follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
bazguitarman
$4,900 till FR-S

Drives: 1999 Mazda Protege
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Noob lowering question.

Ok, I'm old. And this FR-S will be my first performance oriented import experience. I have a question about using lowering springs on the FR-S.

My thoughts are to cut the unsightly, 4x4 like gap between the tires and the fender edge. It's just too much. At the same time I would like to increase over-all handling capability by 10-20%. Nothing too radical in either area. Maybe 1" of drop.

I also want to stay with a very simple approach. I do not want to use a coil-over system due to cost restrictions. I am thinking a good set of springs with properly matched dampers and upgraded sways.

My question is this. Do any of the Tuners ever do suspension sets that include springs and dampers? Having something pre-packaged to work together would make things much easier on a neophite that just want to enjoy driving the car as opposed to a gear head who creams is jeans over spring and damper rates.

Thanks,
Eric
bazguitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Welcome! Youve got your head in the right place.

A quality spring and strut setup can perform better than many coilovers on the street. There will be plenty of options for you, especially because you dont want to go stupid low. Give it some time and you will see most aftermarket suppliers that create subaru setups will have adapted variants for the BRZ/FRS.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
bazguitarman
$4,900 till FR-S

Thank you chulooz. I know it's a little early to worry about aftermarket products for the FR-S/BRZ. And we might even see the TRD options for what I'm looking for become available before I ever order my car. I just like to educate myself before I drop my hard earned $$$'s.

I would love to see an over-all set up that would keep the factory suspension feel and performance. Just slightly improved while removing that unsightly huge gap.

I can't wait to see what TRD and the rest of the aftermarket comes up with for this car.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
You're going to want the RaceComp Engineering "Black" springs.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...light=RaceComp

They're a 20mm drop all around with rates high enough to compensate for the reduced travel, but low enough for good street use. Couple them with the RCE lowering front camber plates for an additional 10mm drop with no reduction in travel and you'll have a great setup.

They have also put the stock dampers on a shock dyno so they know their rates will match well. RCE pays attention to the details. Not many other aftermarket companies will take the time to determine the stock spring rates and damper profiles to ensure they are making a product that will help performance instead of just looking good.

Beware companies trying to sell you springs with large differences front to back. The stock rates are the same front/rear for the BRZ (186lb/in) and slightly higher in the rear for the FR-S. There have already been aftermarket springs with much higher front rates, as if they were for a nose-heavy sedan.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
bazguitarman
$4,900 till FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
You're going to want the RaceComp Engineering "Black" springs.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...light=RaceComp

They're a 20mm drop all around with rates high enough to compensate for the reduced travel, but low enough for good street use. Couple them with the RCE lowering front camber plates for an additional 10mm drop with no reduction in travel and you'll have a great setup.

They have also put the stock dampers on a shock dyno so they know their rates will match well. RCE pays attention to the details. Not many other aftermarket companies will take the time to determine the stock spring rates and damper profiles to ensure they are making a product that will help performance instead of just looking good.

Beware companies trying to sell you springs with large differences front to back. The stock rates are the same front/rear for the BRZ (186lb/in) and slightly higher in the rear for the FR-S. There have already been aftermarket springs with much higher front rates, as if they were for a nose-heavy sedan.

Looks like RaceComp is doing some great work for the BRZ/FR-S crowd. Thanks for the link and info.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazguitarman View Post
Looks like RaceComp is doing some great work for the BRZ/FR-S crowd. Thanks for the link and info.
They are also active here and very helpful at explaining suspension overall, not just their own products.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote