follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
kai-wun

Drives: 2013 Subaru WRX 5dr SWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WRX -> FR-S?

Hey,

Currently drive a 2013 WRX 5dr SWP. The hatch is super practical, the AWD is definitely nice in low traction, and the power/torque is awesome (I came from a Civic ...)

However, the fuel economy is .... worse than I thought. Not even driving it aggressively, I can only manage a 12.5-13L/100km. It didn't really matter since I didn't use to drive far (the first year I've only put on 15k km on it) but pretty soon I will need to do a 80km/day commute.

The other day there was a Scion dealership so I popped in to test drive an FR-S 6MT.

My thoughts as follows:
-The seats were great. Comfier than the WRX's.
-The blindspot visibility is kinda sucky. Not fair to compare to a 5dr hatch.
-Gearbox felt AWESOME. In comparison, WRX feels rubbery and super long throws (a short shift kit is typically recommended)
-The lack of power/torque was surprisingly OK. It was obviously slower but not painfully such. I went WOT on an onramp and it FELT like I was going much faster (much closer to the ground). So that's good.
-FR-S is a lot louder, engine didn't feel as smooth, a lot more NVH. Not that I mind, but I was surprised how much quieter/smoother the WRX felt.

So if I decide to move forward with this, I'll gain:

-fun to drive-ness, the WRX was much faster but not as exciting/precise
-fuel economy: if I can squeeze 9L/100km out of the FR-S; I can potentially save $75-100/mo in fuel costs. That's significant!
-should be a lower monthly payment

I'll lose:

-speed/power: not a huge deal ... With the WRX, I get to 140km/hr way too easily, and that's a huge fine. Not worth the fear. And it's not like the FR-S is slow by any means.
-AWD. Hm. How does the FR-S do in the snow with good winter tires? How about an incline?
-Practicality. I rarely carry more than one other passenger. I rarely utilize the entire hatch space, though it's nice to know it's there. I suppose I can always borrow my parent's SUV if I ever needed the space ...

Decisions decisions ... I'd love to have both, but don't have the budget nor the space for that.

Would love your thoughts. Has anyone come from a turbocharged AWD hatch and never looked back?
kai-wun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
bedabi

Drives: '13 CBS BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Traded in a 2004 lightly modded WRX for my 2013 BRZ. I'll admit some buyer's remorse this past, harsh winter. But overall I have no regrets. I also pay slightly lower insurance premiums.
bedabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I'd trade ya
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
J_kennington

Drives: 2013 asphalt scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Not quite as new as your wrx. But I came from my 90 eclipse awd hatch. As fun as the car was, I honestly have more fun in the frs. After building every piece I could on the eclipse, it's too much power for normal street driving. So, I retired to 95% track and 5% street. Only thing I miss in dailying the eclipse is the sound of the turbo and bov.
2005 Yamaha yz250f
J_kennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I switched from an STI hatch. In my opinion, if you don't need the practicality of the WRX, you'll have more fun in the FR-S.

Lightweight + RWD =

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #6
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
There are definitely times when having my WRX hatch again would be useful. I need to get a new rolling garbage bin from Lowe's. It's only about five miles away, but there's no way I can fit it in my car. I'm going to have to rent one of their trucks to drive a garbage can for five miles.

If I had my choice, I'd have my twin and a Tacoma. Best of both worlds.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
MokSpeed (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #7
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
You can weigh your needs better than any of us. I feel like if you'll be dealing with snow and harsh driving conditions often, then stick with the WRX. A little bit of fun every now and then isn't worth daily headaches and inconveniences.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #8
FlamingRectumSyndrome
Shriveled Old Member

Drives: 14 Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Regarding snow tires and rear-wheel drive:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/boot/lon...?click=main_sr

"We blew $700 on a set of Michelin winter tires that, in conjunction with the electronic stability control, worked so well that we occasionally wondered why anyone feels the need for all-wheel drive. But mostly, we shut off the electronic nannies and drove the BRZ through the snow as it was made to be driven—cocked sideways, spitting huge roostertails of snow and sand. Sure, it’s adolescent behavior, but it’s also damn fun. To say we’ve rekindled our love for the Subaru is an understatement. Few cars can make a middle-aged man feel like a kid, and the ones that do should be cherished."

FlamingRectumSyndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamingRectumSyndrome For This Useful Post:
Ammonia (05-02-2014), Superhatch (05-01-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #9
Adam Anthony

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Base Firestorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai-wun View Post
Hey,

-AWD. Hm. How does the FR-S do in the snow with good winter tires? How about an incline?

Decisions decisions ... I'd love to have both, but don't have the budget nor the space for that.

Would love your thoughts. Has anyone come from a turbocharged AWD hatch and never looked back?
Well, I live in Chicago where we had one of the worst winters for snow in its history. I drove the FR-S all winter with snow tires on it (GOOD ONES mind you) and never once had an issue. I drove from Iowa City to Chicago (3 1/2 hours - 4 hrs) through a snow storm and didn't have a single issue. I would say that I am very very impressed with snow handling with snow tires. It does act as a snow plow on occasion (i.e. when there is 12 inches of snow on the ground) but I still had no issue getting through it. Oh, also, I wasn't going on many inclines and those I did, I don't recall having an issue.
Adam Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
Rustyspoon

Drives: FR-S, XJS, C10
I slapped a set of wrg3 (nokian all weather tire) on it and have had zero issues with a northern alberta winter. And I can get 6 l/100 doing 80km/hour. Average is closer to 8 with a mix of city/highway and some spirited driving. With some creative packing its amazing what fits in the car when your alone.

Edit: the nannies make this car so easy to drive in bad weather its not even funny. no wonder so many crash when they disable them, false sense of driving ability!
Rustyspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #11
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Sounds like the only downside for you would be winter driving, budget for good snow tires on a cheap set of wheels seems to be the way to go.

The Toyobaru is surprisingly practical for storage with the rear seat folded down, takes me about five minutes to load up my roadbike and a traveling stuff for the weekend. Only downside is fitting four people is a pain, definitely possible but you need patient friends.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #12
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Only downside is fitting four people is a pain, definitely possible but you need patient friends.
That actually works better by folding the seat down as well. You can stack them in the back like firewood.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
JoeHK (05-04-2014), raven1231 (05-01-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #13
djmm

Drives: toyota
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Fuel shouldn't be that high. Was it a brand new car? I'm still breaking in the car, currently at around 900k but fuel averages around 10ish L /100km. for city driving.

But I don't rev the shit of the car though as I still have to maintain less than 4000 rpm.

Getting in and out of the car is a pain especially if you try to be careful not to kick and dirty the lower door panel. But the reward is super low seating of course.
djmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #14
Havsie

Drives: 13 FR-S Whiteout 6MT
I don't know what those fuel economy numbers are in Freedom Units, but a FR-S isn't going to be significantly better than a WRX when it comes to fuel economy. You'll definitely save a few bucks, but I don't know if it's worth the depreciation/trade in hit with your WRX. My last tank averaged 28mpg (or whatever that is in metric) which is nothing spectacular.

You'll have to consider that into your "savings" as well. If you lose 3000 bucks on your WRX to save a few dollars each month, you'll need to drive your FR-S for 50 years to break even.
Havsie is offline   Reply With Quote