follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-12-2020, 02:23 AM   #1
fitcious

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
J02 recall valve springs question

Hi all,

Registration renewal came today and good news, no need for smog for my 2013 FRS. Bad news, canít register until J02 valve spring recall is done. Iíve been holding it off since Iíve heard so many horror stories.

Question- I plan on having them do the spark plugs since they are in the engine already and I will save on labor. How many of you whoíve done the recall also had them do the water pump and serpentine belt?

I would imagine the success rate for the recall is better now?

Thanks
fitcious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:16 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 24,213 Times in 13,275 Posts
Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Well, I haven't had the recall work done, but, having the spark plugs changed sounds like a good idea to me. As far as the belt, I'd suggest you have it replaced, only if it looks bad. In reference to the water pump, I'd go with "if it ain't broke, why fix it".
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
fitcious (06-12-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 02:42 AM   #3
milanojess

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I didnít do the water pump, but elected to replace to bearing instead. Just cost of part and yes plugs also.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:22 PM   #4
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 4,477 Times in 2,511 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Make sure you ask what they will charge you for the add-ons before you make an appointment and double check when you bring it in. If they insist on full price, find a different dealership, they probably have no idea what they are doing anyway.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
fitcious (06-15-2020), humfrz (06-13-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 11:36 AM   #5
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
In reference to the water pump, I'd go with "if it ain't broke, why fix it".
General rule is if your car is getting serviced,and they are pulling stuff out that makes it easy to replace the water pump(i.e.,clutch,timing chain/belt),do it. You'll just end up playing 2x the labor when you actually have to get it done.
Th3rdSun is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Th3rdSun For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #6
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,120 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitcious View Post
Hi all,

Registration renewal came today and good news, no need for smog for my 2013 FRS. Bad news, canít register until J02 valve spring recall is done. Iíve been holding it off since Iíve heard so many horror stories.

Question- I plan on having them do the spark plugs since they are in the engine already and I will save on labor. How many of you whoíve done the recall also had them do the water pump and serpentine belt?

I would imagine the success rate for the recall is better now?

Thanks
When my recall was done, I had them do the spark plugs and revised throw out bearing and asked the technician to notify me of anything that looked like it needed attention... when they had the engine out they called back and basically asked how long I intended to keep the car and said the clutch was okay, but if I was in for the long haul there would never be a better time. In my case the water pump and serpentine belts were not recommended. They even let me go back and inspect the clutch for myself... and the assessment was accurate.

A long winded way of saying that if you have a decent dealership service department you can ask for their opinion for free, and then make your decision. Dealership service departments and technicians vary greatly... so YMMV.
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:47 PM   #7
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
General rule is if your car is getting serviced,and they are pulling stuff out that makes it easy to replace the water pump(i.e.,clutch,timing chain/belt),do it. You'll just end up playing 2x the labor when you actually have to get it done.
Well, generally, I would agree with you, if the part in question is a "wear" item or that part has a history of having to be replaced.

However, with the water pump on these cars, I haven't seen (on this forum at least) that they have a history of going bad.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:29 AM   #8
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, generally, I would agree with you, if the part in question is a "wear" item or that part has a history of having to be replaced.

However, with the water pump on these cars, I haven't seen (on this forum at least) that they have a history of going bad.

I've not heard about them going bad either,but it is a part that has moving parts,so chances are,it will go bad,it's just a question of when.

If you are getting work done and don't have a lot of mile on the car(-50k) then maybe you wouldn't have to worry about it,but anything over that,an OEM replacement is around $150,so it would definitely be worth it to change it out just for peace of mind.

The biggest issue with car ownership is that owners almost always replace parts after they go bad instead of before they do. Preventative maintenance will usually save you more money in the long run,but most people never abide by the recommended suggestions of parts replacement.Of all of the parts in your car,the water pump is definitely a part that should be replaced before it goes bad.
Th3rdSun is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Th3rdSun For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-16-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 01:27 AM   #9
humfrz

Quote:
I've not heard about them going bad either,but it is a part that has moving parts,so chances are,it will go bad,it's just a question of when.

If you are getting work done and don't have a lot of mile on the car(-50k) then maybe you wouldn't have to worry about it,but anything over that,an OEM replacement is around $150,so it would definitely be worth it to change it out just for peace of mind.

The biggest issue with car ownership is that owners almost always replace parts after they go bad instead of before they do. Preventative maintenance will usually save you more money in the long run,but most people never abide by the recommended suggestions of parts replacement.Of all of the parts in your car,the water pump is definitely a part that should be replaced before it goes bad.
Oh, my - well, I do believe in preventative maintenance. About replacing non consumable parts of of an ICE before they show signs of going bad, brings to mind this statement by the CEO of Proctor & Gamble, way back in the day, when they were known to be leaders in marketing skills.

If front of a shareholders meeting, he was asked why his advertising budget was so big and couldn't it be reduced. He replied "I know I waste 50% of our advertising budget, but, I don't know which 50%".

Old 06-17-2020, 02:22 AM   #10
fitcious

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

Car currently sits at 45k.
fitcious is offline   Reply With Quote