follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 02-11-2021, 04:58 PM   #15
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decimus View Post
How about those that had to swap A newer
Motor into the car? I dropped in a 2016 motor into my 2013 and loaded a 2016 OEM tune into the ecu via Ecutek. Is that going to cause any problems when its plugged in since it wont locate a 2013 map? I know the calibration code is different
Newer engine should be fine, I don't know about the 2016 map though

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:33 PM   #16
Cjymiller
Original 2013 Owner

Drives: 13 BRZ, Galaxy Blue Silica
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones_RB View Post
Curious whether or not Crawford Power Blocks will pass.
Interesting thought. I forget what color they made them but if they're black or silver maybe it will sneak by. Its not like you're modifying the intake since the Power Blocks are on the engine side of the throttle body... maybe I'm just being wishful there.
Perrin Headerback, OFH, OFT, Ohlins R&T MI20, 17x9 Weds TC105N, Hankook RS4 (235/40), TOM's JDM Tails, PCV AOS, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Rear Trans. Mount, Whiteline Shift Bushing, SS brake Lines, Hawk DTC60, Bayson R Lip Kit, LED Lighting , Smoked JDM Sidemarkers, Rear Fog Enable, Carsmo Armrest, Grimmspeed Plate Relocater
φφκα
Cjymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cjymiller For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (02-12-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 07:01 PM   #17
Cjymiller
Original 2013 Owner

Garage
TLDR: After replacing hardware and reflashing back to stock your car wont be immediately ready to smog. You'll need to drive around normally for a week or so to ensure all your sensors are re-activated.

I switched back to stock hardware and reflashed to the OEM tune. Drove out for 20 or so miles and then took the car to the smog shop. The pre-check showed the Oxygen Sensor, Catalytic Converter sensor, and Evap system were not yet active.

At the shop's recommendation, I took a drive out for 100 or so miles up in the hills. Upon my return, the O2 and Cat sensors had activated and were showing green, but the Evap sensor was not yet active. The shop said to let the car cool completely and before starting the next day, open up the fuel cap for 10 seconds and then close, before starting the car. Apparently this helps reset the Evap sensor. Otherwise, all I have to do is drive the car for about a week before the final sensor is good to go.
Perrin Headerback, OFH, OFT, Ohlins R&T MI20, 17x9 Weds TC105N, Hankook RS4 (235/40), TOM's JDM Tails, PCV AOS, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Rear Trans. Mount, Whiteline Shift Bushing, SS brake Lines, Hawk DTC60, Bayson R Lip Kit, LED Lighting , Smoked JDM Sidemarkers, Rear Fog Enable, Carsmo Armrest, Grimmspeed Plate Relocater
φφκα
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cjymiller For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (02-21-2021), Kaotic Lazagna (02-21-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 11:09 AM   #18
Silvermk2

Drives: Toyota Supra 2JZGTE VVTi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The EVAP usually you need to run like half a tank of gas thru the car to get them to clear. The fuel levels and air temp need to be right to get EVAP to clear.
Silvermk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:00 PM   #19
Cjymiller
Original 2013 Owner

Garage
Passed my smog but I am completely stock so this isn't a surprise.

What I found was that passing visual is 100% up to the tech's effort. He didn't look under my car, and he only gave my engine bay a glance. When I smogged an S2k a few years ago, I recalled that the smog tech was referencing exhaust images seemingly provided from the DMV on the computer, as the car was plugged in. One thing I noticed is the tech references two OEM stickers. One on the drivers door sill which he scans the barcode for quick vehicle details, and one that he needs to reference on the underside of the hood. Those of you with aftermarket hoods may not have that sticker and if he can't reference it, I'm not sure where the tech will get that information.
φφκα

Last edited by Cjymiller; 02-23-2021 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #20
BRZyJ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited / 2015 Q50S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjymiller View Post
What I found was that passing visual is 100% up to the tech's effort. He didn't look under my car, and he only gave my engine bay a glance.
Yeah that's the opposite of the guy that did mine...he was using articulated mirrors looking in the engine bay and noted my extra resonator when he was under the car.

