follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2019, 11:21 PM   #1
Mdulin

Drives: Scion Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Rota titans and Teen street basis for a track day?

I have some Rota titan 18x9.5 +38 with 255/35/18 michelin PS4s in front and 255/40/18 rear. I am running Tein Street basis coilovers.
I also have Stoptech pads, stainless lines, slotted rotors and some ST f/r sway bars.
I know rota has somewhat of a reputation for cracking under high pressure, but considering the are JWL/VIA certified how likely is that to happen? Also for the coils, since there is no dampening/camber/caster adjustment and relatively soft springs and damping rates meant for street driving, how well will they do on track? Planning a Track day in March at VIR. Ive done 3 autoX events on this car but this will be my first track day.
Mdulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:43 PM   #2
nico_rsx

Drives: BRZ 2017 Pure Red, MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm no expert, but depending on what model of stoptech pad you got, that's more likely your weak spot than anything else.
nico_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nico_rsx For This Useful Post:
kch (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 12:20 AM   #3
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
What's up with those tire sizes? As the guy above said, I would upgrade to a track spec pad before you go. VIR has some decent straights, at least the back straight braking zone is uphill. From what I recall the track wasn't particularly hard on brakes but there are a lot of track configurations so YMMV. In any case I think you would benefit from upgraded pads, for peace of mind if nothing else. Seen a lot of different cars destroying stock and Autocross/mixed duty pads.

Other than that don't overthink it. Even if you don't get new pads, run what ya brung. Have fun and learn.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:31 AM   #4
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
This is a must read:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25485

You'll be fine as a newb, are you getting a coach? Make sure you do your best to connect with your coach and if it's not working out try and switch before lunchtime, not everyone connects with every coach.

As above brake pads and brake fluid are the weak points in your setup right now but don't try to be a hero, try and listen to what the car tells you and you'll be fine. If you want to try and prevent brake problems which would cause you to at a minimum slow down and take it easy or worst case risk a crash check out upgrading to at least a hybrid pad and better brake fluid.
Here's a big list of brake pad reviews from forum goers. Be prepared that this will be a $200+ cost if you want to upgrade but it's very easy to swap pads since a lot of them are annoying to DD, but most entry level track/hybrid pads will be good for autox too.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23680

If you're thinking about damping rates and spring choice while you're out there you're probably not thinking about the right things. Don't pound the curbs and go off track and your wheels will be fine.
Most importantly have fun.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 12:49 AM   #5
Mdulin

Garage
Currently I just have the stop tech street pads, but im running castrol SRF fluid. Tire sizes are staggered like this just due to the fact that I got a 40 sidewall last time all around when coming from the previous owners stretched 235/40/18s, and now i am moving to a 35 sidewall and just wore through the first 2/4 tires.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:59 AM   #6
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Lol PS4's? For track days? Lol
It's a good street tire, but no where near a good track tire.

As others said brake pads and fluids are going to be your best upgrade.
Oem wheels and good tires would be more than enough.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #7
Imp
Bring out your dead

Drives: '14 BRZ (SSC), '00 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Lol PS4's? For track days? Lol
It's a good street tire, but no where near a good track tire.
Good to learn on though. A novice isn't going to be pushing many boundaries for speed/grip and they communicate rather well, and will break away sooner and more progressively (i.e. safely) than a tire with ultimate grip hiding mistakes/bad habits that need to be learned and dialed out/corrected.

Rotas will be fine. They had an early reputation with a few wheels. In any case, thicker spokes > thinner spokes. This is coming from someone that did have a rota subzero break at an autox in 2003 (yes, 16 years ago) which they replaced no hassles. Nothing drastic happened, just made a sound like a pebble in the brake rotor. Inspected, found, and put on spare. Just pay attention to what your car is saying. Not saying this to scare you... you should be fine considering the nature of the tires you want to run. (again, not ultimate grip, but will break away more progressively).

Honestly, I wish everyone learning track days would just run decent all seasons... you learn a LOT more about the friction circle, more safely, while you learn the lines.

--kC
GrandSport (01-09-2019), strat61caster (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #8
Mdulin

Garage
The PS4s are just my daily tires, if i ever got a 2nd dedicated set id just get 17x9 RPF1s and RE71Rs. But Im just gonna run what i got, but ill prob end up buying a 2nd set of race pads
Old 01-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #9
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
PS4S are fine on the track for a beginner. I would recommend against RE71R for beginners and most people that aren't trying to set 1 fast lap.

Anyway...as others have said, keep on eye on your brake pads or bring another set. Check your alignment and the general maintenance of your car. The thread @strat61caster linked is good.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
ka-t_240 (01-09-2019), strat61caster (01-08-2019), venturaII (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 12:42 PM   #10
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I don't know why PS4S is getting a bad reputation in here. It's a perfectly fine tire to take to the track, especially in OP's case.

The PS4S tire is also the main tire used for OLOA - It doesn't suck
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
kch (01-08-2019), Racecomp Engineering (01-09-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #11
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
The PS4S are not a dedicated track tire for sure, but they are not a winter or a 4 season tire. I mean, Mike Kang won Global Time attack SLB enthusiast (I think?) class with them, and that was a turboed car with lots more power and a beast of a driver behind the wheel. I can see the PS4S lasting an acceptable amount to a beginner and maybe even an intermediate driver.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #12
Evan55

Drives: 06 Exige, 17 BRZ PP
Go with the car as-is, you will be fine. There is zero reason to upgrade pads for your first track day, you will be learning and not going very fast. Its much more important to focus on you, the driver your first few track days.
As you get more experience, you will see your car's weaknesses and where you will need to make modifications.

Have fun! VIR is a great track, what club are you running with?
Evan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:02 AM   #13
shadow_772

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
What's up with those tire sizes? As the guy above said, I would upgrade to a track spec pad before you go. VIR has some decent straights, at least the back straight braking zone is uphill. From what I recall the track wasn't particularly hard on brakes but there are a lot of track configurations so YMMV. In any case I think you would benefit from upgraded pads, for peace of mind if nothing else. Seen a lot of different cars destroying stock and Autocross/mixed duty pads.

Other than that don't overthink it. Even if you don't get new pads, run what ya brung. Have fun and learn.
The back straight (braking zone) is a decline.

Anyways, OP your car sounds fine for a first track day. Read the prep thread at the top, check/change your fluids, check your rotors and pads and have fun.
shadow_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:49 PM   #14
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I'll echo what the others have said, just go with what you have. As a beginner with those tires, you won't be creating enough grip to stress the wheels. I've tracked on my Rota's with RE71R's many times, no issues.

One thing I would recommend is be conscious of your braking habits. The way you brake will affect your pads/braking ability more than the pads/fluid itself. In other words, when you brake, brake hard and quick, do not drag your brakes going into a turn - or "pre-brake" before the braking zone. You want to spend as little time on the brakes as possible to keep them from overheating.

Lastly, have fun!

Tags
rota, stop tech, tein coilovers, track, track day