follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
BRZ LTD battery drain issue, can't stop open door beep

Since I bought my BRZ LTD, I've had an annoying issue where the car beeps at me every time I open the door after shutting off the car. Every time, without fail, it has the "ding ding ding" tone as if I left my lights on or keys in the ignition. When I leave the lights on, it's a solid tone.

Obviously I don't have keys for the ignition.

The other issue I've had is that after one week parked, the car is hard to start. Twice I've come back after leave or training (once for less than 12 days, once for 29 days) and the car's been dead.

I've taken the car to the dealership (Hanson Subaru in Olympia) numerous times to try to have them turn off the dinging noise in the optional settings, but they haven't been able to or they're incompetent (I'm thinking both).

I don't know if this is related to the wireless entry system, but I'm starting to think there may be a short or a grounding issue. I've never had a new battery in a new car suck so hard at being parked in a garage.

TL;DR:
My question: Has anyone with the same setup had the same issue? Does your car beep when you stop the engine and open the door, regardless of the lights being on or off?

And has anyone had an issue with the battery not lasting long? I know when your parking it for more than a few weeks you're supposed to disconnect the negative battery terminal, but having it go dead after 10 days is ridiculous.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Try shutting off car completely BEFORE opening door, see if it stops the ding. Mine did this too until I learned what was causing it.
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Turn the car off with the door closed, then open the door. No beeps.

Leave the lights on auto, they'll turn themselves off after a minute or so.

I've not had a problem with the battery, that sounds like there's a drain in the system somewhere. Maybe an aftermarket radio or amplifier isn't turning off properly? Or a radar detector?
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
Wheeljack

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I believe I have a similar issue, or two similar issues. First off, my car will only beep if I have opened the door before turning off the car. If the doors are closed when I turn the car off, the car stays quiet.
On the second issue, there have been a few times where I've tried to start the car, and nothing has happened. The first time, I pressed the start button, moved the key next to the start button and pressed it again, yet still nothing happened. I opened the door, and the window didn't move. I opened the hood to check and see if the battery somehow magically disconnected itself. Everything was fine there. I got back in the car, tried the head lights. Nothing. Honked the horn. That worked. It literally woke the car up and everything started. This happened two other times. Once, I needed to use the manual key to open the door. I got the car started by turning on the headlights. That seem to wake up the car again. Another time, when the car wouldn't start in a parking garage, I messed around with things for about 10 minuets. Nothing happened. I was about to give up and call road side assistance when I pressed the start button and it randomly came to life. The last time the car has done this was when my wife was driving. The clutch up take is different from her impresa and she stalled it pulling into a parking space. No big deal except the car failed to respond when she pressed the start button. I then had the idea to grab our keys, walk away from the car, and then walk back. That did it. No big deal in a parking lot, but that could have been scary in a busy intersection. I'm going to take it to a dealership next week and see what they say. I'm at a loss at this point. I have let the car sit for a few weeks since I've been out of work for some medical stuff. That may be a contributing factor. I'll let you know what the folks at the dealer say.
Wheeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeljack View Post
I believe I have a similar issue, or two similar issues. First off, my car will only beep if I have opened the door before turning off the car. If the doors are closed when I turn the car off, the car stays quiet.
On the second issue, there have been a few times where I've tried to start the car, and nothing has happened. The first time, I pressed the start button, moved the key next to the start button and pressed it again, yet still nothing happened. I opened the door, and the window didn't move. I opened the hood to check and see if the battery somehow magically disconnected itself. Everything was fine there. I got back in the car, tried the head lights. Nothing. Honked the horn. That worked. It literally woke the car up and everything started. This happened two other times. Once, I needed to use the manual key to open the door. I got the car started by turning on the headlights. That seem to wake up the car again. Another time, when the car wouldn't start in a parking garage, I messed around with things for about 10 minuets. Nothing happened. I was about to give up and call road side assistance when I pressed the start button and it randomly came to life. The last time the car has done this was when my wife was driving. The clutch up take is different from her impresa and she stalled it pulling into a parking space. No big deal except the car failed to respond when she pressed the start button. I then had the idea to grab our keys, walk away from the car, and then walk back. That did it. No big deal in a parking lot, but that could have been scary in a busy intersection. I'm going to take it to a dealership next week and see what they say. I'm at a loss at this point. I have let the car sit for a few weeks since I've been out of work for some medical stuff. That may be a contributing factor. I'll let you know what the folks at the dealer say.
That sounds like you have some major gremlins in your car. I haven't had any issues like that, mine was definitely a dead battery because it tried to crank and failed both times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by White64Goat View Post
Try shutting off car completely BEFORE opening door, see if it stops the ding. Mine did this too until I learned what was causing it.
It still dings if I completely shut it off and open the door. There's no way for me to turn it off or get it to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Turn the car off with the door closed, then open the door. No beeps.

Leave the lights on auto, they'll turn themselves off after a minute or so.

I've not had a problem with the battery, that sounds like there's a drain in the system somewhere. Maybe an aftermarket radio or amplifier isn't turning off properly? Or a radar detector?
I do have a radar detector, but it's plugged into the switched power outlet in the glovebox, and it wasn't plugged in when I was gone for a month. I'll test it with a multimeter when I get home to see if it's drawing any power.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
Moskoi

Drives: Subaru BRZ 6MT WRB
Check your battery voltage when the car is off and when the car is on. You should read around 12.5v and 14.4v respectively. Anything way below that potentially means a bad battery or a bad alternator.

You can check the battery current leak by connecting an amp-meter between the battery post and the battery cable (wait for a minute before testing that after shutting the car off, I know the HVAC moves a minute after shutting the car off, same for the interior lights, etc). When the car is off, you should read something close to 0, like 0.02 amps. Anything higher that 0.1 amps will drain the battery after a few days.

Like, if you got a significant current leak, take off the fuse in the fuse box one by one, until the amp meter shows a normal current value (close to 0). You'll know which circuit is leaking current.

It's hard to tell exact numbers by guessing, since the car has a key fob circuit that is probably checking for a key fob nearby every two seconds. This probably sucks battery power all the time.
Moskoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:07 PM   #7
zinzan

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2014 Limited WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Make sure your trunk is completely closed. There's a recent thread about this, but some of us have had a dead battery after letting the car sit a few days and later found the trunk was not completely closed.

Unlike previous cars of mine, it can be very difficult to tell that the trunk is completely closed without physically checking. Even though the trunk lid is completely down, the trunk light will continue to run, though no light will leak out of the car.

I always physically check now.

I have found that the trunk had more of a tendency to remain open without a firm slam when it was newer. It closes completely by just dropping the lid now.

-Z
Old 07-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Garage
Well I definitely found one self-inflicted wound, I left my bluetooth OBD2 reader in, and it stays on when the car's off. Although I didn't have it when I was gone for a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzan View Post
Make sure your trunk is completely closed. There's a recent thread about this, but some of us have had a dead battery after letting the car sit a few days and later found the trunk was not completely closed.
-Z
I've never had that problem, but I did notice the threads about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskoi View Post
Check your battery voltage when the car is off and when the car is on. You should read around 12.5v and 14.4v respectively. Anything way below that potentially means a bad battery or a bad alternator.

You can check the battery current leak by connecting an amp-meter between the battery post and the battery cable (wait for a minute before testing that after shutting the car off, I know the HVAC moves a minute after shutting the car off, same for the interior lights, etc). When the car is off, you should read something close to 0, like 0.02 amps. Anything higher that 0.1 amps will drain the battery after a few days.

Like, if you got a significant current leak, take off the fuse in the fuse box one by one, until the amp meter shows a normal current value (close to 0). You'll know which circuit is leaking current.

It's hard to tell exact numbers by guessing, since the car has a key fob circuit that is probably checking for a key fob nearby every two seconds. This probably sucks battery power all the time.
I'll do this check when I get home, I doubt the bluetooth OBD2 reader would drain the battery in less than 10 days.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:07 PM   #9
Auror_Elite

Drives: FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayJesus View Post
Well I definitely found one self-inflicted wound, I left my bluetooth OBD2 reader in, and it stays on when the car's off. Although I didn't have it when I was gone for a month.

I've never had that problem, but I did notice the threads about it.

I'll do this check when I get home, I doubt the bluetooth OBD2 reader would drain the battery in less than 10 days.

IT happened to me now the trunk lid are not shut properly my car now run dead for few days without use.I tried to start jumper but no luck I don't know what to do now any idea guys please help I need to use the car its friday with a good weather!thanks for any help!
Auror_Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #10
SteveIsBored

Drives: 2013 subaru brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskoi View Post

Most oems will tell u anything less then .5 amp is spec. Also if disconnect the battery u are putting all modules to sleep and could be masking or temp solving the issue. If u disconnect the battery u want to turn the key on and engine off to power up all modules then turn key off and wait to see if u have a draw above a .5 amp after about thirty minutes as some modules will take up to that to completely fall asleep. It's also recommended that u leave the doors open and engage the latches so the computer thinks the doors are closed that way u can access any junction boxes inside the vehicle without waking up the car again. With keyless entry don't leave the key in or near the vehicle because that will wake the kvm(keyless vecjile module)
SteveIsBored is offline   Reply With Quote