Quote:
Those of you with aftermarket hoods may not have that sticker and if he can't reference it, I'm not sure where he will get that information.
I talked to the guy for a bit afterwards and he mentioned that specifically, to save that sticker somehow if I ever got a CF hood or whatever.

I told him everything I pulled off the car for the test and asked what I could have left on and still passed and he said "none of it", lol. Now I'm pretty sure some of it was okay according to CARB appendix G or whatever it is but in the end it's probably less of a headache to just pull everything off than try to argue about it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
BRZyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:08 PM   #21
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyFRS View Post
I tried to get my smog done yesterday but the tech said it would not pass because of my Radium catch can on the PCV side. I tried to argue that it's still a closed loop and does not vent to atmosphere. Even Radium says on their website that it should not be an issue for emissions testing. I removed the catch can and went back today and had no issues. I also have a TRD intake which removes the sound tube altogether. I have the tube capped off where it goes through the fire wall.
So here is the appendix that says closed loop air/oil separators are CARB exempt, but those exemptions may have been superseded by new regulations. I do see that there are some EO#s for air/oil separators listed on CARB's search engine. I'm curious if you printed that list and showed the guy if he would have waved you on.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf BAR Appendix G final 12-2009 Catch Can.pdf (234.9 KB, 140 views)
CandyFRS (03-05-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 10:31 PM   #22
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyFRS View Post
I tried to get my smog done yesterday but the tech said it would not pass because of my Radium catch can on the PCV side. I tried to argue that it's still a closed loop and does not vent to atmosphere. Even Radium says on their website that it should not be an issue for emissions testing. I removed the catch can and went back today and had no issues. I also have a TRD intake which removes the sound tube altogether. I have the tube capped off where it goes through the fire wall.
When you went back did you remove it entirely or just unhook the lines? Contemplating leaving mine in the engine bay and just tying the lines to the side

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
Old 03-05-2021, 11:46 AM   #23
CandyFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout 5AD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
So here is the appendix that says closed loop air/oil separators are CARB exempt, but those exemptions may have been superseded by new regulations. I do see that there are some EO#s for air/oil separators listed on CARB's search engine. I'm curious if you printed that list and showed the guy if he would have waved you on.
I tried to explain that it is still a closed loop, doesn't vent to atmosphere, all eom parts still in place. He didn't want to get into an argument and neither did I. Next time I'll bring this info with me or maybe someone else can try and see what their tech says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
When you went back did you remove it entirely or just unhook the lines? Contemplating leaving mine in the engine bay and just tying the lines to the side
I thought about doing that originally but it was only a couple more bolts to pull the whole thing out. I would think it would be fine since it's not hook up to anything.
CandyFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CandyFRS For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (03-05-2021), Irace86.2.0 (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 03:23 PM   #24
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
So a catback like the one from Perrin should be okay right? (with no other modifications)

Are all of the twins being heavily inspected? Mine has a pretty stock look aside form wheels and the perrin 2.5 catback, a quick plug and check is what I want.

I'm going to have to get mine smogged in June
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:38 PM   #25
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
So a catback like the one from Perrin should be okay right? (with no other modifications)

Are all of the twins being heavily inspected? Mine has a pretty stock look aside form wheels and the perrin 2.5 catback, a quick plug and check is what I want.

I'm going to have to get mine smogged in June
Catback is fine. How close they inspect it will vary by shop and technician.

The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
DandoX (03-05-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 07:41 PM   #26
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post

But weren’t you flapping your gums about how you knew someone that helps with hot smogs q(●‿●)p but your going this route ? U Must be a broke bish to not want to pay your boy to do the hot smog or you just wanting to throw shade. Stay in your lane primo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:36 PM   #27
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswbrz View Post
But weren’t you flapping your gums about how you knew someone that helps with hot smogs q(●‿●)p but your going this route ? U Must be a broke bish to not want to pay your boy to do the hot smog or you just wanting to throw shade. Stay in your lane primo.

I don't need one, I just know people lol

Maybe don't be a **** next time and you'll have better results.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:12 AM   #28
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
How bout you stop being a bitch, and help someone out instead of just bragging you know someone but yet you won’t use them yourself . Fuck off man .

mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote