follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2015, 12:17 AM   #15
gabrielthethird

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Understated View Post
The Retrofit Source has a perfect kit for us wanting to upgrade to HIDs in the headlights properly, since the stock projectors are not designed for HID bulbs: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...-frs-2012.html

For your fog lights, a lot of people will just throw in an HID bulb and be done with it. Keep in mind though HIDs are NOT desgned for glare housings that use halogen bulbs (heat won't be an issus with the glass, just plastic replacement covers are). Since HIDs are significantly brighter/more powerful, the glare to oncoming traffic can be uncomfortable if the light isn't directed properly, hence why projector lenses are used for HID/Xenon bulbs.

Up to you, personally I'm going to be grabbing a cheap set of low beam projectors and retro-ing them into the fog housings... Later on when my wallet isn't crying of course. Haha

this was extremely helpful. thank you!!

regarding our headlights, I'm sure it would be beneficial to purchase the right projector for the HID but i'm not trying to break the bank.

Installing a 35w 6k HID set is fine with me if others have not run into any problems!
gabrielthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:18 AM   #16
gabrielthethird

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardabernethy View Post
A 6000k 55w set will appear almost pure white compared to a 6000k 35w which is slightly blue.

ahhhh thank you!

the hint of blue is fine with me tbh
Old 01-23-2015, 12:20 AM   #17
gabrielthethird

let me ask everyone another question.

What is your preference when it comes to DRL replacements if I'm going with 6k HID's?????

Anyone??????
Old 01-23-2015, 12:22 AM   #18
KI_ZN6

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Many of our customers are running 35 6000k HID kit on their FR-S and they are very happy with the improved visiblity with such an easy upgrade

We are running our PlatinumR Slim HID Kit (35w, 6000k) on our FR-S as CAN-BUS ballasts are not required for the Scion FR-S.
KI_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:24 AM   #19
richardabernethy

Drives: 2014 FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthethird View Post

What is your preference when it comes to DRL replacements if I'm going with 6k HID's?????

Anyone??????
Aren't too many options unfortunately, many guys get LED Drls which look good but render the high beams useless, I opted to just disable to Drls which is very simple, done by unplugging a resistor located behind the passenger side fog light locations. This has no effect on the high beams
richardabernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:30 AM   #20
gabrielthethird

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI_ZN6 View Post
Many of our customers are running 35 6000k HID kit on their FR-S and they are very happy with the improved visiblity with such an easy upgrade

We are running our PlatinumR Slim HID Kit (35w, 6000k) on our FR-S as CAN-BUS ballasts are not required for the Scion FR-S.
thank you! i appreciate everyones input.

ill do more research on you guys and see what i can scrape together! haha
Old 01-23-2015, 12:31 AM   #21
gabrielthethird

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardabernethy View Post
Aren't too many options unfortunately, many guys get LED Drls which look good but render the high beams useless, I opted to just disable to Drls which is very simple, done by unplugging a resistor located behind the passenger side fog light locations. This has no effect on the high beams

ya that's what i've noticed. LED's are the way to go in that regard.

thank you for your opinion but i'd personally like to keep the DRLs. Any suggestions or have heard of any specific type of LED FR-S owners have purchased and enjoyed?
Old 01-23-2015, 12:34 AM   #22
KI_ZN6

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quote:

Anyone??????

For DRLs/high beams, there are 3 popular options.

For simple halogen bulb upgrade, the halogen bulb is either tinted blue for a arctic white color output or tinted yellow to give off a hyper yellow color output. This option does not give you any benefit other than appearance. The high beam function is same as OEM.

Another option is a simple LED bulb upgrade. LED bulbs will be primarily a cosmetic/appearance upgrade for the DRLs. The only drawback is the high beam mode is not as effective as OEM halogen bulbs because the LED chips used in these LED bulbs are not designed to project light far enough to act as high beams. The high beams, when activated, will turn on but will not be as effective anymore.

The last option is a LED headlight kit. This is actually a significant upgrade which uses power CREE LEDs to achieve a high light output (concentrated, power beam). With this LED headlight kit, you will immediately notice a substantial improvement over the factory halogen bulbs and both the DRLs and high beams will be very bright.

We carry all 3 options and which setup is best for you would depend on your personal preference.

Feel free to contact us via private message or email if you have any questions or require assistance
KI_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:50 AM   #23
richardabernethy

Drives: 2014 FRS
I put an LED headlight kit in my tundra recently replacing the the factory halogens and what an improvement. I actually prefer them over the HIDs in my frs
richardabernethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:46 AM   #24
The_Understated
Hooner in training... eh?

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
ya that's what i've noticed. LED's are the way to go in that regard.

thank you for your opinion but i'd personally like to keep the DRLs. Any suggestions or have heard of any specific type of LED FR-S owners have purchased and enjoyed?
Some have gone far enough to wire DRLs to be separate from the high beams entirely, going with a Mercedes look with the straight line of LEDs where the Fogs would go. This requires someone who knows the process or being very familiar with wiring for these cars since you'll essentially need to make your own harness with relays for this to work. Reason being you need to separate the low and high voltage signal going to the one High beam bulb for the two functions. High beam voltage goes to high beam, low voltage for DRL goes to your relocated DRL. Not as easy as it sounds but it's incredibly unique.

IMO, if you're not hitting the big highways/interstates often and only drive around the city at night, going with an LED DRL could be fine; I'd recommend dropping the DRL and retaining your high beam function though. Better to have it when you need it if worse comes to worse.

Tags
fog lights, headlights, hid