follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-25-2022, 05:20 PM   #15
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
A few years back I did a comparison between 10 downable apps and my $1000 professional, calibrated, dB meter.
Turns out that 7 out of 10 were within a dB or so, 2 were off by about 10dB and one wasn't even close enough to say it worked. All were measured at the exact same distance and conditions.
All in all they were at par or better than the couple of $50 meters we had.

I had a lot of issues with the few we tried unless we could get really far away from anything that would reflect sound. The apps seemed way more sensitive to echo.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:27 PM   #16
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I had a lot of issues with the few we tried unless we could get really far away from anything that would reflect sound. The apps seemed way more sensitive to echo.
Reflected noise would have the same effect on an actual meter though. It can always be tricky.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:36 PM   #17
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,323 Times in 7,381 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Reflected noise would have the same effect on an actual meter though. It can always be tricky.

I guess I should say consistency, not accuracy. We were using the automotive standard of X inches at 45 degree so far away from a structure and I couldn’t get far enough away in our parking lot to get repeated readings. Had to go down the street to a Harbor Freight and use their lot.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:45 PM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I guess I should say consistency, not accuracy. We were using the automotive standard of X inches at 45 degree so far away from a structure and I couldn’t get far enough away in our parking lot to get repeated readings. Had to go down the street to a Harbor Freight and use their lot.
Ahhhh
Old 05-25-2022, 05:49 PM   #19
Midnightsky

Drives: 2022 BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You guys are forgetting that sound meters must be calibrated with a tone generator. I have a custom muffler delete on my 2nd Gen BRZ, very much the same results as the remark. Loud on startup, which is to do with the catalytic converters, loud when you stand on it or rev it in neutral, but completely livable on the highway for long trips. If you are worried about your neighbours, don't do a muffler delete, it's that simple. I feel bad when I start mine super late at night, but I've gotten good at quickly backing out of the garage which helps to lower the volume. It also absolutely does NOT sound like a riced out Honda, has a very distinctive tone and have gotten lots of positive feedback from other competitors at autocross. I run consistently below 90DB at autocross as well, these readings are taken at 50ft away, about 4ft up on a stand, which is consistent with SCCA standards for sound testing at autocross and race tracks.
Midnightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midnightsky For This Useful Post:
MikeNSX2 (05-25-2022), NoHaveMSG (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 07:06 PM   #20
MikeNSX2

Drives: Ice Silver 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsky View Post
You guys are forgetting that sound meters must be calibrated with a tone generator. I have a custom muffler delete on my 2nd Gen BRZ, very much the same results as the remark. Loud on startup, which is to do with the catalytic converters, loud when you stand on it or rev it in neutral, but completely livable on the highway for long trips. If you are worried about your neighbours, don't do a muffler delete, it's that simple. I feel bad when I start mine super late at night, but I've gotten good at quickly backing out of the garage which helps to lower the volume. It also absolutely does NOT sound like a riced out Honda, has a very distinctive tone and have gotten lots of positive feedback from other competitors at autocross. I run consistently below 90DB at autocross as well, these readings are taken at 50ft away, about 4ft up on a stand, which is consistent with SCCA standards for sound testing at autocross and race tracks.
I agree.

It's surprising some here are so critical about a muffler delete system for a 2022 BRZ, but have never actually heard one in person.

Last edited by MikeNSX2; 05-25-2022 at 09:32 PM.
MikeNSX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:21 PM   #21
22 BRZ

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ 6MT IR
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsky View Post
I feel bad when I start mine super late at night, but I've gotten good at quickly backing out of the garage which helps to lower the volume.
I've got fairly adept at rolling the car out of the garage with one foot out the door, and then starting it on the driveway. My garage floor is pretty sloped which helps.

I've got a muffler, but it still shakes everything in the garage when I start it inside, which is not ideal late at night.
Midnightsky (05-25-2022)