follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-18-2020, 07:44 PM   #15
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
The thousands of rocks in my JDM aero panels would agree there is plenty of room between the panels and the steel body.

On the 2 larger panels I used exterior foam tape around the perimeter of the panel before putting in the push pins. I was a bit worried about winter getting between them and making things worse though, not rocks.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:53 PM   #16
Deadline

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Great review

Great review, thanks. I just got these and will install in the next few days. I got them to replace the carboard-like panels on the 86 (I don't know what the material is called, but I wanted something more flat, solid and protective for the undercarriage to supplement the underbody paneling I am installing.
Deadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:09 AM   #17
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Garage
After installing the JDM underpanel aero covers, I highly suggest to complete the flattening of the underbelly with Verus Transmission Tunnel Cover, Suspension/Differential Covers, and Rear Diffuser. These will highly reduce the underbody drag esp in the transmission & bumper, create downforce, & increase stability at high speeds even on the highway. I noticed that it's so much easier for me to accelerate from 80-150kph with them on. Not only will they reduce road noise, they'll also protect the underbody parts especially from debris. I noticed that it muffled my (TRD) exhaust note a bit too, which I welcome, perhaps it's because the transmission cover has direct contact with the midpipe & absorbs some of the exhaust's vibrational frequencies. However, I noticed that the midpipe & the transmission cover have developed a rattling at 2k-2.3k rpms perhaps from the screws loosening a bit. That's why my next project is to wrap the midpipe with a DEI heat shield that will act both as noise dampener & heat manager as well. We'll be wrapping the resonator too so, hopefully, more sound will be dampened & a more whole note will be made by the exhaust.

Whether you, guys, have covered the underbelly or not, if you have a pressure washer, I highly suggest to buy the underbody washer attachment to rinse off mud & snow salts too.
Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sygfrid For This Useful Post:
FLYFISHR (12-04-2020), norcalpb (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 01:04 PM   #18
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygfrid View Post
After installing the JDM underpanel aero covers, I highly suggest to complete the flattening of the underbelly with Verus Transmission Tunnel Cover, Suspension/Differential Covers, and Rear Diffuser. These will highly reduce the underbody drag esp in the transmission & bumper, create downforce, & increase stability at high speeds even on the highway. I noticed that it's so much easier for me to accelerate from 80-150kph with them on. Not only will they reduce road noise, they'll also protect the underbody parts especially from debris. I noticed that it muffled my (TRD) exhaust note a bit too, which I welcome, perhaps it's because the transmission cover has direct contact with the midpipe & absorbs some of the exhaust's vibrational frequencies. However, I noticed that the midpipe & the transmission cover have developed a rattling at 2k-2.3k rpms perhaps from the screws loosening a bit. That's why my next project is to wrap the midpipe with a DEI heat shield that will act both as noise dampener & heat manager as well. We'll be wrapping the resonator too so, hopefully, more sound will be dampened & a more whole note will be made by the exhaust.

Whether you, guys, have covered the underbelly or not, if you have a pressure washer, I highly suggest to buy the underbody washer attachment to rinse off mud & snow salts too.
How many spacers did you need to fit the verus transmission tunnel cover? I really want that piece, but all the pics of it show no spacers where it connects to the transmission foam trim piece, and tons of spacers at the back which makes it seem to be angled from front to back.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:34 AM   #19
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
How many spacers did you need to fit the verus transmission tunnel cover? I really want that piece, but all the pics of it show no spacers where it connects to the transmission foam trim piece, and tons of spacers at the back which makes it seem to be angled from front to back.
If I remember it correctly, we've used about 2 long ones for the front most & rear most parts of the panels since we covered/wrapped the front & mid pipes of the 2019 TRD SE Exhaust with DEI Form-A-Shield thermal insulation. I think there was no spacer or we could've used the shortest spacer at the mid section where the 2 panels meet. Yeah, it wasn't completely flat, turned out a little concaved. I'm not sure how that'll affect the attached flow. I'm not too concerned as it's only for street use & canyon runs, & our highway limit is 120 kph (stretching it to 150 kph in a remote hwy when no one's looking). Nevertheless, what's more important is that the underbelly is covered for drag reduction & protection as well.

Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter

Last edited by sygfrid; 12-09-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:07 AM   #20
FLYFISHR

Drives: 2014 BR"ZED" Sport-tech DGM MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygfrid View Post
After installing the JDM underpanel aero covers, I highly suggest to complete the flattening of the underbelly with Verus Transmission Tunnel Cover, Suspension/Differential Covers, and Rear Diffuser.
I have only the funds to slowly install these items one at a time. In what order would you suggest I purchase and install? Thanks for any advice
Old 12-10-2020, 04:37 AM   #21
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYFISHR View Post
I have only the funds to slowly install these items one at a time. In what order would you suggest I purchase and install? Thanks for any advice
If I were to do it slowly, my sequence would be:

(Optional) 0. Design Engineering Form-A-Shield thermal insulation 42"x48" (US$130) - if your aftermarket exhaust is too loud to your liking esp. inside the cabin, the light-weight thick thermal insulation can dampen the "tin can note" of the exhaust if you wrap it around the front pipe, mid pipe, & even the resonator/muffler. It'll also reduce the radiant heat that warms the cabin esp in the summer & you're stuck in traffic. You can use it too to form a heatshield around your aftermarket headers to reduce engine bay heat & protect the rubbers & plastics.

1. Verus Rear diffuser (US$550) -to cover the rear bumper's internal portion that can act as a parachute & create lots of drag especially if you have aftermarket exhaust (the OEM exhaust was designed to act as a diffuser too that's why you'll notice that its wide housing stretches all the way to the reverse light area. Covering this huge portion allows the attached low pressure air to smoothly pass from the differential area to the rear & reduce the rear "wake" that causes drag.

2. Verus Transmission Tunnel Covers (US$180) - to cover another source of turbulent air that creates drag. IMO, it's more efficient to start with this than the JDM since you'll need to drill through the existing 2 holes for its installation. Later on, the JDM panels will also use these holes. You'll have a more quiet cabin too when you cover this section.

3. JDM Aero Under Panel Covers (US$265)- easiest to install. The stream-lined covers will feed cleaner attached air to the rear diffuser. Their mounting points will be behind the Transmission Tunnel Covers.

4. Rear Suspension/Differential Covers (US$290) - directs the attached clean air uninterruptedly from the JDM panels to the rear diffuser. Unfortunately, 1 of its mounting points can't be installed directly into the chasis as the JDM (fuel tank) cover will be in the way. You'll have to drill through the JDM cover & mount a section onto it. I think Verus designed these without the JDM panels that's why a little improvisation is needed.

(optional) 5. TRD Front Spoiler (US$350++) or Verus Splitter (US$360)- still on my bucket list as I wait for the borders to open.

I didn't prioritize the front splitter or spoiler as it only encompasses a very small area & its impact is less significant compared to very large area that the underbelly & the rear that the clean low pressure air needs to travel through.

I hope you'll be able to complete the entire system of flattening out the undercarriage. As Julian Edgar (author of Modifying the Aerodynamics of your Road car) has explained, think of the undercarriage as 1 continuous system for the low pressure air to work in effectively reducing lift & drag. The clean low pressure air should start from the front and flow uninterruptedly all the way towards the rear. If the air becomes turbulent somewhere on its way to the rear, the diffuser may not be able to completely do its job of reducing lift & drag.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by sygfrid; 12-17-2020 at 04:03 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sygfrid For This Useful Post:
FLYFISHR (12-10-2020), norcalpb (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #22
FLYFISHR

Drives: 2014 BR"ZED" Sport-tech DGM MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
sygfrid thanks for the fantastic advice and the logic behind it all. I think I will jump ahead to the tunnel covers as I install the full JDM under panels soon after I purchased my car and I still have the stock exhaust. I also put sound deadening though out the car and I can hold a conversation inside with out having to raise my voice. Also installed was an inexpensive front lip to protect the front bumper, so the tunnel is the first area heading back to the rear that opens up and would allow turbulence. My goal is not so much for downforce but low drag while on the highway. If I didn’t have the big stock muffler then the rear diffuser would have been my first choice to meet that goal. Again thanks again for the well thought out answer to my question.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:04 PM   #23
Totmacher

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippee View Post
Great post, I'm after a quieter interior as well. I wonder if there's much space between the panel and the steel body. I would try to stuff some weather resistant in between. Maybe not stuff a lot because then it could collect moisture etc.
If all you're after is a quieter ride, something I've done that made a noticeable difference in road noise is sound damping material (like dynamat or whatever brand you like).

1. Do at least the lower 1/3 inside the doors.
2. Remove the interior rear side panels (ones that cover rear speakers) and the rear bottom seat cushions. Put the damping material inside the exterior sheet metal everywhere you can reach behind the speakers. Including up on fenders above rear wheel area. Put it all around under the seat cushions too.
3. Remove the spare tire and foam parts from bottom of your trunk. Line the bottom of your trunk with damping material.

Make sure you use a good roller to get out all the air pockets.

Doing all that on the rear even took some of the interior loudness coming from my muffler delete.
Totmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Totmacher For This Useful Post:
T-Steve (04-02-2021)

Tags
jdm underbody panels, underbody