follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #29
Hot Lava
The Antiriced

Drives: women wild
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm reminded of the most serious accident I had on my CB750. Rounded a corner, hit a patch of gas and slammed down on my knee. Bruised it bad but not seriously. Would not have been a problem in the FR. Just the other day a guy turned right in front of me. An inch and THAT car made all the difference. I was actually thrilled to experience that amount of control. Brakes and handling shined par excellence. Car banked $$$$$ itself in 3 seconds flat. He was on his damned cell phone! The very reason I quit riding. So to sum it up. I have a lot more fun in the FR than I'd ever allow myself on a bike.
Hot Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #30
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
No disrespect but if you are following so closely that if they decide to turn at the last second you risk hitting them:

YOU ARE FOLLOWING TOO CLOSELY

You should always obey a 2-4 second cushion between you and the vehicle in front of you and that is one of many fundamental rules that must be obeyed at all times to stay safe (especially on a motorcycle).

Trying to teach my two teenagers to drive properly and we just covered this last night on the way to a Mavericks game. Some dumbass a couple lanes over was tailgating the vehicle in front and I was telling my teenager how unsafe that was and how to properly gauge how far to trail a leading vehicle. Right as we are talking about it the lead vehicle hit his brakes and the jackass following swerved violently into another lane to avoid a rear end collision.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #31
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I saw that yesterday with a motorcycle. The guy was doing 60 mph down the road, just sitting 5 feet off the bumper of the car in front of him. There was plenty of room to go around, which makes me think he just wasn't paying attention. If the car had had to stop, the motorcycle rider would be paste. At least he was wearing a helmet with his shorts and t-shirt, that way the coroner can identify the remains.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #32
Mooseknuckle44

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
I saw that yesterday with a motorcycle. The guy was doing 60 mph down the road, just sitting 5 feet off the bumper of the car in front of him. There was plenty of room to go around, which makes me think he just wasn't paying attention. If the car had had to stop, the motorcycle rider would be paste. At least he was wearing a helmet with his shorts and t-shirt, that way the coroner can identify the remains.
Something I believed in thoroughly was wearing the right gear. Helmet, gloves, boots and a jacket. ALWAYS. If I was going out specifically for mountain twisties and general stupidity I put on my full leathers. Just back and forth to work Jeans would suffice as I typically wasn't being too stupid. But I rode real bikes, none of this cruiser crap. And before the hating starts on that last comment let me say this. I owned a 99 Nomad 1500(Harley in Kawi clothing for those that don't know) and it was a ton of bricks, slow, boring POS in my opinion. Beautiful bike but on a 1-10 scale of FUN, it was a 0.
As I stated earlier I rode pretty wrecklessly in most people's eyes but some of that "wrecklessness" was my desire to be in front. I do not like not being ale to see what's coming.

So the guy you saw riding 5 feet from the car in front of him has OBVIOUSLY never had some object on the road appear out of no where. Because it's nearly impossible to see the stuff in front of the car in front of you. If I was EVER on someone's ass I was over on the yellow line so I could see around them and prepare to pass. And I often passed whenever I could, dotted line or not. The further I distanced myself from traffic the safer I felt.

The FRS affords me the same lack of forward vision as my bikes did and maybe even worse. Only problem is it doesn't have the quick spinnup to pass as easily as the crotch rockets did. So I hang back now in the 2-4 second zone. Usually.
Mooseknuckle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mooseknuckle44 For This Useful Post:
LXXXV1 (04-30-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #33
FlamingRectumSyndrome
Shriveled Old Member

Drives: 14 Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseknuckle44 View Post
As I stated earlier I rode pretty wrecklessly in most people's eyes but some of that "wrecklessness" was my desire to be in front. I do not like not being ale to see what's coming.
"wreckless" = "not wrecking"

"reckless" = "doing stupid, dangerous stuff"

You're welcome.
FlamingRectumSyndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlamingRectumSyndrome For This Useful Post:
gramicci101 (04-29-2014), Mooseknuckle44 (04-29-2014), Silver Ignition (04-29-2014), SloS14 (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #34
Mooseknuckle44

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Love my grammar nazi. I actually didn't even realize I was utilizing that incorrectly.
Which is bad for me cause I'm something of a nazi myself. But it's more with speech than grammar. Thanks for correcting me.
Mooseknuckle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #35
kludger

Drives: '13 Boxter S, '13 BRZ(gone)
I am in a similar as the OP, getting older motorcyclist with family responsibilities.

Now that I have my BRZ I end up driving it instead of my VFR800 to the same twisty roads I ride on the motorcycle, and I find that I still have a great time since it keeps up with the sport bikes in the corners fine with no problem, so great to have two fun vehicles to choose from for the twisties.

Name:  BRZBikes.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  142.7 KB
kludger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kludger For This Useful Post:
italy7 (04-29-2014), Mooseknuckle44 (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #36
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
The FR-S is very much like a motorcycle. Drive it using the same mindset you use when riding and it's even more fun. It's a damn fine little car.
its nothing like a motorcycle. i love cars always have always will. i love my frs more than any car ive had but no car compares to a motorcycle. i miss my r6
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #37
gily25

Drives: Silica BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you want to feel the breeze blow by you can always buy a Wrangler as a friend for your FR-S. It's not the same as a ride on a bike (Jeep & Harley owner here) but it still gives you a "free" feeling. Plus you can take along others to share it with you.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #38
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftartist View Post
its nothing like a motorcycle. i love cars always have always will. i love my frs more than any car ive had but no car compares to a motorcycle. i miss my r6
To bad you all miss the point, I guess. The FR-S responds just like a bike to entry and exit setup, corner speed and all the rest. The classic MC article "The Pace" applies just as much to this car as it does bikes. People that bitch about it could benefit from some time on a 300 and learn some energy management. The FR-S rocks not only because of what it is and can do even stock, but what it can teach you. Most people seem to be unwilling or unable to learn, though.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tromatic For This Useful Post:
bcj (04-30-2014), FlamingRectumSyndrome (04-29-2014), Hot Lava (04-29-2014), italy7 (04-29-2014), kludger (04-29-2014), Mooseknuckle44 (04-29-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #39
wrussi

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos512 View Post
Agreed. The FR-S is great fun but my CBR1000RR is another plane.
agreed!
wrussi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wrussi For This Useful Post:
driftartist (04-29-2014), tennisfreak (04-30-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #40
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
lol
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #41
Hot Lava
The Antiriced

Drives: women wild
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
No disrespect but if you are following so closely that if they decide to turn at the last second you risk hitting them:

YOU ARE FOLLOWING TOO CLOSELY

You should always obey a 2-4 second cushion between you and the vehicle in front of you and that is one of many fundamental rules that must be obeyed at all times to stay safe (especially on a motorcycle).

Trying to teach my two teenagers to drive properly and we just covered this last night on the way to a Mavericks game. Some dumbass a couple lanes over was tailgating the vehicle in front and I was telling my teenager how unsafe that was and how to properly gauge how far to trail a leading vehicle. Right as we are talking about it the lead vehicle hit his brakes and the jackass following swerved violently into another lane to avoid a rear end collision.

Actually, I was in a left turn lane but I do understand you're conclusion. Didn't elaborate. Haven't been in an accident in twenty years and that was a drunk drivers fault. Only one accident on my bike in seven years and I described that already. So some more lessons for the kids. Take care and moderate your speed in a left turn at a light. Don't drink and drive. Hang up and drive. AND WATCH FOR BIKES! Oh and kudos to the Mavs. Never thought they'd handle the Spurs so well.
Hot Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #42
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
To bad you all miss the point, I guess. The FR-S responds just like a bike to entry and exit setup, corner speed and all the rest. The classic MC article "The Pace" applies just as much to this car as it does bikes. People that bitch about it could benefit from some time on a 300 and learn some energy management. The FR-S rocks not only because of what it is and can do even stock, but what it can teach you. Most people seem to be unwilling or unable to learn, though.
No disrespect in all but I don't see any correlation between a car and a motorcycle when it comes to handling characteristics. I think you mean the FR-S has very precise steering and feedback but it's nothing compared to the enter and exit of an apex on a moto.