follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List
timurrrr

Old 08-02-2022, 12:14 AM   #267
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,296 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Can’t tag Toyota, won’t let me on IG.
Tag @TOYOTAusa, not @Toyota. Works for me and other folks.
NoHaveMSG (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 05:35 AM   #268
RyanGreener

Drives: 2023 BRZ Allocation
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Jack from Savage Geese reposted my story on IG. He has 8k followers.

Awesome stuff. I contacted SavageGeese and some other social media figures via their email contact on YT. Glad to see this can get more traction.
RyanGreener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:57 AM   #269
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
What do you mean by shear lack of inspection? It looks like the cars being taken back to the dealers are being inspected. If you're talking about on the line. It's just not feasible, to pull the pan, remove the ATV, reapply by hand, and put back into the line. Because even if there isn't excess, it will have to be taken back down to a clean surface and reapplied.

I really think some of you are blowing this WAY out of proportion.
He said they didn't want to inspect his engine - perhaps it wasn't until later? They never mentioned the sealant, even though he showed them - perhaps they don't think that could be related to oil starvation...

Look I don't know man, but I do not like the amount of garbage sitting in those strainers and being found in the pan of almost everyone who has taken them apart. I wouldn't of though that was an overaction, I see it as a large amount of foreign matter in the oil that has the potential to degrade reliability through a number of ways.

Not only that, because its not exactly part of the car people are going to go open up all the time, nor something that is checked during regular services, its an issue that proves to be difficult to have the manufacturer admit to as a common issue.

I would really like to see some pictures of cars without being stuffed with grey goo honestly. Surely it cant be every car...

Last edited by Blighty; 08-02-2022 at 09:35 AM.
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 08:15 AM   #270
Blighty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not to mention that Toyota doesn’t make the damn things to start with
Firstly I don't really care who's plant it is. I own a BRZ, but this person owned a GR86 and so Toyota is the company obligated by law.

Secondly they sell it, in reality they had plenty of engineers that worked on the project, they are more than willing to say in every advertisement that they developed it, and they own a big chunk of the company where the car comes of the line...

Toyota doesn't get a pass because it "doesn’t make the damn things to start with", it did, in fact, start with them.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:47 AM   #271
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
Firstly I don't really care who's plant it is. I own a BRZ, but this person owned a GR86 and so Toyota is the company obligated by law.

Secondly they sell it, in reality they had plenty of engineers that worked on the project, they are more than willing to say in every advertisement that they developed it, and they own a big chunk of the company where the car comes of the line...

Toyota doesn't get a pass because it "doesn’t make the damn things to start with", it did, in fact, start with them.
Don't get your knickers in a knot!
I didn't say they should get a pass nor that they are not responsible for the cars they sell. I said that they don't make the bloody things so can't inspect at the point of manufacture.
This is a MANUFACTURING issue and the plant making the error is ultimately tasked with correcting it.

Toyota has a 20% share in Subaru. This is not a controlling level.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:02 AM   #272
Robertw

Drives: 1996 Turbo Miata
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aon View Post
Providing a summary of my situation via a copy-paste of my Facebook post.
That's horrible. Is it true Toyota corporate also denied the claim? If so, a precedent has been set, and this is going to be a huge problem for owners of this sports car. Every piece of marketing shows these cars drifting, and racing. Then a warranty claim is denied over an autox event, the least demanding form of motorsport. On top of that, Toyota creeping on social media looking for ways to deny a warranty claim is the icing on the cake.

Gazoo Racing, more like Gazoo Daily Driving.
Robertw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robertw For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 09:18 AM   #273
Petah78

Drives: 2022 BRZ sport-tech
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
STI/TRD/GR add ons are considered manufacturer parts and fully covered by warranty.
This is kind of my point in post #222. https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...&postcount=222

While i am not certain if dealers will install non-STi branded parts, I am certain they are willing to install the STI baffle which should keep your warranty intact, especially if the work was performed by a Suby dealer. What i was trying to suggest is that this is the best option for the "must drop the pan to inspect" group, this is the best way to go. If any early adopters are seriously concerned, i would open up a discussion with your dealer and see if they are willing to work with you. If they are not willing, no biggie, just let the damn thing blow (or not).

I think it might be a good idea to compile a list of known cases and the build date as they are reported. At least that will give some indication if there is a cut off as to when the problem was resolved.
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 10 Acura CSX-S, 17 BRZ
Current: 22 BRZ, 00 S2K - #0220
Petah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:23 AM   #274
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
This is kind of my point in post #222. https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...&postcount=222

While i am not certain if dealers will install non-STi branded parts, I am certain they are willing to install the STI baffle which should keep your warranty intact, especially if the work was performed by a Suby dealer. What i was trying to suggest is that this is the best option for the "must drop the pan to inspect" group, this is the best way to go. If any early adopters are seriously concerned, i would open up a discussion with your dealer and see if they are willing to work with you. If they are not willing, no biggie, just let the damn thing blow (or not).
But they could just drop the pan and inspect the sealant without installing a baffle. The baffle does not eliminate the suspected issue anyway. It would be a band-aid at best.

A list would be a good idea actually. It would help show the real extent of the situation if nothing else. One of the big things with the recall mess was that there were only a handful of actual denials to repair but they posted so much and so often it made it seem far worse than it was. Once the list came out it was obvious that far more dealers were stepping up and taking responsibility for their error than weren't.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:34 AM   #275
Blighty

Garage
Quote:
Don't get your knickers in a knot!
I didn't say they should get a pass nor that they are not responsible for the cars they sell. I said that they don't make the bloody things so can't inspect at the point of manufacture.
This is a MANUFACTURING issue and the plant making the error is ultimately tasked with correcting it.

Toyota has a 20% share in Subaru. This is not a controlling level.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both Toyota and subaru people assessing faults and the solutions to them.

Just because the factory workers are all Subaru, doesn't mean that the engineering and manufacturing design team for the twins are all Subaru - they aren't.

I think 20% is enough to get boots on the ground, as they say
Old 08-02-2022, 10:01 AM   #276
Petah78

Quote:
But they could just drop the pan and inspect the sealant without installing a baffle. The baffle does not eliminate the suspected issue anyway. It would be a band-aid at best.

A list would be a good idea actually. It would help show the real extent of the situation if nothing else. One of the big things with the recall mess was that there were only a handful of actual denials to repair but they posted so much and so often it made it seem far worse than it was. Once the list came out it was obvious that far more dealers were stepping up and taking responsibility for their error than weren't.
You are right that they can drop the pan and inspect without installing the baffle.

I think the post mentioned that the baffle helps in a couple of ways:

1. Prevents the RTV from making it to the bottom of the pan thus it can't be sucked up by pick up. However, i can't see this being legit, unless the RTV is HUGE!
2. The baffle will keep a higher level of oil around the pick up better utilizing the other 4 sides even for oil delivery even if the main surface was clogged.
Past: 92 EG w/JDM B18C, 00 EK w/JDM B18C, 04 600RR, 97 ITR #421, 10 Acura CSX-S, 17 BRZ
Old 08-02-2022, 10:20 AM   #277
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
A buddy of mine was an instructor this past weekend and said the students '22 GR blew up at average pace as he was showing him the lines. He thinks it was a 12/22 build date doesn't remember for sure.

5500 miles.
DocWalt (08-02-2022), Rustyoid (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 10:25 AM   #278
Petah78

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
A buddy of mine was an instructor this past weekend and said the students '22 GR blew up at average pace as he was showing him the lines. He thinks it was a 12/22 build date doesn't remember for sure.

5500 miles.
LOL.....i see time travel is now possible! I am sure you meant 12/21.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petah78 For This Useful Post:
OkieSnuffBox (08-02-2022), Tcoat (08-02-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 10:39 AM   #279
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
You are right that they can drop the pan and inspect without installing the baffle.

I think the post mentioned that the baffle helps in a couple of ways:

1. Prevents the RTV from making it to the bottom of the pan thus it can't be sucked up by pick up. However, i can't see this being legit, unless the RTV is HUGE!
2. The baffle will keep a higher level of oil around the pick up better utilizing the other 4 sides even for oil delivery even if the main surface was clogged.
Or you could just remove the RTV and reseal properly.
This is like saying your heart has clogged arteries so you will get a splint put on your arm to prevent clots.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:48 AM   #280
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,470 Times in 765 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Or you could just remove the RTV and reseal properly.
This is like saying your heart has clogged arteries so you will get a splint put on your arm to prevent clots.

The problem is with the RTV on the pickup and starving the engine of oil, it's already done damage to the bearings and oil pump. Sure you can remove the RTV but you can't remove the damage.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (08-02-2022), timurrrr (08-02-2022)

Tags
oh no not again