follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-16-2020, 06:36 PM   #1
golemslord

Drives: 2014 White FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
valenti tail light install no torque wrench

Hi all, installed valenti tail lights at first with just a 8mm socket and hand tightening the screws (the best of my ability). Next day there seems to be a tiny bit of water at the bottom of the tail light but no condensation (due to heavy rain).

Following day, I then used a 1/4 drive ratchet and 8mm socket to tighten all screws. (all with a little less than a quarter turn)

My question is if that is too tight or just right or too less? I know it is suppose to be 39in.lbs or 4.5nm or 3.25ft.lbs but no idea what it feels like

Lights are purchased used but previous owner bought new 3 months ago

Thank you
golemslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:47 PM   #2
Plumbus
Seņor Member

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by golemslord View Post
Hi all, installed valenti tail lights at first with just a 8mm socket and hand tightening the screws (the best of my ability). Next day there seems to be a tiny bit of water at the bottom of the tail light but no condensation (due to heavy rain).

Following day, I then used a 1/4 drive ratchet and 8mm socket to tighten all screws. (all with a little less than a quarter turn)

My question is if that is too tight or just right or too less? I know it is suppose to be 39in.lbs or 4.5nm or 3.25ft.lbs but no idea what it feels like

Lights are purchased used but previous owner bought new 3 months ago

Thank you
Are the gaskets the ones that came from the factory (ie. the ones previous owner used)? If so, you need to get a new set of gaskets. They get pressed the first time you tighten the bolts on install, and seal successfully. After that, the gasket retains the shape and is useless for next install. In other words, they are non-reusable and must be replaced each install.

Torque is 4.5 n-m or 3.3 ft-lbf (not tight at all). Still suggest a torque wrench but most importantly new gaskets.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plumbus For This Useful Post:
golemslord (11-16-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 04:15 AM   #3
golemslord

Yeah it's used gasket, I guess I'll get some 2017+ gaskets from Toyota. Also do I have to really use weather sealant? Can I just put the new gasket on tails and bolt it back on?
Old 11-17-2020, 07:33 AM   #4
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Honestly I didn't use a torque wrench and don't remember anything about any gasket. Are these used ones you got?
Old 11-17-2020, 07:50 AM   #5
golemslord

yeah the tail lights are used for 3 months by previous owner. The gasket that comes with the valenti do seem like on a thinner side

Anyone know if doubling up the gasket would do the trick. I have additional spare first generation valenti gaskets that are pretty thin
Old 11-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #6
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Quote:
yeah the tail lights are used for 3 months by previous owner. The gasket that comes with the valenti do seem like on a thinner side

Anyone know if doubling up the gasket would do the trick. I have additional spare first generation valenti gaskets that are pretty thin
Do not double-up. Gaskets are designed to seal against hard surfaces, not other gaskets. Use the gasket as it comes new. Just because it seems thin doesn't mean it isn't effective. If you align the gasket properly and don't over-torque it, it will be just fine.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:20 PM   #7
golemslord

idk man, I think I'm trolling myself. Apparently when I took one tail light off today, it looks like the water is actually at the inner edges of the lens. Therefore it made it seem like water was inside but not. No wonder why there was no condensation

Though, fingers crossed that I reinstalled it correctly again lmao
The Following User Says Thank You to golemslord For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #8
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
idk man, I think I'm trolling myself. Apparently when I took one tail light off today, it looks like the water is actually at the inner edges of the lens. Therefore it made it seem like water was inside but not. No wonder why there was no condensation

Though, fingers crossed that I reinstalled it correctly again lmao
Not saying you're supposed to use a new gasket when reinstalling but... good luck!
Old 11-19-2020, 04:31 PM   #9
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've always had trouble with those gaskets.

OEM, then first generation of the Valenti Smoked both had condensation and water in them. The Smoked started cracking too.

Now I'm running Valenti Sequential clear and used Gasket Ninja and silicone/weather sealant. No issues at all now. There is a thread around here on what type of gasket material to use and you can just trace the old gasket out.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #10
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Due to an ahole backing in to me in a parking lot and needing body work, I've had my Valentis on and off twice, with the same gaskets. After 3 years, no water leaks. I used this torque wrench both times.
https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-...nch-63881.html
Use code 32664366 at checkout to get 20% off.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote