged with "your experience may vary". I was speaking out against the repeated statements and misconception that "ALL sporty cars" attract police attention ALL the time".
Your example actually supports what I was saying since all the attention that the cars received in your area was the direct result of one incident and how the car was driven. The reason you stated for them attempting to cancel the show was not that there would be bright coloured or loud cars there but because "it may entice young people to drive aggressively".
Dadhawk (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #2186
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
someone out there in a Grand Caravan is going to put me in my place until the road stops going straight, lol.
In regards to the first statement I agree with you. Age plays a big factor as well. I mostly get challenged at lights. Still happens on the highway but there it's the little tiny ones that people do.. for example the "oh look at the guy putting his signal to merge in front of me let me just see if my minivan is fast enough to close the gap".

Spoiler alert... it's not.

Still unsure why everyone thinks any minivan is even close to a twin straight line. If you are getting dusted by a minivan with an automatic transition in your tiny light manual trans twin.... It's not the car I promise. (*not you specifically @Overdrive.... just in general as I have heard this many times.)
Old 08-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #2187
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbaker View Post
Driving back from my lunch break today on a clear stretch of highway, some dude on a Yamaha FZ (couldn't tell the engine size, but definitely an 07 or 09) rode up close behind me, so I moved into the right lane to let him pass. He then paced me and pointed forward to get me to race. There was nobody else around, so I figured why not have a little fun. Downshifted to 5th with a rev match to let him know I was game, then downshifted to fourth and away we went. Kept up with him for the most part, but I think I was just a little ballsier than he was. He would've won in an actual serious race, I'm sure. Still, a bit of mid-day fun to break up the monotony of work.
That is the definition of street racing.

Quote:
Lol isn't the whole point of this thread to share stories about when people asked you to race? Also, what do you think is gonna happen, a cop is gonna read this and give me a ticket? Calm down, deputy.

No. The point of this thread is that most of us are smart enough to not fall for the challenges. Apparently some are not that bright.

Quote:
That's the sub-forum title, not the thread title, but I can see how you would be confused. The thread title is ""Come Race Me Bro" Encounters", which is exactly what I posted about. If you're that upset about it, tell the mods to move this thread, which is entirely about street racing or at the very least people attempting to get you to street race, to Off-Topic or whichever sub-forum will make you feel better.
That sub section title applies to all threads in the sub section so it is relevant. Once again you missed the point that this is an ANTI street racing topic.
Street racing is not what the movies make it. I don't give a flying fuck if street racing drivers kill themselves since it was their call but most of the casualties of this activity are not the drivers. The victims are the innocent families in the minivan that get hit at high speed or the women and children minding their own business on the sidewalk that get creamed by out of control cars. You want to talk about your petty victories at street racing take it to Facebook where the other self indulgent teens hangout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoNat View Post
In regards to the first statement I agree with you. Age plays a big factor as well. I mostly get challenged at lights. Still happens on the highway but there it's the little tiny ones that people do.. for example the "oh look at the guy putting his signal to merge in front of me let me just see if my minivan is fast enough to close the gap".

Spoiler alert... it's not.

Still unsure why everyone thinks any minivan is even close to a twin straight line. If you are getting dusted by a minivan with an automatic transition in your tiny light manual trans twin.... It's not the car I promise. (*not you specifically @Overdrive.... just in general as I have heard this many times.)
Meh. That shit goes on all the time no matter what you drive and has zero to do with us driving sports cars. I still strongly believe that most of the "race me" scenarios described on here are people just thinking bad or aggressive driving is a challenge somehow. Every car that whips up beside you, slows down to take a look and then takes off again is not challenging you to a race.
It is the person thinking that they are being challenged that are getting the ego boost not the alleged challengers.
MuseChaser (08-27-2018), Spuds (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #2188
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
next time someone calls be "Bro" or "Chief" or any other stupid title that doesn't apply to me I will roundhouse kick them
Old 08-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #2189
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
next time someone calls be "Bro" or "Chief" or any other stupid title that doesn't apply to me I will roundhouse kick them
Whatever you say bro...
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #2190
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
That is the definition of street racing.
I never said it wasn't...

Quote:
No. The point of this thread is that most of us are smart enough to not fall for the challenges. Apparently some are not that bright.

That sub section title applies to all threads in the sub section so it is relevant. Once again you missed the point that this is an ANTI street racing topic.
I'm not even arguing that my post didn't violate the "no street racing" rule. My point is more that there are tons of others in this thread basically admitting to the same thing. The whole thread has people admitting to street racing. To call this an "anti-street racing" thread is a bit revisionist if you ask me lol. If the mods want to ban me for my post, fine I'll accept that even if I think its a bit uptight. I would just think the rule would enforced equally to all others in this thread who have also admitted to accepting challenges. I don't see this level of backlash against StraightOuttaCanadaEh when he essentially did the same thing last month lol.

Quote:
Street racing is not what the movies make it. I don't give a flying fuck if street racing drivers kill themselves since it was their call but most of the casualties of this activity are not the drivers. The victims are the innocent families in the minivan that get hit at high speed or the women and children minding their own business on the sidewalk that get creamed by out of control cars. You want to talk about your petty victories at street racing take it to Facebook where the other self indulgent teens hangout.
I wasn't trying to brag about a victory lol. All I said was that I kept up with the biker that challenged me, which surprised me. I figured he would just pull away from me, and he didn't. At the end of the day, I was just sharing a story about getting challenged to a race in a thread about sharing stories about getting challenged to a race.

And you can save me the sob stories about the victims of street racing lol. I think you're under the impression that I'm advocating street racing or arguing that what I was doing wasn't stupid or dangerous, and that simply isn't the case. Granted, I do believe that a highway pull like that with nobody else around, in a non-residential area is basically harmless to anyone but myself and the dude that challenged me, but I'm not deluded into thinking I wasn't really street racing or anything like that.

For the third time, calm down, deputy.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #2191
Tcoat

Quote:
Driving back from my lunch break today on a clear stretch of highway, some dude on a Yamaha FZ (couldn't tell the engine size, but definitely an 07 or 09) rode up close behind me, so I moved into the right lane to let him pass. He then paced me and pointed forward to get me to race. There was nobody else around, so I figured why not have a little fun. Downshifted to 5th with a rev match to let him know I was game, then downshifted to fourth and away we went. Kept up with him for the most part, but I think I was just a little ballsier than he was. He would've won in an actual serious race, I'm sure. Still, a bit of mid-day fun to break up the monotony of work.
Quote:
I never said it wasn't...

I'm not even arguing that my post didn't violate the "no street racing" rule. My point is more that there are tons of others in this thread basically admitting to the same thing. The whole thread has people admitting to street racing. To call this an "anti-street racing" thread is a bit revisionist if you ask me lol. If the mods want to ban me for my post, fine I'll accept that even if I think its a bit uptight. I would just think the rule would enforced equally to all others in this thread who have also admitted to accepting challenges. I don't see this level of backlash against StraightOuttaCanadaEh when he essentially did the same thing last month lol.

I wasn't trying to brag about a victory lol. All I said was that I kept up with the biker that challenged me, which surprised me. I figured he would just pull away from me, and he didn't. At the end of the day, I was just sharing a story about getting challenged to a race in a thread about sharing stories about getting challenged to a race.

And you can save me the sob stories about the victims of street racing lol. I think you're under the impression that I'm advocating street racing or arguing that what I was doing wasn't stupid or dangerous, and that simply isn't the case. Granted, I do believe that a highway pull like that with nobody else around, in a non-residential area is basically harmless to anyone but myself and the dude that challenged me, but I'm not deluded into thinking I wasn't really street racing or anything like that.

For the third time, calm down, deputy.
Ya, sure, it is all just a big misunderstanding.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #2192
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Quote:
Ya, sure, it is all just a big misunderstanding.
So, letting the guy know I accepted his challenge, and then coming up with an explanation for why he didn't pull away from me when his bike is much faster than my car qualifies as "bragging about a petty victory"? Lol, okay dude. Whatever you say.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #2193
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoNat View Post
Most modern minivans are easily-capable of consistent 6-ish (or less) second 0-100 (62mph for you Yanks) runs, with close to 300hp on tap. For a lightweight momentum car like the Toyobaru, you'd need to do some extreme clutch abuse to make that happen (and even then, it'd be driver-dependent).
Don't underestimate either the van in a straightline (or the foolishness of the driver in the curves).
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #2194
Tcoat

Quote:
So, letting the guy know I accepted his challenge, and then coming up with an explanation for why he didn't pull away from me when his bike is much faster than my car qualifies as "bragging about a petty victory"? Lol, okay dude. Whatever you say.
Meh

fic·tion
ˈfikSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: fiction
  1. literature in the form of prose, especially short stories and novels, that describes imaginary events and people.

• invention or fabrication as opposed to fact.
      plural noun: fictions
      "he dismissed the allegation as absolute fiction"
      synonyms:fabrication, invention, lies, fibs, untruth, falsehood, fantasy, nonsense "the president dismissed the allegation as absolute fiction"

antonyms:fact

• a belief or statement that is false, but that is often held to be true because it is expedient to do so.
      "the notion of that country being a democracy is a polite fiction"

Old 08-08-2018, 12:00 PM   #2195
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
Most modern minivans are easily-capable of consistent 6-ish (or less) second 0-100 (62mph for you Yanks) runs, with close to 300hp on tap. For a lightweight momentum car like the Toyobaru, you'd need to do some extreme clutch abuse to make that happen (and even then, it'd be driver-dependent).
Don't underestimate either the van in a straightline (or the foolishness of the driver in the curves).
Not sure where this myth of the common sub 7 minivan came from but there are very very few that can even touch 7 much less under it.

https://www.zeroto60times.com/body-style/van/
Old 08-08-2018, 12:07 PM   #2196
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Quote:
Meh

fic·tion
ˈfikSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: fiction
  1. literature in the form of prose, especially short stories and novels, that describes imaginary events and people.
    • invention or fabrication as opposed to fact.
      plural noun: fictions
      "he dismissed the allegation as absolute fiction"
      synonyms:fabrication, invention, lies, fibs, untruth, falsehood, fantasy, nonsense "the president dismissed the allegation as absolute fiction"

antonyms:fact
    • a belief or statement that is false, but that is often held to be true because it is expedient to do so.
      "the notion of that country being a democracy is a polite fiction"
No point in arguing with you if you're just gonna assume I'm lying any time you disagree lol.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #2197
Tcoat

Quote:
No point in arguing with you if you're just gonna assume I'm lying any time you disagree lol.
The bike would have smoked you.
End of real story.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #2198
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Quote:
The bike would have smoked you.
End of real story.
Ahh, I see, you're just accusing me lying because I said I kept up, gotcha. I'm not gonna waste my time trying to convince you that, "No really, I won, I swear!" lol. That isn't why I posted what I did. I wasn't trying to brag, I was just sharing a story about accepting the "Come Race Me Bro" encounter I had. You can choose to believe me, and we can argue about whether or not I should've posted the story, or you can choose to believe that I'm some insecure teenager looking to start a d*ck waving contest about beating a motorcycle lol.

Last edited by qcbaker; 08-09-2018 at 12:38 PM.