follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 01-13-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
USMCMike

Drives: 2003 VW Jetta 1.8t
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How much do you like heel-toeing or left foot braking?

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/12/b...tems-in-all-c/

While this is a few days old I just ran across it, and well it's really the first thing I thought of. While I doubt Toyota will put this in a performance car, especially one targeted at "drifters" (God I hate using that term), it's still another nanny system where common sense and harder license tests should really take center stage.
USMCMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:27 AM   #2
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
$5 says the FT will have a normal throttle cable system, at the very least the competition version, anyways. Who cares about the camry's. The FT will be daddy's family car down the road.

Whats wrong with the term drifters?
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:42 AM   #3
USMCMike

Not a fan with the typical sub-culture that follows it. This of course is of no offense to anyone here. But the typical "drifter" you run into is the worst kind of motor-sport enthusiast. Unconcerned with safety, well being, or for the most part learning what they are actually doing as opposed to just figuring out how to imitate it.

Also the term drifting is improperly coined and often is grossly misrepresented in origin. I mean 80's Japan, really? RREEEAALLLLYYYY?

Constant oversteer states have been utilized since basically the beginning of motor-sports, its nothing new.

Really it's just the ignorance that surrounds the typical "scene" that turns me off and greatly undermines the efforts of drivers that really want to be apart of drifting, of mountain pass driving, etc... I assume many of the people here are apart of the latter group I've talked about. Seeing as they joined a forum dedicated to the relaunching of a motor-sports icon, it shows dedication and a love deeper than the need to look cool with neon and bustin phat slides yo.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:00 AM   #4
4agze

Drives: Toyota Corolla SR5
Garage

Its actually ignorance that fuels the mind set, in any motor sport road racing, drag racing and drifting you'll all ways have imitations, people (not just kids) who will have more balls than common sense and you or we can't do nothing about it. Ever since man invented cars we've been racing them, road racing just like the name started off in the back roads of UK, lots of people crashing & dieing to make it safe they build road track that simulate the twist and turns of the road. same goes to drag racing started on the streets and drifting is no different, tell me what motor sport didn't start with stupid people doing reckless stunts.
4agze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:37 AM   #5
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Getting someone to teach you proper technique isn't exactly easily accessible. So people try to learn on their own. I think that is where the ignorance comes from.

I know nothing about the technique of drifting, and as such I have never attempted to do it. If I could get someone to educate me I'd be all over it.
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:35 AM   #6
USMCMike

It's not so much learning how to do it as it is they are just imitating the effect (drifting) without understanding the how and why it's occurring. I never had any teachers past what I could learn from observation and various books and other reference outlets.

Two biggest influences:
http://www.amazon.com/Going-Faster-M...d_bxgy_d_img_b
&
http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Your-...3458326&sr=1-2

I also understand that these types surround every type of motor-sport, but for some reason its as if it's worse now than before. I think I'm just more acutely aware of it. Seeing as when FnF came out and really fucked everything up, I was already doing carting and rally-x and driving the mountain roads. Not for any other reason than the best spirited drives and the most I could learn was from those particular roads. So the current street drag hit it big, than they started doing the highways, than basically FnF3 came out and I had to begin dealing with them on the roads I was on. Worse yet getting the roads I was on patrolled because they wanted to be cool and "drift."

It's selfish, but I'm sure some here will know my viewpoint all too well.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:30 AM   #7
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Drifting. Is NOT. A motorsport.

Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
Siriusly.Andrew

Drives: 1995 Civic DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
^^^^^
Siriusly.Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
lol, I have never seen anyone drifting before or after any fast and furious movie. Most I saw was a guy doing a burnout in the movie parking lot, then proceed to get a ticket, haha
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
USMCMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
Drifting. Is NOT. A motorsport.

I agree.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #11
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
back to the topic, i would hope if they do use an electronic throttle (quite likely on all models, IMO), there is a threshold so that a short left foot brake or a quick blip during a heel-toe downshift doesn't trigger the throttle-cut. that would make the most sense to me (again, only if they implement the system).

i wish the driving tests in this country were more difficult, requiring a better display of skill and common sense during vehicle operation. i think it would save EVERYONE a lot of headaches.

-Mike
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:54 PM   #12
e10rice
Long Waiting Member

Drives: '07 2.0T Passat,'92 Civic dx,'08 xb
I've always wanted to do heel toe. It really does some good while driving. But im a large individual and i could never seam to position my feet right. plus the street isnt always the best place to practice and after i parked my civic due to thieves and bought a camry there was no need to learn.
e10rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
No, its a known fact that anytime popular culture gets ahold of whatever you like to do they're gonna butcher the absolute piss out of it and then a stream of imitators are going to start ruining your 'scene'.

It should also be noted that stereotyping (more along the lines with generalizing) has some crazily direct comparisons with racism and sexism.

Oh, and its not a motorsport. I love these statements, cause its just fun to answer!

Motor Sport

Def. of Motor: . A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy, especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of coils and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical power. (Hey, drift cars have these!)http://www.thefreedictionary.com/motor

Def. of Sport: An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively. Wow, drifting is competitive, requires skill, and has set rules (modern show drifting events that is). Hrrrmmm, how about ONE more defintion...http://www.thefreedictionary.com/sport

Def. of Motorsport:
Motorsport (or motorsports) is the collection of sports which primarily involve the use of motorized vehicles.
Motorsport includes all forms of motor racing as well as non-racing motorized sports.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorsport

or

competitions, esp. races, involving motor vehicles, as automobiles, motorboats, or motorcycles. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/motorsports

Opinion is fun and all, but unfortunately for you, by the definitions given, it is factual that drifting is a motorsport. /sip evening tea

Quote:
Also the term drifting is improperly coined and often is grossly misrepresented in origin. I mean 80's Japan, really? RREEEAALLLLYYYY?
This is correct for the most part. It would be 70's Japan to be exact (when Tsuchiya was first street racing in the mountains). The birth of what the modern drift scene has become, did indeed get its origins from this. As the sport stemmed from Japan itself and was popularized by Tsuchiya. Drifting, in its most basic definition, has been around much much longer than that. Thats obviously not up for debate. I will agree that sometimes people give improper credit to modern drifting for being 'origins' of drifting itself.

Your flame suits, they do nothing!

Last edited by OldSkoolToys; 01-14-2010 at 06:20 PM.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:32 PM   #14
USMCMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post

This is correct for the most part. It would be 70's Japan to be exact (when Tsuchiya was first street racing in the mountains). The birth of what the modern drift scene has become, did indeed get its origins from this. As the sport stemmed from Japan itself and was popularized by Tsuchiya. Drifting, in its most basic definition, has been around much much longer than that. Thats obviously not up for debate. I will agree that sometimes people give improper credit to modern drifting for being 'origins' of drifting itself.
Drifting isn't racing, so saying someone is drifting during a race is a misrepresentation because they aren't "drifting".

This is not drifting, he is not drifting (seeing as drifting is both a noun and a verb).

Yet these styles of racing way predate 70's Japan (excuse me lol).

My not calling drifting a motor-sport is really more out of joking than anything else lol.