follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-16-2021, 12:20 PM   #1
Gamabouy

Drives: '14 Black GT86 AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Post Used 86 PPI Results, need advice

Let me preface this by saying that in my region it is really hard to find a toyaburu that is not abused or with sketchy history, the car I currently have eyes on is a 2014 Orange Toyota 86 with 123k miles on it, it is an automatic with service history. It has a custom Carbon Fiber hood, a custom spoiler and a muffler delete. It is the only car I have driven out of 5 that doesn't have any weird noise or transmission jerk.

I had it checked with a mechanic and the report is as follows:

-Valve Cover Gasket LH/RH oil leak, requires engine to be dropped and seals to be changed. **

-Engine undertray bend, minor, does not need to be fixed.

-Mismatched tires (3 dunlop, 1 kumho, spare is a dunlop)

-Front Stabilizer Boot damaged

-engine mounts L and R, weak not broken

-shock mounts front L and R

-driver door side minor dent

-4 rims curb rash

-rear brake disc needs polishing

** He says this is the most important part to be fixed and costs about $650 for the parts and labor.

RECOMMENDED BUT NOT NECESSARY:

-Spark Plug

-Spark Plug Seats

-Ignition Coils

-Rear crankshaft oil seal

-Torque Converter oil seal

The rest of the car checked out properly, he said there was no issues with the transmission and the engine seemed strong without any issues, unfortunately I couldn't have a compression test done within the given timeframe. I drove it on the freeway and it was pretty smooth despite not having the OEM Michelin tires and mismatched Dunlop/Kumho tires.

Any thoughts on what to replace as soon as I get the car? Are these stuff that are considered normal wear given the age?
Gamabouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:00 PM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
If this is the best you've found, I'd go with a car that is in great shape with a bad transmission- at least the transmission is straight forward to get replaced, this car has been neglected. Don't buy a neglected car.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (03-16-2021), RToyo86 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 01:31 PM   #3
Gamace

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Avoid that car and look for something else. Less chance of getting a headache from unforseen repairs.

Toyota 86 in the building!
Gamace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:46 PM   #4
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamabouy View Post
Let me preface this by saying that in my region it is really hard to find a toyaburu that is not abused or with sketchy history, the car I currently have eyes on is a 2014 Orange Toyota 86 with 123k miles on it, it is an automatic with service history. It has a custom Carbon Fiber hood, a custom spoiler and a muffler delete. It is the only car I have driven out of 5 that doesn't have any weird noise or transmission jerk.

-Valve Cover Gasket LH/RH oil leak, requires engine to be dropped and seals to be changed. **

-4 rims curb rash

** He says this is the most important part to be fixed and costs about $650 for the parts and labor.

-Spark Plug

-Spark Plug Seats

-Ignition Coils

The rest of the car checked out properly, he said there was no issues with the transmission and the engine seemed strong without any issues, unfortunately I couldn't have a compression test done within the given timeframe. I drove it on the freeway and it was pretty smooth despite not having the OEM Michelin tires and mismatched Dunlop/Kumho tires.

Any thoughts on what to replace as soon as I get the car? Are these stuff that are considered normal wear given the age?
Just curious... how much do they want for it?

I've recently since a classified on the French 86 facebook group advertising an 86 sold out of Dubaï for 16 000€ w/ transportation to France, and possibly import duties. It was a silver car with black wheels. Tried to find it again but couldn't.

I've taken as meaning 86s are cheap in the emirates.

Overall, I agree with the others that this isn't a car one should buy. The mismatched tires + straight pipe are the worst signs for me, as they point towards previous owners that didn't treat the car well. I'm also surprised by the low cost of repairs!
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:04 PM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Running into the whole "there are loads of them in the USA" reply trap again.
It could very well be that this is indeed a "good" one when the selection is so limited in Dubai. There are areas of the world where getting one at all is a challenge and waiting for a better deal or best condition may mean not getting one at all.

Now, that said, I personally would avoid this one like the plague. There are just so, so many warning signs. If it is a case of this or nothing maybe but only if the price was low enough to be prepared to fix all the hidden things that can still go wrong. The all four wheels being curb rashed is a big one in my eyes. How hard was it smacked? There are a pile of things that could be invisibly damaged or prematurely worn. Maybe be OK if it was just a case of poor spatial perception and they were gently run across a curb but all four?
daiheadjai (03-16-2021), DarkPira7e (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 05:23 PM   #6
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Running into the whole "there are loads of them in the USA" reply trap again.
I disagree here- I think all of us are in agreement that this is a piss poor example no matter what availability looks like. Should just buy new if this is the state of the used market there!
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 05:50 PM   #7
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

-4 rims curb rash

-Spark Plug

-Spark Plug Seats

-Ignition Coils

You could take any 2014 from anywhere in the world and come up with a list like this. Engines seep oil it is normal, now if the oil leaving a puddle on the ground different issue. My biggest question is why you would want to polish the rear brake disks?
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 05:59 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I disagree here- I think all of us are in agreement that this is a piss poor example no matter what availability looks like. Should just buy new if this is the state of the used market there!
Agree I would not buy it but that does not change the fact that with very limited numbers available it may be the best of the best! New is not always an option.
Old 03-16-2021, 06:06 PM   #9
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yikes - that looks like a financial pit and a big dose of remorse/regret waiting to happen.
If you're not in urgent need of a car, I'd wait.
And if you're in urgent need of a car, I'd get something else (e.g. a beater Corolla or Honda Fit or similar) until a better 86 pops up.
This car definitely sounds like it was abused.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-16-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 09:19 PM   #10
Gamabouy

Welp, I guess no Toyaburu for me then. The only other options have been:

a 2016 WRB BRZ with 2 owners, 54k miles and with partial service history, HOWEVER, it had an entire engine rebuild at 49k miles because the guy had it serviced at some garage which caused the engine to fail prematurely (knocking) . He did have it completely rebuilt with warranty remaining but I don't think I would trust a car that had the short block, fuel pump, oil pump, etc changed within a short period and after it had those sketchy service garages. I didn't bother test driving this.

a 2016 with 67K miles, no service history for the past 10k miles, the ones before were with the dealer. I took it for a test drive and every gear shift would have this sudden jerk in the car and you would have to let go of the gas for it to slow down and then shift (I was not even flooring it, just under 4K RPM). Based on the place and how the car was being shown to be through a home caretaker, I can safely assume the car was abused and not well taken care of.

both options are about $2K more than the 2014 86, a price I am completely fine with paying but these cars genuinely seem to be in much worse mechanical state than the 86 I saw and inspected. The high mileage is due to intercity travel on the freeway and to quote the owner "I am a female and so I don't push the car like some of these other guys in the 86 community do".
Old 03-16-2021, 09:21 PM   #11
Gamabouy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
If this is the best you've found, I'd go with a car that is in great shape with a bad transmission- at least the transmission is straight forward to get replaced, this car has been neglected. Don't buy a neglected car.
The ones with sketchy transmission and jerks have no service history whatsoever. This has been serviced with the dealer until 2018 and then at a private garage that also has records for the services. But alas, if it is something I should step away from, I shall.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gamabouy For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-17-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 09:23 PM   #12
Gamabouy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
Just curious... how much do they want for it?

I've recently since a classified on the French 86 facebook group advertising an 86 sold out of Dubaï for 16 000€ w/ transportation to France, and possibly import duties. It was a silver car with black wheels. Tried to find it again but couldn't.

I've taken as meaning 86s are cheap in the emirates.

Overall, I agree with the others that this isn't a car one should buy. The mismatched tires + straight pipe are the worst signs for me, as they point towards previous owners that didn't treat the car well. I'm also surprised by the low cost of repairs!
$8K, which is the cheapest I have found for a car that has a service history, single owner and no record of accidents.

The $650 was just for the valve cover seals (including labor).
Old 03-16-2021, 09:27 PM   #13
Gamabouy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
You could take any 2014 from anywhere in the world and come up with a list like this. Engines seep oil it is normal, now if the oil leaving a puddle on the ground different issue. My biggest question is why you would want to polish the rear brake disks?
It wasn't leaking continuously and creating a puddle but there was oil residue in the parts around the seal.
Polish the rear rotors because there was a groove on one of them (probably debris between pad and disc)
Old 03-17-2021, 04:38 AM   #14
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
$8K, which is the cheapest I have found for a car that has a service history, single owner and no record of accidents.

The $650 was just for the valve cover seals (including labor).
Well that's what's going on. It's a bottom-of-the-barrel price, so you might get a bottom-of-the-barrel car

You're not taking much of a risk at this price point. A decent European used 86 with these miles would set you back nearly twice as much.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, gt86, oil-leak, ppi