follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #1
alexpham_

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Perrin Inlet Hose Safe Modification?

Roughly 5 months ago I installed the Perrin inlet hose mainly to clean up the engine bay and remove the sound generator tube. Keep in mind, I kept the stock airbox as I had plans on buying the Perrin CAI later down the line.

I was wondering if installing the inlet hose alone is a safe modification for my '16 AT FRS. I know it provides more airflow claiming for a small increase in horsepower, but is it safe for my engine and the air-fuel ratios? Does it make my car run lean? My exhaust set up is stock (stock headers, overpipe, and front pipe) except for my TRD-Catback. Also, I'm not tuned and am on stock ECU.

I guess I'm just getting paranoid that I may be slowly damaging my engine.

Thanks
alexpham_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
nah dont sweat it.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
brazy

Drives: '14 LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
the MAF sensor doesn't get touched.. so no. The change in AFR with such a simple modification will be next to nothing. Definitely not enough to cause accelerated wear. I installed a secondary catback exhuast, Perrin inlet pipe and Perrin drop-in filter. After they were all in, I reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery. Even that probably isn't even necessary, as you'll still be running the stock tune. But there's nothing to worry about.

Do check and make sure that there's ample clearance between the inlet pipe and the timing belt. When I first installed mine, there was room for about a sheet of cardstock paper in there. Don't want that belt to catch the silicone pipe while you're at 6500rpm.

By the way... "small" increase in horsepower is an overstatement. You will be lucky to see an actual +1whp on a dyno with just the inlet pipe.
brazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
No don't worry. This is a safe mod. Just without a tune your not getting maximum gains from the part.

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:08 AM   #5
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazy View Post

By the way... "small" increase in horsepower is an overstatement. You will be lucky to see an actual +1whp on a dyno with just the inlet pipe.
Stickers are a reliable and tested way to increase power
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NRXRaptor For This Useful Post:
brazy (12-18-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 02:16 AM   #6
alexpham_

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRXRaptor View Post
they included 5 stickers... so 5 each...25 hp sounds about right
alexpham_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
brazy

Drives: '14 LR BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRXRaptor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpham_ View Post
they included 5 stickers... so 5 each...25 hp sounds about right
My mistake. Perrin stickers will certainly yield whp increases. You can also shed some weight by replacing your state-issued license plate(s) with the stickers for even more performance.
brazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:32 PM   #8
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazy View Post
the MAF sensor doesn't get touched.. so no. The change in AFR with such a simple modification will be next to nothing. Definitely not enough to cause accelerated wear. I installed a secondary catback exhuast, Perrin inlet pipe and Perrin drop-in filter. After they were all in, I reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery. Even that probably isn't even necessary, as you'll still be running the stock tune. But there's nothing to worry about.

Do check and make sure that there's ample clearance between the inlet pipe and the timing belt. When I first installed mine, there was room for about a sheet of cardstock paper in there. Don't want that belt to catch the silicone pipe while you're at 6500rpm.

yep i have mine on my 17 brz and i notice no differnce other than when i cruse on the turnpike at 80 i can hear myself think and talk to the person in the other seat. been running fine for 1/2 a year
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote