follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-23-2015, 01:47 AM   #155
anewprelusion

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
That's false. I have the reds for almost 3 years now, and they're not melting at all. Any signs of melting would show through when the lamps are lit up... Regardless if the lens are coloured or clear...

That's just a stupid excuse from the seller...
Yeah, I didn't buy that story either. He gave me the choice of replacing them with clears or reds. Since that was my last replacement pair, I opted for the reds. It's a shame, I do like the clears more.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
anewprelusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #156
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Anybody have condensation issues with their red TOM'S? I've had my set for a little over a year now and the passenger side housing just started developing condensation. I've been looking for a direct contact for TOM'S to try to get them fixed under manufacturer warranty but have been unsuccessful.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:12 AM   #157
HRTROB

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTROB View Post
I just checked mine, no signs of any melting. I've had my clear USDM Tom's since March 2014. Then again, I've only driven the car 4,000km (2,500 miles) since that time. The car is also garage kept, so no sun exposure.

I'll bring my infrared temp gun the next time I use the car at night and take some readings on the spot where it melts.
Damn, my clear Tom's are starting to melt on the same spot as the others. I moved to a new house last month which coincidentally, has a garage that has the rear of my car exposed to direct sunlight. Last night I removed one of the Tom's and hooked it up to a power supply. Starting temperature according to my temp gun on the melted spot was 30C. After 4 hours of being lit up it was a steady 35C on the melted spot. This was with tail, brake and turn signals lit up. Definitely nowhere near hot enough to burn the plastic. I'm guessing it's the sunlight that's causing the problem on the clears, and the red lens on the red Tom's are probably blocking enough of the UV rays.

So today I tinted the top part of the tails with some leftover 3M Crystalline clear tint, to test my hypothesis that it's the sunlight causing the melting. Will report back my findings

HRTROB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HRTROB For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-01-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 07:39 AM   #158
veck

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTROB View Post
Damn, my clear Tom's are starting to melt on the same spot as the others. I moved to a new house last month which coincidentally, has a garage that has the rear of my car exposed to direct sunlight. Last night I removed one of the Tom's and hooked it up to a power supply. Starting temperature according to my temp gun on the melted spot was 30C. After 4 hours of being lit up it was a steady 35C on the melted spot. This was with tail, brake and turn signals lit up. Definitely nowhere near hot enough to burn the plastic. I'm guessing it's the sunlight that's causing the problem on the clears, and the red lens on the red Tom's are probably blocking enough of the UV rays.

So today I tinted the top part of the tails with some leftover 3M Crystalline clear tint, to test my hypothesis that it's the sunlight causing the melting. Will report back my findings

I'll try this when my new set arrives. I had mine replaced twice under warranty in less than a year. They're not pretty good with warranty tho. You have to send them your tail lights before they send you a new one or else you have to deposit $500 for them to ship the new one first. Hopefully tinting it is enough to protect it from melting. They gave me a choice to get the red one but I believe that color wont match the hyperblue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
veck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:02 PM   #159
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
@veck @HRTROB well it's been about a month since both of you applied the heat guard tint to your lights... any signs of improvement?

I've had my clears installed for almost a week now and I store my car outside, no signs of melting yet but now I'm extremely paranoid. I could easily get my hands on some leftover 3M crystalline tint if that's the solution.

It's been raining in Norcal for the last 2 weeks straight, over 10" of rain. Despite that I don't see any condensation in my tails yet, fingers crossed.

Last edited by treminaor; 03-14-2016 at 05:24 PM.
treminaor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:12 PM   #160
kidgogeta

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
my toms on passenger side also have condensation built up
kidgogeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:28 AM   #161
Corsus

Drives: Halo 2016 6MT
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@veck @HRTROB any update on whether the tint is working?
Corsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:39 PM   #162
veck

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
@Corsus I didn't do it on mine so mines melted already in just 2 months. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
veck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:05 AM   #163
Rougenite

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mine melted bad enough to let rain fill it up...
Rougenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:32 PM   #164
Corsus

Drives: Halo 2016 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rougenite View Post
Mine melted bad enough to let rain fill it up...
Got any pictures?
Corsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:03 AM   #165
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly_Don View Post
When I bought my JDM red's here in Aus in September, the vendor told me that the clears weren't even being manufactured any more. Regardless of whether or not this is correct, the couple of places that I talked to weren't selling JDM clears at all any more due to the issues.

Make what you want of that but it definitely sounds like it's not just the US ones.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

I believe this is now true, the sites I normally purchase from no longer have it because I was looking into new tails because I'm getting bored with the stock ones now
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*

Last edited by FRSBRZGT86FAN; 04-01-2016 at 01:56 AM.
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:48 AM   #166
shodan

Drives: MY15 Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I believe this is now true, the sites I normally purchase from no longer have it.
Can confirm here too (australia). Tempted to ask one of the suppliers what's up.

What's amusing is, one of the toyota 86 product catalogues I got from the Toyopet stores in Japan had a large section in the back promoting only TOMS stuff. Wonder if that arrangements changed now
shodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:57 AM   #167
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I believe this is now true, the sites I normally purchase from no longer have it.
I ordered mine a month ago and they came just fine from whatever supplier they have in the US. Ordered through PhasetekSport.
treminaor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:59 AM   #168
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shodan View Post
Can confirm here too (australia). Tempted to ask one of the suppliers what's up.

What's amusing is, one of the toyota 86 product catalogues I got from the Toyopet stores in Japan had a large section in the back promoting only TOMS stuff. Wonder if that arrangements changed now

Well I found 3 out of 6 sites that still has them:
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/toms...ghts-1262.html

http://www.modbargains.com/toms-tail...-brz-gt-86.htm

http://www.phasteksport.com/2013-Sci...ghts-clear.htm

The rest simply say "out of stock" or currently unavailable.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote