follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-30-2023, 06:34 PM   #589
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleisbest View Post
FYI Apex'i has a new single exit exhaust option that is surprising quiet.

Just installed on the car is their N1-X Single Exit exhaust that is paired with their Apex'i non-catted EL header & Catted Front Pipe combo (1st Gen part).

I previously had the Remark muffler delete installed and was pretty familiar with what to expect with single exit exhausts on my previous 1st Gen cars. Expecting that headers would really turn up the volume, I was in search for an exhaust to muffle the noise some while not pissing off the neighbors too much.

The Japan literature advertised 92dbA with this combo and Apex'i USA was pretty confident in those numbers as they are part of the products JASMA certification, so I placed my order. As it seems my car was the first in the US market to get the N1-X single exit version, Apex'i offered to perform install while borrowing the car for product shots & other media. I just got the car back late last week and finally had a chance to put some miles on the new set up.

While I did notice expected small uptick in power (no tune yet), what really surprised me is how shocking quiet this combo is. I really cant believe how quiet it is. I would say it is very similar to stock as far as overall noise volume maybe just a hair louder. Just a little bit more low rpm rumbles with some base but at low noise volumes. No real cabin drone on the freeway so far and cold start is now almost as quiet as the bone stock set up.

We will see if things louden up after a tune and a couple of seasons of track days, but so far very happy.

If anything, I would say it is a bit too quiet now lol

:pics ripped from their recent facebook posts:
So update after a few hundred miles and a couple of autox and track events.

The exhaust is still on the quiet side but I definitely notice a bit more volume than before at low rpm and some mild drone during any engine braking deceleration.

The car is still very quiet for a catless header, single high flow cat, single exhaust set up. Start up is still pretty quiet for being a single exit and not loud enough that I would worry about complaints from the neighbors.
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simpleisbest For This Useful Post:
jongers (02-04-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 11:40 PM   #590
Lucky Ookami

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was thinking about going with the Apex'i N1-X dual exit, but if the single exit is that quiet, then maybe I should go with the single exit instead.
Lucky Ookami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:39 PM   #591
jetvermillion

Drives: '22 BRZ Limited MT
stock vs spec L II comparison:

I'll do warm start and revs this weekend when I have time to drive somewhere secluded.

My phone camera mic picked up the start up tones surprisingly well. I would say the cold starts are even louder in person and boomier than what it sounds like on the video. In the last few seconds of the video you can see how much it quiets down
jetvermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetvermillion For This Useful Post:
BioRebel (02-02-2023), MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires (02-03-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 01:55 PM   #592
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Ookami View Post
I was thinking about going with the Apex'i N1-X dual exit, but if the single exit is that quiet, then maybe I should go with the single exit instead.
The N1-X single has definitely started to open up some since install.
I get some slight in-cabin drone at the 3000rpm mark. But no rasp anywhere and the exhaust tone overall is still on the deep side.

It is still much quieter than the the Tanabe Concept G single I had on my 1st Gen that was still on stock header, stock op, stock fp.

The dual exit is nice as Apexi also offers a bolt n diffuser too
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simpleisbest For This Useful Post:
jongers (02-16-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 03:05 PM   #593
Genmega

Drives: 2023 BRZ Limited CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetvermillion View Post
stock vs spec L II comparison:

I'll do warm start and revs this weekend when I have time to drive somewhere secluded.

My phone camera mic picked up the start up tones surprisingly well. I would say the cold starts are even louder in person and boomier than what it sounds like on the video. In the last few seconds of the video you can see how much it quiets down

How is the exhaust cruising around town and during downshifts? I have the JDL Auto Axleback and it is way too bassy and boomy for my liking. Anything above 3k the exhaust is fine though.
Genmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 03:36 PM   #594
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,471 Times in 766 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmega View Post
How is the exhaust cruising around town and during downshifts? I have the JDL Auto Axleback and it is way too bassy and boomy for my liking. Anything above 3k the exhaust is fine though.

This is very much a gen 2 thing it seems, sadly. We need Helmholtz resonators to cut that noise out
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 03:51 PM   #595
LateOnTheBrakes

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinbillies40 View Post
Let's get a thread started for exhausts on Gen 2's. What fits, what doesn't, and videos of examples.

Here's my car with a 3" resonated Perrin cat back that was a Gen 1 system, direct bolt on with no modifications required.

Where did you get the vinyl decal?
LateOnTheBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:49 PM   #596
KillerBMotorsport

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
We've been working on some muffler deletes.

KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KillerBMotorsport For This Useful Post:
Busybee (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 06:12 PM   #597
jetvermillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmega View Post
Other than the cold start, the exhaust is pretty quiet. There are nice deep tones at lower RPMs but not super loud. If it weren't for the quite annoying cold starts, I would have opted for a louder exhaust. Not bassy or boomy at all, but there is a small amount of drone in 6th around 60-65 mph and whenever you're on throttle. At faster speeds (70mph+) it pretty much sounds stock with 0 drone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
This is very much a gen 2 thing it seems, sadly. We need Helmholtz resonators to cut that noise out
FYI AWE and Apexi N1-X have helmholtz resonators
The Following User Says Thank You to jetvermillion For This Useful Post:
Genmega (02-03-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 06:29 PM   #598
Genmega

Drives: 2023 BRZ Limited CWP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetvermillion View Post
Other than the cold start, the exhaust is pretty quiet. There are nice deep tones at lower RPMs but not super loud. If it weren't for the quite annoying cold starts, I would have opted for a louder exhaust. Not bassy or boomy at all, but there is a small amount of drone in 6th around 60-65 mph and whenever you're on throttle. At faster speeds (70mph+) it pretty much sounds stock with 0 drone.

FYI AWE and Apexi N1-X have helmholtz resonators

I can definitely deal with some drone in 6th. City driving is my main concern. I don't want the cabin to sound all crashing and thrashing while downshifting to a complete stop.
Genmega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 11:53 AM   #599
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
I'm kicking myself for not ponying up for one the ARK setups now that I have the Remark on the car.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:13 PM   #600
jetvermillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I'm kicking myself for not ponying up for one the ARK setups now that I have the Remark on the car.
As the saying goes, buy nice or buy twice 😉 i learned this myself on one of my past cars after going for budget exhausts. terrible fitment and ended up regretting it just a few months later. going to anything but a stock exhaust is almost always exciting. then that phase wears off and you wish you made a better decision
Old 02-06-2023, 12:27 PM   #601
mr.whiskers

Ordered Invidia N2. Should be coming this week. Really excited.
mr.whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:31 PM   #602
mr.whiskers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I threw on my old Perrin 2.5” resonated exhaust over the weekend. I haven’t seen many people using this on the 2nd gens. Fitment was absolutely perfect. I would describe the sound as OEM+. I wanted an exhaust that would fill in the low end before ASC kicks in where the FA24 can sound a little thrashy/agricultural. This is that exhaust. It’s bassy and smooth, but blends seamlessly with ASC towards the top end. Zero drone. Cold starts are a little loud, probably just quiet enough to be neighbor friendly at 5 am on a weekend.
I like the outside clip, sounds really deep. But goddamn the artificial noise ruins everything in the second video
mr.whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote