follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #15
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyo View Post
This is technically how the dealer is told to install these, or at least somewhere close to that. Is this what yours looks like?

Try to complain if that's what they did, but not sure you're guaranteed any replacements. Painting the plugs sounds like a decent alternative if they won't cover a new bumper.
Wow. I'm not sure what Scion suggests, but the install kit I got would have resulted in the two large holes only. Thankfully the shop I used did not install the plate for me, and after duly alerting me to the law I put the plate in the dash and drove off. I ended up using the magnet trick for mine, not sure that works on a Scion (it might...)

Regardless, the kits provided DO require additional holes, and when the state law mandates the front plate and the dealer does the install, that's how it goes.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:12 PM   #16
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enders FRS View Post
No. It will cause more turbulence, and will degrade the efficiency of the stock set up slightly. But would not cause failure.

But because I'm not an Aerospace Engineer, I ran it past my fiancé, who is one semester shy of completing her coursework on her doctorate in computational fluid dynamics, I asked her. She said its fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, it's probably fine but I just remember from years of watching WRC that it was a big deal when something even partially blocked the radiator. Of course, their tolerances are probably much lower than a stock car.

As silly as it may sound, the front license plate law is a big reason why I refuse to live in some states. A lot of cars like this simply aren't designed well to accommodate a big, ugly plate. So much for optimized aerodynamics.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:53 AM   #17
jamies31

Drives: 2014 Scion Frs (Argento)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
That is not even close to how the mount is supposed to be installed to the front bumper, Its sad to see some people at the dealership cant even take the time to read the instructions that come in the bag with the mount
jamies31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:06 AM   #18
adamg

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
As silly as it may sound, the front license plate law is a big reason why I refuse to live in some states.
adamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:24 PM   #19
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Wow...I bought my car in California and ALL the FRS' on the lot were not drilled. They told me that customers kept complaining about a drilled bumper so they stopped on all FRS'.

They're just feeding you BS.

Hence my California bought FRS with no drill holes and tow hook for license plate

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #20
wrussi

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
you most likely wont get anywhere with it since technically it is a part required by law.

YOU should have checked and noticed that the car already had the front liscence bracket on BEFORE signing, requested another vehicle that didnt had the bracked installed or requested a repair.

as a guy with OCD, on all my car purchases (yes even new) before final paperwork is signed i like to go out with the sales guy and point out any dents, scratches or imperfections that i notice. if there is anything major (bumper scratches underneath from transport dings or scratches on interior panels) i like to get a signed promise to repair from the dealership before i continue signing. they hate me but hey i dont care.
wrussi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wrussi For This Useful Post:
tennisfreak (01-12-2015)
Old 01-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #21
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrussi View Post
you most likely wont get anywhere with it since technically it is a part required by law.

YOU should have checked and noticed that the car already had the front liscence bracket on BEFORE signing, requested another vehicle that didnt had the bracked installed or requested a repair.

as a guy with OCD, on all my car purchases (yes even new) before final paperwork is signed i like to go out with the sales guy and point out any dents, scratches or imperfections that i notice. if there is anything major (bumper scratches underneath from transport dings or scratches on interior panels) i like to get a signed promise to repair from the dealership before i continue signing. they hate me but hey i dont care.
This x 1000.

I worked my deal over the internet and when I arrived they pulled it around front for me to inspect. After parking the little shop fellow that popped out of the driver seat went straight to the front bumper with a bracket in hand. I promptly told them if he put that thing on the bumper I would not sign.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:14 PM   #22
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Front plate is law in my state too, but I told the dealership when I ordered my car, and again when they called to tell me it had arrived, that if they drilled the front bumper or mounted the front bracket in any way, the deal was off. They complied with my wishes.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #23
BlueSky

Drives: 2015 Aozora BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
It's the law in Ontario too, I got lucky when I picked mine up the dealer asked if I wanted it drilled centered or offset
Told him not to worry about it, he mentioned he had received tickets for no front plate ($110) but I have been lucky so far
BlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:11 AM   #24
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I made it a point to not have my license plate drilled in before picking up my car. I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over for a front plate in California.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #25
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I made it a point to not have my license plate drilled in before picking up my car. I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over for a front plate in California.
Keep in mind that this may be because it's a secondary offense and not a primary offense.

I don't know the laws there, but a secondary offense is something they can write you a ticket for it they have already pulled you over, but they can't pull you over simply for a secondary offense.

It's a primary offense here so I run a Raceseng mount.
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #26
jeffsquared

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 Series #1186
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
My state requires front plates. This picture in this post illustrates almost exactly how the dealer installed it. Mine might be a little bit higher but not touching the painted part of the bumper.

At least they didn't drill holes into the painted part. If they're told to drill into the paint then I guess thankfully my dealer did it wrong

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1411145&postcount=13

Yeah, it blocks airflow a bit, and I wish I didn't need the front plate, but the holes are already drilled.
2013 FR-S 10 Series #1186
jeffsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:43 PM   #27
2much
I wanna go fast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by msugi07 View Post
Hey guys,

So I purchased my FRS brand-new from the Livermore California dealership. After owning the car for about one week, I decided to take the black bracket off of the front bumper and noticed that they installed the bracket incorrectly. They installed additional screws drilling into the painted part of the bumper. After discovering this I contacted the dealership right away. The dealership stated that they were instructed by Toyota to install the front license plate this way. At this point I have contacted Scion to try and get someone there to help me. Anyone with any ideas on how I can get this resolved?
my dealer did the same thing!
2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:11 PM   #28
Sugi

Drives: 2015 FR-S - Halo
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much View Post
my dealer did the same thing!
I still have not got this resolved. let me know if you find out anything