follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2019, 02:23 AM   #43
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Yup or get something 'in between' that scratches your itches. It's a bit of a moving target for me - my FR-S is certainly a compromise car, but you could argue just about every car is a sort of compromise. I'd look to an M3 as a possible step up that can 'do it all', but then again I'd consider a 997.1 + 100 series land cruiser + trailer with shifter kart attached Wife may protest about too many cars in the driveway though.

But the moving target part is - I still care about running costs, and I can't beat the combination of affordability, fun, and flexibility the FR-S brings. I can cart my kids around, fit golf clubs in the trunk, fit a BUNCH of stuff with the back seat down, get close to 40mpg on the highway, all while looking good and cackling like a maniac.

I guess I need to make more money, so the affordability factor stops being an issue.
If I were shorter, I could see getting a Miata. The BMWs are expensive to maintain and repair. The Porsches are the same. A Miata is cheaper but you gotta be small and not care about carrying anything. Mustang? A boat. Camaro? A boat. Also those tires are expensive. Also you can't enjoy running through the gears because it happens too damned fast when you have 400+ HP. No, twins with a tune FTMFW.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #44
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,257 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I been itchy for a WRX..... /drool.

But as a second car... i dont think i can get rid of my frs.
chaoskaze (03-11-2019), Leonardo (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #45
NeverInTime

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
If I were shorter, I could see getting a Miata. The BMWs are expensive to maintain and repair. The Porsches are the same. A Miata is cheaper but you gotta be small and not care about carrying anything. Mustang? A boat. Camaro? A boat. Also those tires are expensive. Also you can't enjoy running through the gears because it happens too damned fast when you have 400+ HP. No, twins with a tune FTMFW.
A friend of mine bought an '17 Miata with the BBS club performance page a month after I bought my car. That car is a kind of fun that's just different than what you'll find in a BRZ/86, and in the normally sunny weather here in SoCal that retractable roof is amazing. It's also much better put-together in terms of features and interior build quality too.

That being said, I still do prefer the BRZ as it's my DD, friend-hauler, and grocery-getter. The Miata literally doesn't have space in the center console for your phone if you have the larger iPhone/Samsung Note Tablet phones lol. I've even managed to fit four adults in my car before, though the person sitting behind me wasn't exactly happy with the experience.
NeverInTime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NeverInTime For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 11:14 PM   #46
Tangizdope

Drives: 2016 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Getting tired of the non existent low end torque of our 86's. It's getting frustrating in traffic. Thinking about getting a wrx, sti, or mustang gt. I don't know if I'll miss the 86 or not tbh.
Tangizdope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:06 AM   #47
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangizdope View Post
Getting tired of the non existent low end torque of our 86's. It's getting frustrating in traffic. Thinking about getting a wrx, sti, or mustang gt. I don't know if I'll miss the 86 or not tbh.
Learn how to downshift.
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrantedTaken For This Useful Post:
why? (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #48
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
I been itchy for a WRX..... /drool.

But as a second car... i dont think i can get rid of my frs.
I'd love a second car, but not at that price. I'd rather have an AW11 or a Mk2 Supra, much easier on the wallet.

Quote:
Sports Car. Seriously it revs to 60 in 2nd, there is plenty of torque.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:39 PM   #49
Tangizdope

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantedTaken View Post
Learn how to downshift.
Downshift all the time...
If you've driven other cars you would know you don't have to rev to the sky to get torque. I don't know about you but I don't like to rev high as hell just to keep with traffic.
Why do people get so butthurt when people say there is no low end torque on these cars? There is a giant dip in torque known to everyone already.

Last edited by Tangizdope; 03-09-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:50 PM   #50
Tangizdope

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post

Sports Car. Seriously it revs to 60 in 2nd, there is plenty of torque.
I wouldn't want to redline in traffic. Maybe you drive different.
Driving spiritedly near redline all the time is where the power is fine. I'm not talking about that. It's about day to day driving to keep up with traffic down low on the rpms from 1k to 4k rpm.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #51
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
God I know right? This car is so freaking slow when you don't know how to drive it!

I came from a 400WHP-460WTQ car to the BRZ and I had no trouble adjusting my driving style. Redlining? Literally every chance I get.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (03-12-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #52
Tangizdope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
God I know right? This car is so freaking slow when you don't know how to drive it!

I came from a 400WHP-460WTQ car to the BRZ and I had no trouble adjusting my driving style. Redlining? Literally every chance I get.
The car isn't slow. I never said the car was slow. It just lacks low end power. Car is fun as hell when in the upper rpms. Driving on a back road upshifting and downshifting is what makes it even more fun. I'd rather be shifting than staying in one gear the whole time when driving through the twisties.
Just want more torque down low for day to day driving. Not sure why everyone is so triggered about that. Never called the car slow...
Old 03-10-2019, 12:13 PM   #53
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
The car isn't slow. I never said the car was slow. It just lacks low end power. Car is fun as hell when in the upper rpms. Driving on a back road upshifting and downshifting is what makes it even more fun. I'd rather be shifting than staying in one gear the whole time when driving through the twisties.
Just want more torque down low for day to day driving. Not sure why everyone is so triggered about that. Never called the car slow...
Good grief people lay off the guy, you know what he means.

If you want to DD your 86, look into a good quality header + good tune, will fatten up the midrange and get rid of the torque dip. Changes how the car performs, and makes it much more relaxed in everyday commuting. That said, it's a compromise car when you're looking for a relaxed commute, will never be any other way. Mustang or WRX will be better at this and a lot of fun (way more power) but won't have anywhere near the scrappy & connected feel of the 86. Go drive them and it'll be apparent - from there you can decide where you want to go.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #54
AFRichZC6

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
No, it's ok to say it. The car is slow, but for many, it's worth looking past that because it does everything else pretty well. For daily-driving through traffic from light to light, I agree with you. Most times I prefer a powerband that allows me to accelerate from a stop quicker without having to wind out the first two gears. Ignorance is bliss for people who think the car isn't slow in a straight line.

A car that can accelerate fairly quickly in a straight line along with being good at everything else the 86/FRS/BRZ does is called a Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Good grief people lay off the guy, you know what he means.

If you want to DD your 86, look into a good quality header + good tune, will fatten up the midrange and get rid of the torque dip. Changes how the car performs, and makes it much more relaxed in everyday commuting. That said, it's a compromise car when you're looking for a relaxed commute, will never be any other way. Mustang or WRX will be better at this and a lot of fun (way more power) but won't have anywhere near the scrappy & connected feel of the 86. Go drive them and it'll be apparent - from there you can decide where you want to go.
Agreed. WRX and Mustang have nice power, but they are lacking in feel. Not many options out there that have a fatter powerband that offer a similar driving experience as the 86 that are easily accessible/affordable.
AFRichZC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:52 PM   #55
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFRichZC6 View Post
No, it's ok to say it. The car is slow.
A hatchback with <100hp is slow. 0-60 in 6.2 seconds is not. The 987 Cayman is a whole .4 secs faster, but the Cayman hits 60 in second gear, we have to shift to 3rd. That makes this pretty much a wash. It certainly doesn't feel any faster to me.

And the Cayman has a torque dip too :@

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFRichZC6 View Post
A car that can accelerate fairly quickly in a straight line along with being good at everything else the 86/FRS/BRZ does is called a Cayman .
Now don't get me wrong, I love the Cayman, probably the only car I could upgrade to from the BRZ. If only the 987 could get my kids to school, like the BRZ does..
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:32 PM   #56
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I "upgraded" from a MX5 to a 2015 WRX STI, I hated it, so then I "downgraded" to a 2017 86.

My NA tuned 86 is now the same power as the STI when it was stock. Yes there's alot more under the curve, but still the 86 is more fun.

I much prefer the 86, it's got all the major food groups required for fun, RWD-manual-coupe-light weight.
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
bcj (03-11-2019)