follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Australia Classifieds

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #85
Z86

Drives: 86 GTS Auto in Pegasus White
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPT View Post
Hi Guys

Yes, it is correct that we have set a minimum pricing of $495 inc. GST for the paint application only. It has always been our policy to set a minimum standard of application and pricing and we have been slowly implementing these changes. Up until now we had not been aware that the product price had dropped below this level and had no acted on it.

Minimum pricing is set for various reasons, one including ensuring the standard of preparation and application is to a high standard. As price decreases, profit margins also decrease. You will see in many industries, this then has an effect on the end product.

Our Opti-Coat dealers do not dictate the terms to us, and that is not the case here. The reason for the set pricing is for the above reasons and no others.

Dealers are entitled to include additional items at their discretion such as applying left over product to wheels and/or other surfaces however this is something we will also monitor over time to ensure the correct amount of coating is applied to the painted surfaces.

If anyone has any questions they want to ask us directly feel free to email me at joel@zas.com.au

Hey Joel @OPT

Minimum pricing is great... but what about maximum pricing.
I would love to Opti-coat my car... but in Perth your one and only dealer charges $775 - granted its for 2 coats, but I'm guessing 1 coat would only save $100 because he charges an extra $100 for a 3rd coat. That price, that is way more than east coast dealers charge has made me decide not to opti-coat my car.
Maybe you need some competition here...
Z86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #86
Psoo2010

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Opti,

I have no intentions of opti-coating my car, and as such I believe I am a complete neutral party here.

Just want to bring the following to everyone's attention, as I believe your previous post (as the distributor of the product) is getting into a very grey and dangerous area legally.

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.../itemId/322980

Quote:
Hi Guys

First thank you for your interest in our product. It is great to see so many members coating their 86's. This is a car that I am also looking at purchasing for myself! The queue is crazy though.

I want to answer some of the questions directly that are going to be asked regarding the product pricing.

Yes, it is correct that we have set a minimum pricing of $495 inc. GST for the paint application only. It has always been our policy to set a minimum standard of application and pricing and we have been slowly implementing these changes. Up until now we had not been aware that the product price had dropped below this level and had no acted on it.

Minimum pricing is set for various reasons, one including ensuring the standard of preparation and application is to a high standard. As price decreases, profit margins also decrease. You will see in many industries, this then has an effect on the end product.

Although all our Opti-Coat dealers at this point in time do an excellent job, minimum pricing is set at a point that guarantees we won't have the same issues I previously mentioned. Frank from Bright Shine can have no issue doing the job at the group buy pricing, but the knock on effect is the next person does it cheaper, and then cheaper again and so on. We then have poor quality workmanship creeping in and a whole bunch of 86 owners unhappy with our product.

Our Opti-Coat dealers do not dictate the terms to us, and that is not the case here. The reason for the set pricing is for the above reasons and no others.

All members who have previously committed to Bright Shine's offer will be entitled to this pricing.

Dealers are entitled to include additional items at their discretion such as applying left over product to wheels and/or other surfaces however this is something we will also monitor over time to ensure the correct amount of coating is applied to the painted surfaces.

If anyone has any questions they want to ask us directly feel free to email me at joel@zas.com.au
Psoo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #87
Z86

Quote:
Hi Z86

Sorry to hear that you have had to make that decision. It is very difficult for me to take a shot at Freedom Car Care's pricing as I know the kind of work he does. I'm aware of other 86 owners that have used him. If they are on this forum maybe you can speak to them and see what they thought.

Other brands, like X Pack for example, charge far more $ for an inferior product. So just because the east coast guys are getting an absolute bargain, don't let this be the deciding factor.

Mark is a pretty reasonable guy. If his pricing for the level of service he offers is out of budget, maybe discuss with him what he can offer you at the price you are needing.
I don't doubt that his work is excellent - but is it $250 more excellent than Franks? (not including the extra value Frank is including). How many clients who are not buying BMWs are also not opti-coating their car, because $800 is a lot to spend on a $30000 car. I'm not going to buy an inferior product. I'll just buy nothing. The lack of competition and price-parity reduces sales of the product. If Toyota were charging a 50% premium on the 86 in WA, less people would buy it. Its a bit like people buying electronics overseas because of the unreasonable mark ups on some products in Australia, except this is not a case of higher landed costs, taxes etc - costs between Sydney and Perth are pretty similar.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #88
xeri

Drives: White 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z86 View Post
I don't doubt that his work is excellent - but is it $250 more excellent than Franks? (not including the extra value Frank is including). How many clients who are not buying BMWs are also not opti-coating their car, because $800 is a lot to spend on a $30000 car. I'm not going to buy an inferior product. I'll just buy nothing. The lack of competition and price-parity reduces sales of the product. If Toyota were charging a 50% premium on the 86 in WA, less people would buy it. Its a bit like people buying electronics overseas because of the unreasonable mark ups on some products in Australia, except this is not a case of higher landed costs, taxes etc - costs between Sydney and Perth are pretty similar.
I think it applies to other states as well sadly (vic) and fully agree with your view Z86.
Kinda makes you wonder how much the Americans are paying ~ sigh.
xeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #89
xeri

Drives: White 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
What Frank is offering is a discounted deal based on the volume he has received. We don't expect another Opti-Coat dealer to discount their services just because another is.

With regards to what the Americans are paying, Australia is actually leading the way with how the product is handled and their market is following us. Actually right now in the background we are assisting them with the setup. So we are obviously doing something right?

Price wise, they currently offer the product for around US$250-300 for the Opti-Coat service ONLY plus prep work beforehand is not included in the price AND with no guarantee.
And thats fair enough opt but frank was offering nearly half price ($400 vs $800) and i really don't think volume gives you that much of a saving. Each car is still located at different places and still needs x amount of product...
While Melbourne rates are better @~$700 its still quite a difference.

US guys are even worse at $250 min + prep vs $495 min + prep it's starting to leave a bad taste in your mouth.
Yes you mention warranty but at that price difference warranty matters little.
xeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:26 AM   #90
Frank @ BrightShine

Drives: Commodore SV6 Ute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psoo2010 View Post
Opti,

I have no intentions of opti-coating my car, and as such I believe I am a complete neutral party here.

Just want to bring the following to everyone's attention, as I believe your previous post (as the distributor of the product) is getting into a very grey and dangerous area legally.

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.../itemId/322980
Guys let's not get carried away here.

Mate what you have posted applies when a deal is struck between two separate entities.

In the Interests of this great forum and subscribers let's keep it clean and keep this group buy open to the benefit of new car owners.

I do believe that the offer change could have been handled more appropriately, but this did not stem from OPT or Joel, but rather a third party to the conversation who should have had zero input from the start. This has been ironed out and will not be happening again.
Frank @ BrightShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #91
Frank @ BrightShine

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeri View Post
And thats fair enough opt but frank was offering nearly half price ($400 vs $800) and i really don't think volume gives you that much of a saving. Each car is still located at different places and still needs x amount of product...
While Melbourne rates are better @~$700 its still quite a difference.

US guys are even worse at $250 min + prep vs $495 min + prep it's starting to leave a bad taste in your mouth.
Yes you mention warranty but at that price difference warranty matters little.

Hi Xeri,

I understand what you are saying as the consumer.

But what you have to remember is that us Detailers price our services on two points.

1. Labour rate
2. Overheads

Most of the detailers with associated higher costs have a workshop which automatically introduces rent, electricity, water bills etc.

Plus their labour rate is generally higher as they have extra staff.

Most of the time this is the reason why some prices are higher. It is the responsibility of these workshops to "sell" you their services, but we should not be played off against one another as our circumstances all differ.

Being a Mobile Detailer, I can afford to take a large hit on the price and still profit because I don't have these huge overheads.

What Joel is simply doing is setting a "reserve" figure to ensure that quality workmanship isn't compromised as the network of dealers increases. It only takes one bad job to ruin the huge reputation of this great product.

Like I said, I understand where you are coming from as the consumer, but this is the bigger picture and some simple facts that we have to live by in this industry.

Frank
Old 07-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #92
Psoo2010

Drives: Toyota 86
Well, apologies.

I guess I got carry away when Joel mentioned the word "dealer" in his posts- was a retailer in a previous life and it boils my blood to see small businesses suffer under draconian regimes.

Didn't realize Zen Automotive has controlling financial interests in all Opticoat "dealers" and therefore might be exempted from the price fixing laws.

I shall shut my mouth/ keyboard now and leave it to the experts at ACCC to sort this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank @ BrightShine View Post
Guys let's not get carried away here.

Mate what you have posted applies when a deal is struck between two separate entities.

In the Interests of this great forum and subscribers let's keep it clean and keep this group buy open to the benefit of new car owners.

I do believe that the offer change could have been handled more appropriately, but this did not stem from OPT or Joel, but rather a third party to the conversation who should have had zero input from the start. This has been ironed out and will not be happening again.
Psoo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:41 AM   #93
Frank @ BrightShine

Thanks Psoo2010 but there's no suffering under Draconian regimes here.

What I am suffering over are useless posts and baseless assumptions turning people off this thread.

Let's keep it on topic.

Frank
Old 07-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #94
Z86

Wish we could get you to Perth Frank... actually if there is a bunch of us we probably could fly you over for a few days, do a bunch of cars and fly you back... would be cheaper than getting it done locally :-)
Old 07-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #95
Gir

Drives: 86 GT Manual - Sonic Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z86 View Post
Wish we could get you to Perth Frank... actually if there is a bunch of us we probably could fly you over for a few days, do a bunch of cars and fly you back... would be cheaper than getting it done locally :-)
Same for Melbourne too.
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #96
Frank @ BrightShine

Guys this is currently under consideration so watch this space!

Also I'll be updating this thread back to the old pricing asap.

Frank
Old 07-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #97
redvee86
redvee

Drives: 2012 Sonic Blue 86 GTS AT
Hi Frank,

Interested in the original option 2 (shown below) for $420 (i think)..

2. Or I will add value to your deal and Opti Coat your wheels, plastics and rubbers, side/rear glass and headlights/tail lights at no extra cost (coating the windscreen is illegal therefore I will not endorse it)

Estimated delivery date for mine is August 20. Thanks!

J
redvee86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #98
FT86_Zero

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
guys, please leave your information as per first post, I will update then... thanks.
FT86_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote