follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #29
leon78

Drives: 13 Whiteout
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
I would think so... As long as his weight didn't exceed the GVWR determined by the O E M.
Dealer confirmed cause...."having a Fat A$$"
GunMetal 16x8+25 Enkei CompE_Cusco OCC_ Kartboy Crank Pulley_Kartboy TMM insert_Koni Yellows_RCE Springs_K&N Drop-In_Eibach FSB_J2 Catless FP_WhiteLine Camber Bolts_NameLess Track Pipe_RBF600_Ferodo DS2500_PTUNING Tuned.
Less parking more racing
leon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:33 PM   #30
Steve

Drives: 6MT
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Non OEM shift knob is too heavy causing excessive pressure on shifter fork which led to transmission failure...

Possibly after market license plate frame..
Due to their weight, aftermarket license plate frames cause excessive force on the screws holding the license plate and therefore void any and all power train warranty claims
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #31
Steve

Drives: 6MT
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahsbrah View Post
Thanks for all of the replies guys. Got quote heated as it is a very debatable topic.

I'm thinking about getting a nameless axelback, which I could swap the stock back on before any servicing. Definitely staying away from an intake as I've had a seized engine denied due to an intake alone.

Thoughts on the axelback?
IMO, You don't need to swap the axleback to SERVICE the car. Even if something went wrong with the car, I can't even think of an incident where an axleback exhaust would be the root cause of an issue that would normally be covered under warranty. An axleback is a sound/looks modification, even a headerback is fairly conservative mod that I can't really see any warranty claims denied due to, as there are no sensors beyond the header cat sending info to the engine.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #32
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon78 View Post
Dealer confirmed cause...."having a Fat A$$"
Now that doctors have classified obesity as a disease, it won't be long until being fat becomes a protected designation (like sex, race, etc), which means anti-discrimination protections...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
leon78 (06-20-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #33
Cyau

Drives: UltraMarine FRS MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Non OEM shift knob is too heavy causing excessive pressure on shifter fork which led to transmission failure...

Possibly after market license plate frame..
Not to OEM spec, if your window fell out, it's due to the aftermarket license plate frame... because of the different weight of the frame causes excessive rattle to the car...

Mod those at your own risk.
@dsgerbc am I correct on this?
Cyau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #34
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyau View Post
Not to OEM spec, if your window fell out, it's due to the aftermarket license plate frame... because of the different weight of the frame causes excessive rattle to the car...

Mod those at your own risk.
@dsgerbc am I correct on this?
Only an idiot can make that conclusion from what I wrote.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #35
vf1rwolfleader

Drives: '13 BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
It really depends on the dealer. If it gets to the point where you are citing law, unless you are a practicing lawyer of civil law, good luck. No one is really wrong here. If you can argue law good for you, you stand a fighting chance. IN COURT!! lol. I personally would rather save the time and money if it gets that far. Anywho, a car can be stock and still wont be covered in the warranty. Ex. Drive the s*** out of your car and burn out the clutch. Some will cover it and others won't. I find that being calm and understanding works. Just had o o this for the homelink mirror falling off my windshield yesterday. WOO!
vf1rwolfleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #36
bedabi

Drives: '13 CBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vf1rwolfleader View Post
It really depends on the dealer. If it gets to the point where you are citing law, unless you are a practicing lawyer of civil law, good luck. No one is really wrong here. If you can argue law good for you, you stand a fighting chance. IN COURT!! lol. I personally would rather save the time and money if it gets that far. Anywho, a car can be stock and still wont be covered in the warranty. Ex. Drive the s*** out of your car and burn out the clutch. Some will cover it and others won't. I find that being calm and understanding works. Just had o o this for the homelink mirror falling off my windshield yesterday. WOO!
I am a "practicing lawyer of civil law," or at least play one in courtrooms. This is the most sensible post in this thread. You can cite the M-M Act all you like to a dealership (and yes, it was initially intended to address manufacturers who voided warranties for people using less expensive OEM-spec parts by other manufacturers), but if they continue to say no to warranty work, your only real alternative is to take them to court.
bedabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bedabi For This Useful Post:
vf1rwolfleader (07-24-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 12:45 PM   #37
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedabi View Post
I am a "practicing lawyer of civil law," or at least play one in courtrooms. This is the most sensible post in this thread. You can cite the M-M Act all you like to a dealership (and yes, it was initially intended to address manufacturers who voided warranties for people using less expensive OEM-spec parts by other manufacturers), but if they continue to say no to warranty work, your only real alternative is to take them to court.
Awesome, Iv been called to court before as a automotive repair consult on claims, BTW pays a large chunk of change for the amount of time you spend in court.

Anyway, there are a list of parts developed by 3rd party major brands that are non-oem spec that can be bought at places NAPA, O'relies, Autozone, etc. That both do and do not void manufacture warranties.

That while some dealers will refute warranty work on lets say K&N drop in air filter that caused a CEL, the modification is not out of bounds by the law. Many times customers have to deal with two separate systems of LAW vs Policy to get the work needed on their vehicle.

M-M is there as a middle ground guide and has been used to protect consumers from warranty abuse, such as;
"A car went to a shop, had a brake caliper replaced with a new replacement non-oem part, brake fails and car crashes. Is it the fault of the shop, the part, or the driver? Lets say its the part at fault, so you take it in to the dealer to get it repaired, dealer denies warranty work, due to policy."

Warranties are really good for the majority of consumers in their first 3 years of ownership, as any problems that come up they don't have to worry about anything.

Warranties for us tuners/enthusiasts are a bit of a double edged sword and can cause you more headache than you can imagine because you have the illusion of manufacture protection which inhibits your freedom as a owner.

My recommendation is if you plan on doing any sort of mods, just forget about warranties all together.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #38
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Seems like few bothered to read this part:

Preventative Solutions/Tips:

1) Try to have your vehicle serviced at a dealership that is fair and reasonable with respect to vehicle modifications. Inquire as to the dealership's stance regarding modifications before going in for service with aftermarket parts installed. Some dealerships are owned by enthusiasts and they appreciate the modifications performed by owners, and other dealerships don't want to deal with the potential liability or headaches that come with servicing modified vehicles under warranty. There are many dealerships that take no issue with modifications such as air intakes, cat-back exhausts, lowering springs, and aftermarket wheels, but draw the line at more involved modifications such as forced induction or aftermarket tunes. Conversely, there are dealerships that will take issue with minor modifications such as an aftermarket air filter or an axle-back exhaust.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #39
Cyau

Drives: UltraMarine FRS MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
Only an idiot can make that conclusion from what I wrote.
hehe
Cyau is offline   Reply With Quote