follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 02:25 PM   #15
Lantana frs

Drives: 13 frs red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oh no.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #16
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Meh, I'm waaaaay over this debate. People will do what they wish. I won't be buying their beat up engines so what do I care?

Good call, OP. Get a lightweight flywheel if you wish but if you want cool functional up front, @Somerandom18 is on point.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #17
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Would you buy that the OEM crankshaft pulley is a "elastomer style harmonic balancer" ....??

If not, prepare for a down from ol @Ultramaroon ........

humfrz
don't give a crap what anyone says. Subaru in its adds on its own website says the engine is internally balanced. Every i4 and boxer 4 cylinder engine is internally balanced. Harmonic balancer or whatever you wish to call it only are needed for larger engines and v6 or v8 engines because they are all compromised in some fashion.

Our engine is a boxer engine. You literally cannot get more balanced. My Yaris, which is a i4, has had an NST pulley set for 60,000 miles. My BRZ has a pulley set for almost 10,000 miles.

Our stock pulley's are crap. If I was going to add power I'd switch pulley's first thing. It is obvious they were made simply to last forever and not much else. Subaru's have a history of all sorts of idiotic issues that go back to their engineers compromising their engines in some way for the US market. If you really are worried about harmonics you need to go buy that fluidampr damper, hell it supposedly makes more power on a dyno as well.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #18
killconey

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So I've put the OEM pulley back on and there is no vibration. Must either the way I installed it the first time or the it was the fault of the aftermarket pulley. Either way I'll leave it alone since its working now.
The Following User Says Thank You to killconey For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #19
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
don't give a crap what anyone says. Subaru in its adds on its own website says the engine is internally balanced. Every i4 and boxer 4 cylinder engine is internally balanced. Harmonic balancer or whatever you wish to call it only are needed for larger engines and v6 or v8 engines because they are all compromised in some fashion.

Our engine is a boxer engine. You literally cannot get more balanced. My Yaris, which is a i4, has had an NST pulley set for 60,000 miles. My BRZ has a pulley set for almost 10,000 miles.

Our stock pulley's are crap. If I was going to add power I'd switch pulley's first thing. It is obvious they were made simply to last forever and not much else. Subaru's have a history of all sorts of idiotic issues that go back to their engineers compromising their engines in some way for the US market. If you really are worried about harmonics you need to go buy that fluidampr damper, hell it supposedly makes more power on a dyno as well.
Well, now @why? ....... you didn't address my question:

"Would you buy that the OEM crankshaft pulley is a "elastomer style harmonic balancer" ....??

Allow me to rephrase the question for you.

Would you agree that the OEM crankshaft pulley on a FR-S, is considered to be a "elastomer style harmonic balancer" ....??

humfrz
Old 02-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #20
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

"Would you buy that the OEM crankshaft pulley is a "elastomer style harmonic balancer" ....??

Would you agree that the OEM crankshaft pulley on a FR-S, is considered to be a "elastomer style harmonic balancer" ....??

humfrz
Damper not balancer.
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 04:53 PM   #21
Somerandom18

Drives: 2017 manual BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
There's a reason why the lightweight pullies lower horsepower..

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #22
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

You lost me at "don't give a crap what anyone says"! I pushed through but then " Our stock pulley's are crap" took me by surprise. Like Mike Tyson you continued pounding with a left hook aka "If I was going to add power I'd switch pulley's first thing." and an almost perfect uppercut "It is obvious they were made simply to last forever and not much else."
And that is how I got KO by your strong "I bought it therefore it works" cognitive dissonance arguments!
Looks to me like you use "balanced engine" without even knowing what the harmonic balancer does. This is not a tomato/tomatoe case! Heck, a simple google will bring you this info: Every time the cylinders fire, torque is imparted to the crankshaft. The crankshaft deflects under this torque, which sets up vibrations when the torque is released. At certain engine speeds the torques imparted by the cylinders are in sync with the vibrations in the crankshaft, which results in a phenomenon called resonance. This resonance causes stress beyond what the crankshaft can withstand, resulting in crankshaft failure.
But wait ...there is more: To prevent this vibration, a harmonic balancer is attached to the front part of the crankshaft

So you see why no matter how "balanced" an engine is internally, if it requires a harmonic balancer (aka crank pulley damper, crankshaft damper, torsional damper, or vibration damper) and is being equipped with one from the factory by qualified engineers with years of experience, don't remove it! Especially if you rev this engine high enough to feel like you drive the car!
Hope it helps!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawk77FT For This Useful Post:
Frs_chil (02-12-2017), humfrz (02-12-2017), Ultramaroon (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #23
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:

humfrz
no. It is a crappy hunk of metal made as cheaply as possible meant to last as long as possible and nothing else. This article really shows the issues. Basically if you drive the car normally you are never ever going to show any issues. What makes me laugh is that fluidampr actually increases vibrations above 5500 rpm over the stock, aka where a race vehicle will actually spend most of its time. Their so called "SFI" rating is done at 12,500 rpm, aka an rpm no known FA20 can actually ever hit. What this article tells you is harmonics don't exist at all for our cars. It is not something anyone has to ever worry about unless they are going to add lots power to their vehicles, and even then nothing they show actually says anything will ever actually happen. The only interesting thing is this shows that their dampr might add a couple hp, but every dyno operator will tell you that very well could be within the error factor of every dyno ever made. This article makes me even more confident anyone can do anything the hell they want with their pulley's and it isn't going to change anything that matters.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #24
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
no. It is a crappy hunk of metal made as cheaply as possible meant to last as long as possible and nothing else. This article really shows the issues. Basically if you drive the car normally you are never ever going to show any issues. What makes me laugh is that fluidampr actually increases vibrations above 5500 rpm over the stock, aka where a race vehicle will actually spend most of its time. Their so called "SFI" rating is done at 12,500 rpm, aka an rpm no known FA20 can actually ever hit. What this article tells you is harmonics don't exist at all for our cars. It is not something anyone has to ever worry about unless they are going to add lots power to their vehicles, and even then nothing they show actually says anything will ever actually happen. The only interesting thing is this shows that their dampr might add a couple hp, but every dyno operator will tell you that very well could be within the error factor of every dyno ever made. This article makes me even more confident anyone can do anything the hell they want with their pulley's and it isn't going to change anything that matters.
Man, do you even graph? LIke seriously. I take it you looked at the second chart, which actually shows the extent of the actual vibrations, hence they recommend to look at the smoothness of the damping capabilities.
"Second order comparison between the OEM tuned elastomer damper and Fluidampr performance damper. The dominant second order represents the firing order in four-cylinder, four stroke engines. Clear start and stop damping range spikes of the tuned elastomer damper are present at 3900 and 5250 rpm, or 130Hz to 175Hz, for a narrow operating range of only 45Hz. Note the smoothness of the Fluidampr damping capability through the same rpm range."
Also, the third and fourth graph actually shows "The Fluidampr performance damper was able to cut amplitude of the excited 3rd order vibration generated by the 260Hz crankshaft resonance in half, down to below .1 degrees peak." I dare ask, do you even know what that means? You know, different frequencies and grades of vibrations, etc. I am not by any means an engineer but i have a somewhat clue about the complexity of it.
If you really want it simplified, the fifth chart shows the extent of vibrations at different rpm.
Name:  FluidDampr.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  80.0 KB

Next time, when you challenge the findings of a professional test, please make sure you really know what you are talking about.
Also, please stop spreading wrong info. "What this article tells you is harmonics don't exist at all for our cars." Yeah it so does hey! Totally! Please read my previous post for educational purposes!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk77FT For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 09:44 PM   #25
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Damper not balancer.
....... how DARE you correct ME ....... I've already made up my mind and "don't give a crap what anyone says"! ......., to quote a recently self declared expert in the field of pulley things........

Seriously, I'm simple minded and just remembered this from what that guy Wiki had to say:

"A harmonic balancer (also called crank pulley damper, crankshaft damper, torsional damper, or vibration damper) is a device connected to the crankshaft of an engine to reduce torsional vibration and serves as a pulley for drive belts.[1]"

Is there a difference or are you just slapping around an old man for giggles ...??

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Hawk77FT (02-12-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #26
SubieRumble
RWD Snob

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FRS MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Oh boy!
Old 02-12-2017, 10:13 PM   #27
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
I'm pretty sure "balancer" versus "damper" is a semantic argument. Where "damper" is functionally accurate, "balancer" has been used way more and so we're stuck with it.

For instance, I gave up making the distinction between "motor" and "engine." Yes, I know in this application an engine is the motor but I still cringe a little on the inside whenever I hear it.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:44 PM   #28
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I'm pretty sure "balancer" versus "damper" is a semantic argument. Where "damper" is functionally accurate, "balancer" has been used way more and so we're stuck with it.

For instance, I gave up making the distinction between "motor" and "engine." Yes, I know in this application an engine is the motor but I still cringe a little on the inside whenever I hear it.
Yep, I hear that.

To me an "engine" is something you pour fuel into to make it run; a "motor" is something you plug in to make run ......

humfrz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Somerandom18 (02-12-2017), Ultramaroon (02-12-2017)

Closed Thread