follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Interior light doesn't Auto-Off

The FRS isn't as idiot-proof as I would have wanted. I learned another nuance about how basic this car is last night when I forgot to set the interior light back to "DOOR" from "ON" after cracking open the owner's manual in the car to read something. On my previous car (a 4Runner), the interior light would automatically turn off after ~10 minutes even if set to the ON position. I left it on all night long in the FRS; hopefully the new 12V battery didn't take too much of a beating. Oh well, if its going to be a FRS MT with manual climate controls, might as well have manual lights too... and might as well give me manual windows too! Still love my FRS.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Asphalt~86
Banned

Drives: Asphalt AT
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
We don't even have auto headlights or alarms. What would make you think they would save us from flipping switches?
Asphalt~86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Books

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S (MT)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
maybe get some LEDs, they won't use as much juice!
Old 02-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Just getting used to having to think and engage again while operating and driving a car (not saying this as a negative). Given the relatively mundane office jobs that many of us have, it is a bit of fresh air to not be so reliant on automatic everything during the brief amount of daily fun we get to have driving the FRS.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
jpit

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The BRZ has a time limit that turns off the interior lights if accidently left on.
jpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpit View Post
The BRZ has a time limit that turns off the interior lights if accidently left on.
Damnit! Another one of those things you BRZ owners can hold over us FRS owners! I used to think it was primarily the HIDs and trunk liner I would have wanted from the BRZs.... now this. At least I still like the FRS front end better.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
kodyo

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
It's probably possible to wire up a 555 timer to it to get it to shut off after 10 minutes (or whatever your desired time is). It doesn't really bother me, so I don't plan to go poking around in the dome light to see if there is room, but it's possible and relatively cheap/easy to build.

You'll want to look into a monostable 555 circuit. When I build them, I generally wire it so that the chip and resistors/capacitor can be relatively easy to remove in case I get a bad one or want to change timing. A chip socket generally does the job well.

If you need help, I could probably help a bit.
kodyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #8
EBMCS03

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphalt~86 View Post
We don't even have auto headlights or alarms. What would make you think they would save us from flipping switches?
ya... i was shocked how basic it was... even the corolla has auto headlights which turned on at night which i HATED.... but it had it...

I am still shocked that the headlights stay on when i shut off the car. Never have i owned a car that wont turn off the headlights when i shut off the car. Oh wells... cheap cheap cheap
EBMCS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
Acree

Drives: 13 CSB BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Is the correct place for the obligatory "Because Scion".....?

-Acree
Old 02-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Captain_Awesome_Pants

Drives: FR-S: Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post

-Acree
Haha... Well, no. Because my TC even had auto cut-off headlights as well as dim to dark interior lights. I bet some of this stuff will end up on later releases of the car.
Captain_Awesome_Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #11
Ben_G

Drives: Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpit View Post
No, at least not on Cdn models....... I've done what the OP has done....left the interior light switch in the "ON" position and came out the next day with it still lit. Twice.
Ben_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post

-Acree
No, because Racecar!

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:18 AM   #13
slickd

Drives: 2013 silver toyota 86 (high) man.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have a slight issue regarding my 2013 GT86 interior dome light. I replaced it with the square white led's (and to be honest I dont know if I somehow put the pos and neg the wrong way because I heard a slight burning sound and quickly removed the bulb before rotating and placing back in again). So as a result of my stupidity, when the light is in 'On' position, it burns perfectly, however when I put it in "Door" position, firstly it dims compared to when in 'On' position, and secondly it does not auto-off when I close the doors or even lock the car. Im assuming I possibly burn the wires somewhere, but I cant find any diagrams or vids showing me how to trace the wires and check. Ive managed to remove the headlining and A-pillar panel to check the wiring up to there, no visible damage. Ive checked the interior light fuses, all fine. So any advice or suggestions on the matter would be greatly appreciated
slickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:21 AM   #14
Mr_Eyo

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickd View Post
I have a slight issue regarding my 2013 GT86 interior dome light. I replaced it with the square white led's (and to be honest I dont know if I somehow put the pos and neg the wrong way because I heard a slight burning sound and quickly removed the bulb before rotating and placing back in again). So as a result of my stupidity, when the light is in 'On' position, it burns perfectly, however when I put it in "Door" position, firstly it dims compared to when in 'On' position, and secondly it does not auto-off when I close the doors or even lock the car. Im assuming I possibly burn the wires somewhere, but I cant find any diagrams or vids showing me how to trace the wires and check. Ive managed to remove the headlining and A-pillar panel to check the wiring up to there, no visible damage. Ive checked the interior light fuses, all fine. So any advice or suggestions on the matter would be greatly appreciated
Not all LED replacements are appropriate for our cars because of the way they're wired up. They're connected to the ECU and there is a non zero voltage applied to the dome light hi side even when the doors are closed. This voltage may be enough to forward bias and "light" certain LEDs. I had to test multiple LED replacements to ensure they would stay off when the doors are closed before I found one that fits the bill.
Mr_Eyo is offline   Reply With Quote