follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-16-2020, 12:53 AM   #15
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You're assuming the invoice wasn't lazily copy-pasted from another invoice.

I've known enough service writers to know that half of them couldn't tell you the difference between gear oil and engine oil without the sticker on the bottle. another healthy dose couldn't tell you what gear oil even is, but the tech said you needed it, and it had a book time listing in the quote system.
Old 07-16-2020, 11:50 AM   #16
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockMonkey View Post
Its just like I said. If I am driving around normally it doesn't happen. But if I try to shift at high RPM, like when accelerating on an on ramp it crunches. The higher the rpm the more noticeable the crunch.
Try being a little more deliberate with your shifts. After 3 years of driving the car I went to an IRP short shifter and started having the same issues shifting at high RPM. Just holding the clutch pedal down a fraction of a second longer before making the shift and it went away.
humfrz (07-16-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 09:40 AM   #17
Immaculate Fury

Drives: 2014 Red BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Putting this video in about gear oils from a transmission expert. Skip to 11 minutes in to get the relevant material

Maybe somebody will find this information useful
Immaculate Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Immaculate Fury For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (07-17-2020), humfrz (07-18-2020), SockMonkey (07-19-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 12:30 AM   #18
JohnH
Professional wrench

Drives: 2020 BRZ ST RS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I don't know specifically about our cars, but I am a liscenced tech and if a car doesn't specify the use of GL5 and you put GL5 in it, you will ruin the soft metals/yellow metals. Those are what your synchro rings are made of. The additives in GL5 attack yellow metals over time, causing premature wear. Worn synchros give you the symptoms you are speaking of.

I also know that there are some modern GL5 rated oils that are made NOT to damage yellow metals, so you could use those.
JohnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:20 AM   #19
Oxyg3n

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
I don't know specifically about our cars, but I am a liscenced tech and if a car doesn't specify the use of GL5 and you put GL5 in it, you will ruin the soft metals/yellow metals. Those are what your synchro rings are made of. The additives in GL5 attack yellow metals over time, causing premature wear. Worn synchros give you the symptoms you are speaking of.

I also know that there are some modern GL5 rated oils that are made NOT to damage yellow metals, so you could use those.
I'm super conflicted since knowledge points to don't use GL5 but Subaru's OEM fluid is GL5. 2017 Brz manual does specify GL3/4/5 though but if our syncros are brass I wonder why.

Do you know how extreme the pre-mature wear is using GL5?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
Oxyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:00 PM   #20
SockMonkey

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
That's exactly what I don't understand... In the 13-16 owners manual it just says GL-3 or higher grade (something to that extent). But then in 17+ it says GL 3/4/5. But the transmissions are identical from what I can find. So they literally recommend using oil that could cause serious damage to the transmission. This is kind of why I don't think I will pursue this with them. They will probably just point to that and say GL-5 is fine to use.
SockMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:33 PM   #21
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
It's your clutch throw-out bearing (TOB) gone bad. They get fried every 55,000 miles or whatever. Get the revised updated part installed and your shifts should be crisp again. Also recommend installing the whiteline / perrin positive shift kit.

Also change your transmission fluid and differential fluid whenever you feel like! I change mine every 35,000 miles! I use motul gear 300. My car is at 135,000 miles if you want a reference.

didn't read any other posts in this thread lol.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:10 AM   #22
chipmunk

Drives: _
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
For whatever it is worth.... I haven't read previous posts, so if someone already mentioned this... oh well!
GL3 & GL4 oils do not have as much additives as an GL5. The theory is that the additives build up a protective sacrificial layer on ferrous materials to prevent wear & tear. The more pressure and temperature, the better the ZDDP film build up. However, this protective layer can be harder than the yellow metals. So in an event of extreme shock, the protective layer will take away the yellow metals with it and cause pitting. That's why GL5 is not recommended for synchro transmissions.

BUT... I emailed Subaru customer service, and they said that as long as it's Subaru transmission oil, it should be fine. I don't expect much expertise from a customer service guy, so I didn't nag him too him.

Anyway, back to your car....

