follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 12-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #3291
Extreme86
Live Free, Drive Hard

Drives: 13 BRZ, 19 WRX, 10 GMC, 20 RAV4
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
There is a tail light gasket diy floating around that, at least for the op, solved the leak issues. I'll add it to this reply if I find it.

Edit: Found it!
Ought to use some of that stuff on the cam plate I'm gonna fix tomorrow! Ended up getting Permatex Ultra Grey rigid high-torque RTV.

Hey, looks like you have some plans in store for C'THULHU !!! Bet, you are getting anxious now.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #3292
tuckdaddy
Because Racecar

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
There is a tail light gasket diy floating around that, at least for the op, solved the leak issues. I'll add it to this reply if I find it.

Edit: Found it!
I'll have to give that a try. Beyond frustrating to have a fish bowl for a drivers tail light..

Thanks!
tuckdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #3293
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Drives: '14 BRZ - WRB Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme86 View Post
Ought to use some of that stuff on the cam plate I'm gonna fix tomorrow! Ended up getting Permatex Ultra Grey rigid high-torque RTV.

Hey, looks like you have some plans in store for C'THULHU !!! Bet, you are getting anxious now.
Either tomorrow or Wednesday!

... his name is...

C'THULHU
Turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #3294
tuckdaddy
Because Racecar

Garage
Not sure about San Antonio but today was a real nice day here in McQueeney for a/c off and windows down fun!
Old 12-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #3295
Extreme86
Live Free, Drive Hard

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckdaddy View Post
Not sure about San Antonio but today was a real nice day here in McQueeney for a/c off and windows down fun!
Yep! Enjoying it before the next cold snap hits. Suppose to be getting some rain on Sat. BRZ is having a 24 hour sealant curing time out. Here's a pic of the back side of cam plate right after I pulled it...
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2013, 02:18 AM   #3296
tuckdaddy
Because Racecar

Garage
Quote:
Yep! Enjoying it before the next cold snap hits. Suppose to be getting some rain on Sat. BRZ is having a 24 hour sealant curing time out. Here's a pic of the back side of cam plate right after I pulled it...
Likewise hoping to do some waterskiing tomorrow. Supposed to hit 75 if nothing else going to be doing some fishing.

Wow, hope the new seal holds better than that one did!
Old 12-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #3297
Extreme86
Live Free, Drive Hard

Garage
Quote:
Either tomorrow or Wednesday!
Allright!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckdaddy View Post
Likewise hoping to do some waterskiing tomorrow. Supposed to hit 75 if nothing else going to be doing some fishing.

Wow, hope the new seal holds better than that one did!
Yeouch. That water is cold man!

Yeah, at least cam plate is easy to get to if it leaks again!
Old 12-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #3298
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Garage
Well, my contact with SoA over in NJ/NY just called. Fedex updated the tracking for the paperwork to arrive this Friday. He was as upset as I was lol! Guess I'll be adding FedEx to the naughty list to receive flaming bags of dog doo on their doorstep.

Quote:
Allright!!!

... his name is...

C'THULHU
Old 12-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #3299
tuckdaddy
Because Racecar

Garage
Quote:
Well, my contact with SoA over in NJ/NY just called. Fedex updated the tracking for the paperwork to arrive this Friday. He was as upset as I was lol! Guess I'll be adding FedEx to the naughty list to receive flaming bags of dog doo on their doorstep.
After fedex backed into my garage door (having to back up a driveway thats 50ft long) they've been on my list. Have not been too impressed with the fedex guys in my area..
Old 12-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #3300
Turkish
Serial Cone Killer

Garage
On the plus side, I brought my 2014 outback loaner as close to a 4 wheel slide as possible. I had to go into the turn with some crazy speed to overcome the nannies that cannot be comepletely turned off. I had about 3 seconds of slide before the car came to a crawl lol. Getting ready for picking up my new ride.

... his name is...

C'THULHU
Old 12-20-2013, 03:03 AM   #3301
FrsRN

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone know a good paint and body shop???. I need a spoiler painted.
FrsRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:49 AM   #3302
Extreme86
Live Free, Drive Hard

Garage
For insurance/collision work.....I go to Jack's Paint Place - http://www.jackspaintplace.com/
Converse, TX

They've always done a good job for me, family members, etc. at least a half dozen times or more in the last 15 years. Color matching and quality of paint work has been excellent. Workmanship as far as putting things back together and aligning panels...it's gonna depend on the technician. They've always been able to make me a happy customer when I've notice a glitch I wasn't happy with. YMMV. It is a clean and well organized shop and they keep their word, deal with the insurance company for you and stand behind their work. They'd likely be a bit expensive painting your spoiler but, I'd trust them 100% to do it right as far as color matching.

My neighbor recently had a car painted at Southwest Paint and Body on Nacogdoches Rd. (I was the taxi driver for my neighbor.) The owner, Jeff Collins, seems like a friendly guy. He is a talker, wheeler dealer and a BSer. He admired my BRZ and commented on the SWP pearl finish. They'd likely give you a better deal than a place like Jack's. SW charged $900 to paint my neighbor's car and that was a pretty good deal for the amount of prep work they did. If I had a spoiler to get painted, I'd check them out and at least get a bid - opinion, etc. They did not have neighbor's car ready when they said it would be ready the day before so we wasted a trip to go and pick it up one evening. FYI. The shop is on a hill and the parking lot is pretty crowded. Use caution if you pay them a visit. Looks like they do a pretty good volume of business. They stay open late in the evenings. Note: They only accept cash for payment. Hmmmm.

One of the things you need to be careful with is the color/finish/paint matching technology of the shop you take it to. If you want it to be perfect, you need to let them know what your expect at the outset. Pearl finish is a bit tricky to get perfect. Also, car paint ain't cheap. The body shop will likely have to buy a quantity of paint in excess of what it will take to paint a spoiler. If you can find a shop that already has some leftover whiteout paint in stock you could get a better deal as they wouldn't have to buy any and may be able to pass that savings on to you. I am assuming you'd want the spoiler to match your car color! If anyone on here has had bodywork/painting done on a whiteout or SWP lately, chime in and tell @FrsRN where you took it!

There are lots of body shops out there so, shop around and deal with one that you'd trust and feel comfortable with. Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:10 AM   #3303
tuckdaddy
Because Racecar

Garage
I echo every last bit of what John said about Jacks paint place! They've done exceptional work on some Jet Ski's and my old truck.
The Following User Says Thank You to tuckdaddy For This Useful Post:
Extreme86 (12-21-2013)
Old 12-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #3304
redrunner

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
x2 for Southwest Paint & Body. I just got my car back yesterday after I hit a deer on the Three Sisters run a few weeks ago (Posting the GoPro video in the Three Sisters Run thread). insurance covered the damages but Jeff was very friendly and helpful, they matched paint very well from what I can see, had the car ready when they said they would and saved me a little money on my deductible. All in all a very good place.
redrunner is offline   Reply With Quote