You picked a car that has almost 60k miles. Who knows what the previous owner did/didn't with maintenance. If the dealership put GL5 recently, it won't be long enough for it to be the cause. It is most likely the previous owner.
And yes, it does sound like a synchro issue. That does not mean that the synchro tips are rounded off or blunt, it could also mean it's not getting enough friction. If there is no physical damage, then a simple oil change will fix it. But if there is (not to sound negative), hopefully the dealership might help you out since you just bought I from them.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Mechanisms-of-antiwear-tribofilm-ZDDP.pdf (1.13 MB, 159 views)

Last edited by chipmunk; 07-22-2020 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Added a PDF article
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #23
radroach

@SockMonkey @chipmunk
I've been using Motul Gear 300 GL-5 in the transmission and diff for over 100,000 miles (changed regularly) and never had an issue with it. If I ever had a problem with shifting, it was because the throw out bearing burning itself up, or the transmission mount having too much flex and lash when shifting (fixed with whiteline part).

Its your throw out bearing. At your mileage its very common for the factory throw out bearing to go out, cause crunching shifts. Get the new revised throw out bearing and your shifts will be crisp again.
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 10:31 AM   #24
chipmunk

Drives: _
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
@SockMonkey @chipmunk
Its your throw out bearing. At your mileage its very common for the factory throw out bearing to go out, cause crunching shifts. Get the new revised throw out bearing and your shifts will be crisp again.
Yea but he's saying it only happens at 3rd-4th gear shift.
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 02:46 PM   #25
SockMonkey

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Exactly, 3rd to 4th. I can quickly shift 1-2 2-3 at high rpm with not much trouble, but that 3-4 always crunches if i try too quickly over say 4.5-5k rpm. And if you google that specifically, 3rd to 4th crunch, (which i did over the last few days) you'll find many threads from 2013-2014 with people complaining about the same issue. But subaru simply replaced their transmissions under warranty. So now it makes be wonder if maybe this is just a defect from the beginning and the original owner never noticed.

I'm pretty confident maintenance and what not was done well by the previous 2 owners, even had decent paperwork (such as the invoice I mentioned from last year).

And I thought Motul was GL-4 and 5. Like its doesn't have the additives typical GL-5's have, but it still met the requirements.

Anyway, as of right now, im going to just change the oil with some good GL-4, and probably not pursue Subaru. If it becomes an bigger problem or doesn't go away with new oil, I'll just swap the tranny when I do the clutch. I'm leaning towards Amsoil MTG but I've read good things about Redline's MT-90. I can get the Amsoil locally too, haven't found MT-90 yet though.
SockMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:20 AM   #26
Immaculate Fury

Drives: 2014 Red BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Anyway, as of right now, im going to just change the oil with some good GL-4, and probably not pursue Subaru. If it becomes an bigger problem or doesn't go away with new oil, I'll just swap the tranny when I do the clutch. I'm leaning towards Amsoil MTG but I've read good things about Redline's MT-90. I can get the Amsoil locally too, haven't found MT-90 yet though.
I'm also planning on doing a transmission swap. I ordered a set of the carbon fiber/brass synchro rings from Synchrotech and will be replacing the synchros in a spare transmission I ordered off eBay. I also use the Amsoil in my transmission and honestly, especially in the cold climates of Northern Alberta, the auto parts store Redline fluid was much better suited for my uses. The redline was more solid down low and didn't grind, but up high it often grinded. The Amsoil fluid grinds down low but is flawless up high in the tach. But I won't be using an Amsoil fluid again in there. Not suitable enough for my uses

I'm thinking that whoever owned my car before me blew up the transmission in this car. I've only owned it for around 7k miles and I already feel like the synchro rings are worn out. Hoping the aftermarket synchros will help me
Immaculate Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 05:12 PM   #27
BleedingRust

Drives: BRZ S
Did you ever find out what it was? I have a used 2015 and it's the same. 3-4 crunch only when fast shifting or high rpm close to redline.
BleedingRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 06:41 PM   #28
radroach

Adjust your clutch engagement point. A half-turn fixed all my clutch / clearance issues after I sorted the drivetrain flex with the positive shift and positive traction kits.